Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [2] , given: 6

LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 12:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Alright then, I will keep this short and simple: Although there isn't a lot of activity (or at least as much as MBA) about Masters in Management programmes, I am putting up this thread to give anyone the chance to inquire/ask anything about LBS MiM. Classes have started off this week and if anyone wants to know anything about the application process or the course, do let me know.
B'bye
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (going there) LSE, HEC, ESSEC (offers... but no thanks)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 5

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
@anner: congrats on your GMAT, that's an impressive score!

@nezhmet&sgrssr: I'll be waiting for your questions ;-)

About HEC: I did get admitted for specialized masters but did not apply for masters of science

Between MiM & HEC specialized masters : I think MiM at LBS is better on many points: it's 11 months long without internship, way more famous outside France/Europe and a masters is a diploma, where advanced masters is just a programme. The content is also broader and international. As I said before, I did talk with many HR directors to make up my mind between LSE, HEC and ESSEC. They feel like HEC's reputation outside Europe doesn't reach LBS. I did not apply to MIB at HEC.

If you are choosing between Masters of science at HEC and Masters at LBS, then I don't really know. MiM is new, not ranked yet, but LBS has a reputation, and I can garantee they are good in marketing their programmes (you should see the package they send to admits). I didn't like HEC's way of treating applicants and global class atmosphere (so pretentious people!), but that's just a personal feeling (very bad one btw). After visiting both campuses, I can tell you LBS is better ;-) I love the Laing house concept (a building just for MiM students, really nice! see some pictures on the MiM's Facebook page).

But remember: there is no wrong choice! We are talking about the best schools in Europe/World and the difference in your career path will mostly come from you ;-) But since I spend 22k, I prefer to do it where I feel confortable, happy and welcome.

Let me know if I missed something.
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 210

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
Good stuff MJ - hope things are well. We have had nearly a week full of classes at the MBA. We should get together one day at Windsor.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 6

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 04:38
This post received
KUDOS
arvs212 wrote:
hi MJ,

i wuld like to know abt the admission procedure and stuff, and also the job opprtunites f tis course., in general your overall exprnc ter..:P

hi there! Admission process is quite similar to other major b-schools but let me just say that the whole MiM team is very considerate throughout the process and they will make sure you are on track at all times. Just as applying at any other place, you need a bachelors (any field) transcript, english proficiency proof, CV, two references, application essays, online application and of course the GMAT. If short-listed, clear the interview and you are on your way to London!
I can't give any data or concrete facts as far as the job opportunities are concerned but given how the LBS brand sells its other programmes, we are betting (hopeful) that the MiM employment report won't look very different from the MBA or MiF.
Its just been a week since the course started and its been great so far, we have had several seminars, several psychometric tests and their results, formulated study group contracts, enjoyed a long night at the sundowners (i-e drinks at the effectively LBS bar), talks from the Managing editor of FT and the Lord Mayor of London and the best evening yet was Friday's BBQ. I would say its been a quite awesome first week, far above expectations.

keep posting here and i'll update you folks with the latest.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS MiM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2009, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
@guptaabhi87: I am also an MiM 2010 student and yes, there are some who are interested in energy. I also know that some did interships with major energy companies. MiM students have access to all student clubs, and so if someone is interested in energy it is no problem to get involved with the energy club or any other related one. Obviously in a one-year programme you cannot have academic classes focusing on energy. Energy companies are also very active recruiters at LBS, I remember career service talking about Shell and BP in specific.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 04:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Since this thread helped me these last months and because people are asking for an admit to share his profile, here is mine :
Admitted on round 2
- French (TOEFL iBT 114 + fluent in Portuguese)
- Generalist engineering grande école (~masters in engineering with business electives). I was in the maybe top 5%, maybe top 10% (no ranking system, sorry)
- GMAT 690
- International experience : exchange programme @Virginia Tech & internship in IT in NYC + a few personal projects in Brazil & Canada
- Doing another internship at the moment in France with L'Oréal
- Lots of extra curricular activites
- Motivated, really! And for many reasons

My interview took place on LBS campus (btw you have to see Laing house!) and I got to meet students. The staff was really nice and welcoming (which is not true everywhere!).

I will be glad to answer your questions (if I know the answers)! I also feel like 22k is an investment, and I think that LBS will do what it takes to build MiM a worldwide reputation. I spoke with many HR directors in order to make my decision, and they all agree on the fact that this programme is worth it, even though it's expensive.

Last edited by guillaumeverdier on 28 Feb 2010, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 5

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 00:54
This post received
KUDOS
First, congrats to everybody who got the interview (most of you apparently).

@kitsune: I agree with sgrssr, it's amazing everyone got the interview, but take a look at those profiles! crazy GMAT scores, international profiles with diversity and some work experience in different domains... I would have been surprised if they didn't have had the interview!

About my interview:
I had it @LBS, with the recruitment and Admissions Manager. It was a bit less than 1 hour long, and I managed to have it on the same day as the information session. I got to meet MiM students and visit the school & Laing house, which for those of you who have never been there, is just amazing!!!

I found the questions and the interview very nice compared to HEC or ESSEC for example. The interviewer was friendly, had interesting questions on my profile and knew my résumé and essays. Of course, the "be yourself" advice is useless since you will never be yourself in an interview. But don't try to appear as someone you're not. They will notice! They have recruitment experience, and WILL mostly ask you the questions you fear ;-)
Read your essays many times, try to talk with students before the interview, look at the content of the courses, etc. Know the programme and be prepared to justify why LBS, why MiM, why now. And if you tell your presented other programmes, explain why. Be honest!

Prepare a short presentation of yourself (5min maximum) without reading your résumé. Try putting things that are not in your essays too. Remember the interviewer is not always familiar with the studies in your country, or with your domain of studies, so make it simple but interesting!!!

At the end of my interview, I wasn't sure about how it had gone. I had the feeling it was a nice conversation, nothing like an interview. I also knew I had made some mistakes... But apparently, it worked!!

I'll be waiting for your questions...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 02:02
This post received
KUDOS
@ismvks

I agree with Kitsune , try to apply in R4 if possible.You will definitely need a high GMAT and good essays to make a strong case...

@Kitsune ..

Probably the things in his favor are :

1) The gpa at his school is not relative. It would rather be better interpreted as 61 % than a GPA of 6.1.
2)Indian School of Mines is a great brand (they take their intake through IIT JEE!).
3) He seems to have some great extra curriculars...

Go ahead ...prepare your app well and APPLY....

No matter what ..No1 ever got in without applying ;)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 306 [1] , given: 22

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 03:14
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

good luck to all of you with your apps. I applied in R2 and got dinged after the interview.

I told bb to move the topic here, hope you don't mind.

Finally I just wanted to introduce an idea. This is just my opinion, but maybe in R4/5 they have enough 'sharks' in the class and they may look for different profiles such as people with an extraordinary achievement in music/volunteering or something like that. If your gpa/gmat is not 'impressive' but you have something like I say before, maybe you'll got a place.

Anyway, good luck again!

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
@ kitsune: I think the presentation question is only for the MBA interviews. Your interview sounds very similar to mine. The majority of the questions were about Why LBS? What are the advantages/disadvantages of the other programs you applied to? Strengths/Weaknesses, What will be the most difficult part of the program for you? It was very conversational. He was German so he told me a lot about his undergrad in Germany and we discussed how the American university system differs (he also attended Harvard, which coincidentally was where we had our interview). We also talked about the alumni network and career center, because I asked him what he thought the recruitment prospects were for Media. There was also the standard question of give an example of a conflict you faced in school and in work. I definitely could've been more specific there, and he did follow up with asking if my coworkers ever had a personal issue with me taking charge in the situation I mentioned. (We were all stressed w/one another at the time, so probably a little bit, but we're all very close friends now). He definitely threw some tricky questions my way, including some that I think were testing my integrity/honesty. For instance, he asked me why I didn't lie to my employers and take a full time position I was just offered and quit in a few months rather than telling them about my grad school plans. We also discussed my financial situation. He finished by saying he thought the program would be a good investment for me, which I'm hoping is a good sign, but who knows? It lasted about an hour, but it flew by.

ETA: I think part of the reason the questions are so generic is because the interviewers did not go through the MiM themselves and because it's a pre-experience program. We did discuss the teaching style and workload of LBS in general and some of the faculty, but other than that, the alumni probably can't give too much program specific information.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
@ sgrssr

Try not to be too nervous. I've had the opportunity to work closely and develop personal relationships with very high level execs (CEOs, Managing Directors, CMOs) from various sectors and except for one instance, every single one has been incredibly helpful and friendly. And even in that instance the exec in question was friendly to me, just horrible to the employees in his department. Try to view the interviewer as someone to learn from, rather than as someone intimidating. They're just regular people! It's when you put them on a pedestal that things start to go downhill. I had a supervisor who was so intimidated by the execs we were working with that she let them walk all over her and lost control of the whole situation. She just crumbled. It was awful to watch.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
@Voodoo,

I have to correct you here. The LSE program that is ranked in the FT (I think this is where we all got the 71k USD figure from) is the 1 year MSc in Management and Strategy. There is a new programme (started last year I think) which is the 2 years MSc in Management, so it has not been ranked yet. This programme costs around £40k and it the the one that has the CEMS option now. By the way, I really do not see the point of having these 2 programmes really, and then a 1 year MSc in International Management too! They accept people from non-business related degrees in all of them!

About the quality of LBS MiM programme, it is true that it has just started. Certain aspects will be modified but I have the impression the school has paid a lot of attention to what employers are looking for when designing the programme (and they do know what they look for!). Therefore, I have absolutally no doubt that, when it is ranked, it will be among the best! :) My personal opinion about the MiM is that it is the most "useful" programme for recent graduates available in Europe. I would have gone to HEC (if accepted!) because of the brand name. However, I know I would have not enjoyed it that much: 550 students, 2 years, in the outskirts of Paris, very theorical... On the other hand, the MiM seems to perfectly balance theory with practice. Moreover, the opinion of those studying it right now is very good. OMG, I am so happy I got an offer from LBS! lol!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2010, 22:32
This post received
KUDOS
Please do not write me private messages, but post your questions here..
This questions I got by PM:

Quote:
1)Do you know anyone who is targeting career in Investment Banking after the program, and whether they are getting interviews for graduate programs.

2)Where do most of the students live?

3)Overall, are people satisfied with the program?

1) Yes, we have MiMs who got offers for IBD in London - Deutsche Bank, Citigroup, Nomura, Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse and some others.

2) Location-wise in London some live around Baker St, Marylebone High Street or elsewhere near to school. Some live in student halls near Russel Sq, others live outside of zone 1. Some MiMs have set up shared flats.

3) Overall, yes. In respect to the courses, some people with business undergraduate mentioned that doing accounting, finance, economics, marketing once again is not really that exciting - but they chose the programme, so they knew about it. Some say that the LBS approach is quite different so even doing familiar things once again is exciting. Many MiM students have an engineering, natural science or arts background and have no prior knowledge about business courses - for them 90% is new and the pace is quite high. Besides academics I guess that most of the MiMs love the school, the career service, the connections to alumni and MBA students for any questions and advise, the clubs and everything else available here.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone, so I had my follow-up interview today and will likely get a decision by Thursday, which ironically happens to be my birthday. I'm really hoping it will be good news right now :? KAS1986, I felt that the interview was somewhat discouraging and grilling too, although I hope I clarified their questions. There were some things that in retrospect I could have elaborated more on, but I guess I can't dwell on them right now. I really need to study for my exam on Friday but this is making me so anxious and distracted!

@ WVB35, Great profile! I'm wishing you all the best. :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
WVB25,

I applied to and was accepted to Imperial but I can't remember too much about their application process. I think I mostly just tweaked my essays from the MiM application and also incorporated a lot of that info into my personal statement. I've heard some people were interviewed, but I was accepted based on my application.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 10:16
This post received
KUDOS
@kitsune, @anner, @voodoo, @lsl2125:

Was on a break and just checked your posts today. Thank you for your wishes and honest opinions on how to go about in such a situation. Makes complete sense. A similar opinion resonates in my mind as well. Though I guess I ll just wait a little longer before I make that final decision. Thank you for your support guys.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 05:22
This post received
KUDOS
Thank for your birthday wishes! I just received my acceptance email today! :)

Now I have to make a very hard decision. I actually have another offer from a Canadian University that is nevertheless highly ranked in business here (and some execs in NYC seem to know of it as well) . The most tempting part is that they are offering me 12K CAD of stipend (it is 8 months of classes and 3 months of a research project) while the tuition is only 6K, so i get a positive net balance :shock: ! Their employment stats have been 100% in the past before graduation and past students have gotten into Mckinsey, Bain, BCG and some ibanks.

However, there is no way it can compare to LBS in terms of international prestige and alumni network. And I Would LOVE to have the opportunity to live in London for a year with all of you. But the tuition at LBS converts to something like 35000 CAD ,which is a huge difference....

I would love to hear some of your opinions.

Hofimax, I was wondering if you have approximate employment stats of the past students based on your own observations. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by anner on 11 Apr 2010, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Hofimax, I was wondering if you have approximate employment stats of the past students based on your own observations. Thank you in advance!

I think that now 50% of people have a job offer. 10% got their dream job, 40% a job they accepted. Other 40% I guess most will find a job during the next months. Some will continue a PhD or join their family business... people have mixed intentions. The job market was cruel this autumn 2009 (when London firms post the jobs for autumn 2010) and is now picking up. MiM2011 will have a much better situation. Everybody in the world wants to go to London and it is very competitive. That's also a reason why some of the MiMs are actually going home to take an offer there.
What I hear from others is that Oxbridge and LSE students also struggle finding a job right now - there are simply not enough positions available.

Quote:
I wonder how is the social scene like at LBS. Do you find it hard to meet other MiMs because everyone lives off campus?

We are a group of 106 now, and I would say there is a lot of partying and socialising going on. Some MiMs live in shared flats and they invite people over, we have social reps who organize partys/clubbings regularly and every Thursday evening there is free beer on campus (Sundowners), where you will always find 10+ MiMs. We have been split into groups of 5 people (study groups) and some groups really bonded well and spend their time together also outside of school. Before exams and assignment deadlines a lot of MiMs are in the library (Taunton) to study and work or just chill together. A lot of MiMs lve close to school and can be seen on campus or library nearly every day. But of course, others prefer to minimize time at school and study at home.
Programme office mixed the seminar groups each term newly - so by the end of the year you have worked or at least attended the same seminars with most of the people anyway. Next year they will have two streams of MiMs, and I guess you will mostly stick to your stream. 106 people is a bit too much in lectures and splitting into two streams of 60 is a good idea I guess.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
You will receive an e-mail on the 23rd letting you know if you made it to the interview round. After that admissions will contact you and put you in touch with your interviewer.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011 [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I am wondering which backgrounds are already represented in the MiM Class 2011...
I've seen indian, spanish ... untill now

I'm American, from Boston (south). Yes, the part of Boston where all those Irish mob/crime movies are filmed (The Departed, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, etc). Although I don't have an accent (most of the time) ;)
Re: LONDON BUSINESS SCHOOL MASTERS IN MANAGEMENT 2011   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2010, 09:49