Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: LBS MIF '17
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 2.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Re: London Business School: MIF 2015 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
PTK wrote:
Guys,
Could you please share your thoughts what is your rationale behind applying to LBS MiF having a CFA (or level2)?
I am very interested since I thought that MiF and CFA are interchangable, and one qualification is enought to get a decent job in Finance/Investments.

Thank you !

You are mostly correct PTK. However, CFA is primarily focused on portfolio / investment management, whereas you can tailor MiF to something like advanced corporate finance (which adds value if you are looking for investment banking roles).

Otherwise, yes, both are quite similar. LBS does give you a strong alumni network and a very high quality brand though - which gives you much increased international mobility.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 2.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Griffith wrote:
Hi guys!

I am planning to apply to LBS MIF next year (intake of 2016). I would like to know if I have a fighting chance of getting in, and if I have, how I could improve my positioning during the coming year.

Profile:
24M
MSc in Research Economics (equivalent to 2:1)
3 months internship at a BB in a BO role
Currently Big 4 audit
CFA L2 Candidate
Quadrilingual (and fluent in 3 of those languages)
Will take the GMAT right after the CFA L2 exam during the summer/fall.

Hi Griffith,
I would strongly suggest you send your CV for review to the MiF team. If they encourage you to apply, it means you stand a fair chance.
I believe you need to have 2 - 3 years of work exp at least. Your academics, experience and languages look good. If you get a 700+ GMAT, I would say you stand a good chance.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: A Term in the Life (of a MiF)
Today I submitted my last take home exam and officially reached the end of my first term at LBS. Thought it might be a good time as any to look back on all that has happened since first I set foot on campus in August.

In the first month, there was a flurry of activities hosted by the school’s Career Services team, which very much took me by surprise, since according to my logic, the job is rather supposed to follow the education and not the other way round. Anyhow, it was a pleasant surprise, because the Career Services team are full of wonderful people and all of us MiFs love them very much. Thanks to their effort, by the 3rd week of September, I was the owner of:

• A flawlessly written, challenge-action-result structured, beautiful, one-page CV
  • The ability to produce a perfect cover letter for any company, any job, within the hour
  • A range of impressive skills to deal with the most challenging of interviews
  • A new and much improved LinkedIn profile (yes friends, at LBS, you do get help with LinkedIn)
  • Solid networking techniques which transformed me from a socially awkward penguin into an acceptably effective networker (if this result seems somewhat lackluster compared to the rest, it was by no means Career Services’ fault, as I said, I was a penguin)
  • The beginning, and the knowledge to duly figure out the rest, of an answer to the question “is it for me?” with regards to a wide selection of industries
  • An ambitious yet plausible career plan, with a plan A and a plan B and room in the back for plan C
The 3rd week of September also marked the beginning of a series of on campus recruitment (OCR) events, where representatives from a long list of prestigious firms showed up to convince us students they would be the perfect employer, and in turns, we got the chance to exercise our newly developed networking techniques in an attempt to impress them as potential employees. It was an exciting period, and in case you are a sponsored student who does not need to look for a job after graduation (lucky you!), you can still enjoy yourself by sitting back and admiring the air of utmost professionalism and urgency as your classmates dashed from lecture theaters to company presentations to drink receptions, all in their best suits.

Around the time the OCRs were going on, the many student clubs at LBS also started kicking off their agenda for the new school year. The first order of business is usually a session to introduce the club to the new students, which doubles up as a call for applications to the executive committee. The Student Association Autumn Elections and the search for Student Ambassadors are both on the way during late September too, so if you are an aspiring student leader, this is your turn on stage. I myself managed to get away quite well with this period, securing a post in the executive committee of the LBS Industry Club. For your information, the Industry Club is one of the biggest clubs on campus. Our mission is to help people figure out whether a corporate career is ideal for them and if it is, how to land yourself the job. During Autumn term, our agenda centered on the highly popular “What is…?” series, weekly events where we brought in industry experts to satisfy any questions you might have about a plethora of industries and corporate functions. (Sorry for the PR, just thought I should do my duty as VP Marketing of the Club.)

Before you become overly concerned, allow me to confirm that yes, we did our fair share of study this first term too. The term began with 2 preparatory courses in accounting and data analytics (you can get exempted from any or both if you have a professional accounting certification or/and demonstrable knowledge of statistics). Then there were the 4 core courses: Personal Assessment and Development, Investments, Financial Accounting and Analysis, and Corporate Finance and Valuation. With the exception of Investments, which leaned a bit more to the technical side, all the courses were mostly case study-based, the result being that lectures more often than not resembled open floor discussions. The MiF’s diversity assured that no matter the case, there were always at least 3 experts on the subjects to keep the debate heated. Another exceptionally fine feature of the MiF that I have come to appreciate was the fact that whenever a professor asked “Is there anyone here from xxx country?”, almost 100% of the time the answer would be yes. Cheers for the amazing 42 countries represented in our class this year!

Group assignment was an important component in any courses, so we spent a lot of time with our study group (which we were randomly assigned to, and remained the same for all core courses). My study group is one Australian/New Zealander short of representing all the world’s populated continents (Antarctica does not count), and no one used to work in the same industry as any other, so you can imagine the “fun” we had trying to resolve all the (friendly) arguments. That said, we somehow grew so close as a group that when we submitted our last assignment, everyone got so emotional I swear I was able to detect some teary eyes here or there.

In the first weeks of December, up to our choice of electives, we can take 1 or 2 block-week courses to wrap up Autumn term. These block weeks were quite intensive since the format means that we complete an elective during a single week. I chose to take Strategy for MiFs during the first block week (and skipped the second week in favor of a trip to Edinburgh, but pray do not let my laziness get to you). Strategy turned out to be my favorite course of the whole term. My classmates were of the opinion that I liked Strategy so much simply because all the case studies happened to be about my favorite things: coffee, luxury watches, books and fashion, not to mention the simulation game at the end of the week, which involved us acting as managers for football teams. However, I would maintain that the numerous theories of strategy we were taught were equally enjoyable.

I think it would be apt to end this post by showing you the bottle of champagne our group won for arriving at first place in the mentioned strategy simulation game. Our lecturer professor Ioannou specially warned me not to show the world how at LBS we talked about sports and brought alcohol to lecture theaters, so naturally I feel obliged to do exactly that.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday to everyone. Do feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about life at LBS.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Masters in Finance online information sessions
Happy New Year! Join me at one of our online sessions to learn how London Business School and the Masters in Finance programme can help you advance your career and achieve your goals.   I will be hosting sessions from 13.00 – 14.00 (UK time) on the following dates: Wednesday 7th January 2015 Wednesday 4th February […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Reinvigorating your postgraduate application
Last week I joined our MiM2015s in a seminar run by our Careers Team about reinvigorating your job search. This session included discussion around how students can tailor their job search, finding roles which match with their interests and skills, and how to put themselves forward as the best individuals for the job. During the […]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Any one applied for R3 received interview invite?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Michelle,
I also applied for R3 - unfortunately did not hear anything further than the mail that my documents are complete.
Please keep me posted when you know more :)
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Received a call today!

Best of luck to those who are waiting
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I also applied for R3. I havent received any invites for interview yet, i think that LBS sends them on the deadline date which is 5th FEB. Here is my profile to share:

30 Male
European
CFA level III Candidate
6 yrs of experience last two were in wealth management in Asia
GMAT: 680
Intern
Intern
Send PM
weerawat wrote:
Received a call today!

Congrats! that's the call of admin right, i remembered you interviewed in Dec :)
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Meet the Sloan MSc Recruitment & Admissions team
I am pleased to let you know that applications for the 2016 Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy intake is now open. We seek passionate and intelligent people who can create a stimulating and valuable learning exchange. Candidates will have a breadth and depth of professional experience including management at a strategic level, and come from a wide range of backgrounds in private, public and […]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
michelle3225 wrote:
weerawat wrote:
Received a call today!

Congrats! that's the call of admin right, i remembered you interviewed in Dec :)

Thanks! you are correct

Did you apply for round 3?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
weerawat wrote:
michelle3225 wrote:
weerawat wrote:
Received a call today!

Thanks! you are correct

Did you apply for round 3?

Yes, but have not heard anything back from admission team yet...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, I received meanwhile an invitation to an interview by mail. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Echni wrote:
Hi guys, I received meanwhile an invitation to an interview by mail. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

congrats, could you please share your basic profile so we can get a feeling of the level of potential candidates
Intern
Intern
Send PM
michelle
I see

Then I hope you will receive the interview invitation this week

Cheers!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I see

Then I hope you will receive the interview invitation this week

Cheers!

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]

Thanks Weeraawat, I received interview invite last Friday, am still waiting for interviewer list from Admin team:)

Admin team is still busy reviewing all applications, good luck to all :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts