Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

London prep courses - Veritas vs Manhattan Gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

London prep courses - Veritas vs Manhattan Gmat [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 07:17
hi all, (great forum to begin with!) Smile ...

This is a question specific to these prep providers in LONDON - I realise that this is quite a common question on this forum and yes I have read through most posts on this already.... without much specific feedback on the ones in London.

1. Anyone have any experience or feedback on either one - Veritas or MGMAT here in london? I went to the trial class of veritas and it appears that the same instructor will be covering both Q and V - Is this common? and although he was explaining things well at a conceptual level, he was a non-native English speaker, hence I am quite worried about the SC, RC sections... mainly SC!

I am in bit of a soup as I need to decide very soon as the veritas batch has started already and the new MGMAT trial class is on the 19th. I cant wait that long as I'll lag behind onthe veritas one big time. Went to the Kaplan trial class, looked like a factory which feeds you with tricks here and there, no underlying concepts explained compared to the veritas instructor who went through the concepts first.

2. Hence, please does anyone has ANY idea what the MGMAT is like in London?

3. I also heard Kaplan were amidst buying MGMAT?? will that make any diff by any chance that anyone knows?!

Given both providers charge around a £800-£1000 with discounts here or there, big decision to take here.

any ideas?

thx
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

Re: London prep courses - Veritas vs Manhattan Gmat [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 11:44
Expert's post
Hi rknrolls,

I'm glad to hear that you're considering our classes in London, where we've had quite a bit of success over the years. Amit Kakkad, the instructor you met on Monday, is one of the best GMAT instructors you can find worldwide. He was named Instructor of the Year for Veritas Prep based on his student evaluation scores and feedback, his students' GMAT results, and his contributions to the Veritas Prep lessons and instructor community. In fact, no less an authority than Dr. Lawrence Rudner, a Vice President of the Graduate Management Admissions Council (and the guy who's considered the "brain" behind the GMAT) who met Amit at a GMAT event in London, made a special point to seek out our Veritas Prep team at a subsequent event in the U.S. to tell us about Amit (I'm paraphrasing): "That guy's sharp... he really knows this test inside and out." I think some of the other test prep providers on here even overheard the comment!

Naturally, I can understand your concern about learning the verbal portion of the test from a nonnative speaker, but I can personally vouch for the fact that Amit -- a PhD candidate at London Business School -- understands the verbal section of the exam, and how to succeed on it, more than anyone has a right to.

We typically do want to have the same instructor teach both your quantitative and verbal lessons, as there is a definite benefit to your having one guide for the entire exam to help gauge your progress through homework and practice tests and to enable to you to ask questions regarding lessons as they come up, rather than waiting until a "math night" to ask a math question. Furthermore, you'll likely find that there is quite a bit of overlap between the logic required on either section (you may recall this from the Arguments lesson that you attended -- the Data Sufficiency math problems are essentially Critical Reasoning logic problems with a mathematical emphasis and a twist in the way that they're asked). Having one instructor, and in particular one as knowledgeable and experienced as Amit, to help alert you to errors that you may make on either section based on your performance on the other, should be a strong asset to your preparation.

I'll allow MGMAT to address your questions regarding their program and affiliation with Kaplan. I do know that they're pretty new to the London market, but hopefully you'll find a London MGMAT student on the forum who can share his experience with you to aid in your decision.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: London prep courses - Manhattan Review [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 14:33
Hi rknroll,
Just some additional idea to share with you if you have not contacted us.

We have have been in London for over 7 years. You are welcome to our Manhattan Review class this week for a free audit. Either tomorrow Thursday night or this Friday night. You are qualified for a 10% discount being a GMAT Club member as well. Please feel free to email us or call us directly at UK: 0 20 3318 3131 after 2pm your time.

We have a number of courses upcoming in London (19th Tuesday being a possibility along with Saturday long courses). Our lead London instructor David Chambers is far more experienced than some other instructors working for other firms. He is also a native speaker being a British. We received student compliments about him on a consistent basis. His bio is below.

Mr. David Chambers

Mr. Chambers is the director of a Singapore-based small-cap equities fund and the founder/director of an engineering software company that won a UK government “SMART” development grant. He holds three masters degrees: an MBA from London Business School, an MSc in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge, and an LLM in Intellectual Property Law from the University of London. He has also studied at Keio Business School in Tokyo and spent extended periods living and working in the USA. His commercial experience encompasses corporate finance, strategy, engineering, software development, and sales, in a variety of international environments. He scored 760 on the GMAT (99th percentile) and is a highly experienced instructor.

Regards.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: London prep courses - Veritas vs Manhattan Gmat [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 06:58
Hi there!

Thanks for your interest in our London classes! I would love for you to take the Manhattan GMAT course, but I do want to point you to the review we have on Yelp here: http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/manhattan-gmat-london and to the bio on Robert Wilburn, our instructor in London here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... ilburn.cfm . Also, if you want to get a feel for our classes before the trial (which I do suggest you attend either way) try one of our free online events. This will give you an idea of our curriculum and philosophy, even if it is with a different instructor. You can access a complete list of our upcoming free events online here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/london-free-events.cfm# .

Thanks, and don't hesitate to contact us directly at 1-800-576-4628 or via email at studentservices@manhattangmat.com if you have any questions!

Best Wishes,
Caitlin Clay
Student Services Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: London prep courses - Veritas vs Manhattan Gmat   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2010, 06:58