Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [4]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Send PM
Re: Next Generation GMAT - 800 (Long Debrief) [#permalink]
Arbitrageur wrote:
Wow. Sick score. With a 800 gmat+peace corps experience+engineering background, I have no idea why you're not applying to hbs, stanford, wharton as well. You have a strong profile.

I'm shocked that you only used the OG guide for your studying. The conventional wisdom seems to be that OG is good for easy and medium questions but not for those who want to score 750+.

Also, who's Brunnel? Should I look at his stuff? For quant i'm currently going through jeff sackmann's "absolute gmat math" book. Pretty decent. I got a 700 about 5 years ago and planning on a re-take. Badly need 750 for the top 7 programs.

Anyways, congrats.

Thanks! I'm still gonna do some school research, so maybe I'll end up adding them to my list. About the OG, I didn't know anything about which study materials to use. I was planning on only using GMATPrep software, but I happened to find OG 12, so I used it. This is Bunuel: members/member-73391.html. He's got a lot of followers for good reason. I don't think he knows what a huge fan I am, but he doesn't need to know. He's too cool for me to associate with him.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
Send PM
So here's what I think. If it's not too much of a bother, and if it doesn't backfire (I don't think it should), you should blog (here or wherever you prefer) about your experiences while applying: Do business schools skew their view of you as you said, either by magnifying or by diluting their selection processes to analyze your application. I bet you would win an interview at least in every single school you apply to, because every Adcom would want to see the face behind that 800 at the very least.
It would be a VERY interesting and unique read. I would read every single post :).
And I agree with the other person here, you should apply to all the biggies (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton), unless you specifically dislike them.

All the best with your apps. You truly deserve all the good things that come your way this application year.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Happytrojan wrote:
Cool! I hope you get into a good program. You will probably also be contact by a lot of Ph.D. programs, I believe. You might as well use the oportunity to join mensa, they will accept anyone who did better than th 95 percentile. Might be nice on your resume. Congrats on a ridiculous score.

Do you mean Mensa accepts anyone with a 95+ percentile score on the GMAT?..I thought they had their own test and if you scored an IQ level of above 150 (top 2%), they'll accept you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
800,just wow,I don’t even know what to say,what an amazing score, congratulations。
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
worldofecofin wrote:
Happytrojan wrote:
Cool! I hope you get into a good program. You will probably also be contact by a lot of Ph.D. programs, I believe. You might as well use the oportunity to join mensa, they will accept anyone who did better than th 95 percentile. Might be nice on your resume. Congrats on a ridiculous score.

Do you mean Mensa accepts anyone with a 95+ percentile score on the GMAT?..I thought they had their own test and if you scored an IQ level of above 150 (top 2%), they'll accept you

They do have their own IQ tests hold at various cities(Mensa's only requirement for membership is one score at or above the 98th percentile on certain standardised IQ or other approved intelligence tests, such as the Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scales. Because different tests are scaled differently, it is not meaningful to compare raw scores between tests, only percentiles. For example, the minimum accepted score on the Stanford-Binet is 132, while for the Cattell it is 148,.[8] But most IQ tests are designed to yield a mean score of 100 with a standard deviation of 15; the 98th-percentile score under these conditions is 130.82.from wikipedia)
, but they also accept many kinds of standardized test scores such as: SAT, and GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
wow, congratulations and a fantastic de-brief, loved " I think I answered 100 on the 28th and 60 or 70 on the 29th, until I got tired and decided to play Diablo. Diablo 3 and GMAT preparation were my two time sinks ..."
cracked me up =)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I just have admiration (almost brinking on adulation:)) for your perfect score.

Hats off and wish you the very best in life. Clearly you have the aptitude. If you have the attitude as well, there is no stopping you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Wow!!! Congrats for such an amazing score! WOW again!!!! :-D :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
This is awesome. Congratulations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congratulations once again!! It really blew my mind thinking about the possibility of answering every question you face correctly but you have proved it again that nothing is impossible if you have the ability and work towards it. Thanks for the really detailed and informative debrief. You have conquered a mountain, so keep moving and you will reach the peak. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Congrats! What are your post-MBA goals?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you to everyone! If I start a blog about my b-school journey, I'll add a link to my signature for sure.
DefyingGravity wrote:
Congrats! What are your post-MBA goals?

Thanks! I'd like to spend a few years working as a consultant in a top firm (M/B/B), in the Moscow office if I get the chance. I'd love to be able to consult both for foreign companies expanding into the CIS region and local (Russian or other CIS) companies looking for growth. Eventually I'd like to move into social entrepreneurship in some capacity. I could consult for socially-minded ventures, start my own (I have an idea or two), or maybe start an incubator! If Ukraine has taught me anything, it's that planning too far ahead is pointless. In any event, my first step is clear: get business training!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-12-2012
GPA: 3.42
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Long Debrief - 800 (Q51, V51, IR-8, AWA-4.5) [#permalink]
@NonYankee:
He must be an alien. Since he got 800 (Q: 51 V: 51 :-D )

Which one of the followings can be inferred from above?

1. Yankee is an alien. He just landed off from Mars
2. Most Mars people are aliens
3. Some aliens from Mars can get 800
4. All NonYankee got 800
5. Those who are aliens usually score 800

Jokes apart. What a score. Bravo. These stories seriously keeps me motivated! Since majority of people expressed my opinion so it should be better for me to let you solve this question. Oh! Wait a minute you already solved it :P Cheers Man.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
800 :)

I m sure you have a strong heart else the gmat taker would have a heart attack or would start crying :)

Keep all things aside, tellme what did you feel and what did you say to yourself when you saw 800 on the screen?
Be honest !!

Accept my heartiest congratulations and warm wishes for your future.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
It's interesting that you are prohibited from taking the test. What if you had actually totally bombed the IR and AWA--you know, gotten 2s on both for example. It would not stand up to scrutiny against your 800 but you wouldn't be allowed to do anything about it! As you noticed your AWA isn't the best and no one would recommend you retake it, but they've let you know that ship has sailed.

We yankees should be the ones blushing that you smacked our test good! Or as they used to say: "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." Forgive the bad joke. I'm sure Ukrainians are actually confused for Russians all the time and it's annoying as hell!

Congrats on your score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
800 :)

I m sure you have a strong heart else the gmat taker would have a heart attack or would start crying :)

Keep all things aside, tellme what did you feel and what did you say to yourself when you saw 800 on the screen?
Be honest !!

Accept my heartiest congratulations and warm wishes for your future.

Totally honest: in the first split second, I was confused. I saw only round numbers where I expected to see the angularity of a 7. Then I read the column and row labels and instantly felt weak, even nauseous. Thanks for the warm wishes! I likewise wish you all the best!

machichi wrote:
It's interesting that you are prohibited from taking the test. What if you had actually totally bombed the IR and AWA--you know, gotten 2s on both for example. It would not stand up to scrutiny against your 800 but you wouldn't be allowed to do anything about it! As you noticed your AWA isn't the best and no one would recommend you retake it, but they've let you know that ship has sailed.

We yankees should be the ones blushing that you smacked our test good! Or as they used to say: "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming." Forgive the bad joke. I'm sure Ukrainians are actually confused for Russians all the time and it's annoying as hell!

Congrats on your score!

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like I'm complaining, it's a bit unfair that I'm prohibited from improving my AWA score.

I don't know how much you gleaned from my description of my background, but I'm an American. Only Americans can serve as Peace Corps volunteers. My username simultaneously alludes to my anti-jingoistic worldview and my support for the Boston Red Sox.

Eastern Ukrainians resemble Russians in virtually every way. Some of them call themselves Russian and don't even speak Ukrainian, which is the national language. Western Ukrainians, however, would not take kindly to being identified as Russian, although they share much of Russian culture. As is the case in certain other country pairs, it's generally safer to mistake a citizen of the more powerful country for one of the less powerful (mistake an American for a Canadian or an Australian for a New Zealander and you'll generally cause less offense than if you make the opposite mistake).

Thanks for your kind words! I see you have Kellogg listed among your schools. It would be a pleasure to see you there!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3593 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos
What I really liked about the debrief is the stress on official questions.

I think with all the junkies present today in the market we tend to spend more time solving numerous number of questions without understanding anything or make our subconscious mind used to the Gmat pattern.

I have done similar mistakes in the past and this time looking forward to spend extensive time while practicing official questions.
This time I would argue with myself why I selected this answer and rejected the others.
I think the official material is enough to practice when combined with 10-15 hours of non official practice of good questions such as found on gmatclub, gmatclub tests or any test prep company.

Quality time spent on quality questions would yield good results.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts