Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 15:02
Hi,

I have heard that in the long/short term goal essays, one should only demonstrate the desire to switch EITHER job function OR industry, so that it would not lead the adcom to think that one's goals are unrealistic.

However, would it be ok if my short term goal is to remain focused on the same job function in a different industry, and the long term goal be in a different function within that same industry?

For example, Currently in operations in the IT industry, short term goal = want to get an MBA and move to work in operations in the healthcare industry. Then after 4 to 5 years, after gaining insights about the healthcare industry, the long term goal = transition into marketing within the healthcare industry.

Would this be too unrealistic? Should I avoid mentioning that in my essays?

Please advise,

Thank you!!!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 1

Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 15:53
Expert's post
Hi there,

That's a great question and you're definitely thinking about it in the right context. I understand where you're coming from with your career goals. However, industry is generally easier to switch than function. So it might make more sense to consider flipping the order. So going from ops in IT to marketing in IT and then from IT to healthcare. After you graduate, you'll have fewer opportunities to be "known" for something. If you have great marketing experiences then you can make a compelling case for a healthcare firm to pick you up. However, if you're already IN healthcare it'll be difficult to facilitate a lateral shift of that magnitude.

But you're on the right track thinking about what's ambitious but realistic. Just make sure you're aligning the biggest shift with the stage that has the most opportunity!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 04:12
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

That's a great question and you're definitely thinking about it in the right context. I understand where you're coming from with your career goals. However, industry is generally easier to switch than function. So it might make more sense to consider flipping the order. So going from ops in IT to marketing in IT and then from IT to healthcare. After you graduate, you'll have fewer opportunities to be "known" for something. If you have great marketing experiences then you can make a compelling case for a healthcare firm to pick you up. However, if you're already IN healthcare it'll be difficult to facilitate a lateral shift of that magnitude.

But you're on the right track thinking about what's ambitious but realistic. Just make sure you're aligning the biggest shift with the stage that has the most opportunity!

Bhavik

Thank you so much for your advice Bhavik!

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I made the above example for illustration purposes only. In fact, I am currently in the manufacturing industry (furniture) and my current job function is in the supply chain/sourcing area. I would like to remain focused on this job function in the luxury fashion/brand industry in the short term and eventually transitioned into Marketing. (So I am interested in taking on two specializations within the MBA program - Supply Chain & Luxury Marketing/Management). I am worried that it would be difficult to convince the adcom that I could still enter such industry if I switched the goals around as you suggested (because I have always perceived the luxury/fashion industry to be hard to break into, though I am not sure if that's simply an misperception.)

I am in the process of selecting a admission consultant to work with me and yesterday, during my initial free consultation I brought up this question to her, and the consultant said "quite honestly, you don't need an MBA to be in fashion". I was quite shocked to hear that, and now I am in limbo because I am not sure if I should even convey this goal of mine to the adcom anymore (in order to not hinder my chances of getting admitted).
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 1

Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 09:02
Expert's post
Hey there,

Thanks for the additional information - yes, the answer definitely changes a bit given what you're actually trying to do. I incorrectly assumed your example was your situation! Fasion / Luxury is really hard to break into - with or without an MBA. So while what the consultant you spoke to said isn't entirely untrue, it isn't set in stone either. You could effectively say that about a host of other functions / industries. Very few actually go out and require an MBA and even with those there are ways around it.

The reason an MBA is so often sought by people looking to make a move is that it can be a great "career etch-a-sketch". How effectively it works has a lot to do with you, the program, the duration, the location, etc.

All of that said - if you go from supply chain / sourcing in furniture to a similar position in retail / luxury, that could be doable. That'll be more possible within a larger or global companies but definitely a possibility. So that said, I don't think your short term goals are a necessary red flag. It's your longer term goal that causes pause. Switching from procurement / SC to marketing is...let's just leave it at difficult. It's difficult enough within Healthcare, but within Retail? That is a really competitive and sought after function within an equally exclusive industry. You have to pay your dues! A few years into your retail career what will be your value prop to justify that switch? You wouldn't have any marketing experience to speak of and while you might have industry knowledge that isn't enough to justify a substantial change in where you play within the value chain.

I definitely understand the position you're in - story development is a big part of the process. If you want to talk through the process, where you are, and what the path forward might look like, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. We offer a free consultation too which you can sign up for [here] and it's a great way to take this convo offline.

If you're interested, sign up! I'd love to chat with you,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 13:56
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hey there,

Thanks for the additional information - yes, the answer definitely changes a bit given what you're actually trying to do. I incorrectly assumed your example was your situation! Fasion / Luxury is really hard to break into - with or without an MBA. So while what the consultant you spoke to said isn't entirely untrue, it isn't set in stone either. You could effectively say that about a host of other functions / industries. Very few actually go out and require an MBA and even with those there are ways around it.

The reason an MBA is so often sought by people looking to make a move is that it can be a great "career etch-a-sketch". How effectively it works has a lot to do with you, the program, the duration, the location, etc.

All of that said - if you go from supply chain / sourcing in furniture to a similar position in retail / luxury, that could be doable. That'll be more possible within a larger or global companies but definitely a possibility. So that said, I don't think your short term goals are a necessary red flag. It's your longer term goal that causes pause. Switching from procurement / SC to marketing is...let's just leave it at difficult. It's difficult enough within Healthcare, but within Retail? That is a really competitive and sought after function within an equally exclusive industry. You have to pay your dues! A few years into your retail career what will be your value prop to justify that switch? You wouldn't have any marketing experience to speak of and while you might have industry knowledge that isn't enough to justify a substantial change in where you play within the value chain.

I definitely understand the position you're in - story development is a big part of the process. If you want to talk through the process, where you are, and what the path forward might look like, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. We offer a free consultation too which you can sign up for [here] and it's a great way to take this convo offline.

If you're interested, sign up! I'd love to chat with you,

Bhavik

Thanks Bhavik, I have submitted the free consultation request.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 21:41
yvette726 wrote:
Hi,

I have heard that in the long/short term goal essays, one should only demonstrate the desire to switch EITHER job function OR industry, so that it would not lead the adcom to think that one's goals are unrealistic.

However, would it be ok if my short term goal is to remain focused on the same job function in a different industry, and the long term goal be in a different function within that same industry?

For example, Currently in operations in the IT industry, short term goal = want to get an MBA and move to work in operations in the healthcare industry. Then after 4 to 5 years, after gaining insights about the healthcare industry, the long term goal = transition into marketing within the healthcare industry.

Would this be too unrealistic? Should I avoid mentioning that in my essays?

Please advise,

Thank you!!!

Hi,
Regarding your questions on career goals essay, you can find some tips and some career goals essay samples here: http://www.aringo.com/Career_Goals_Essay.htm
Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 04:54
Hi Yvette,

If I were you, this is what I would do:

1. I will construct an equation of employability

Past + MBA = ST + LT Goals

Your PAST:

Existing Repository of the skill sets in a narrative: In your past experiences, give them an understanding of your current repository of the skill sets, and the learning curve. Working in the supply chain in the manufacturing industry, you may have gained some amazing skill sets that your future employer would value.

An AHA Moment: What have been your AHA moments that prompted you towards your short term ambitions. An AHA moment is not same as witnessing a falling apple. But an AHA moment is a continuous exposure to a "Wannabe" state.

Current HANDICAP: What is your current HANDICAP? Whatever you create as your short term goal, why can you not do it from the coming Monday? What is the Handicap? What are some of the skill sets that are keeping you from starting in the new positions.

SKILLS FROM AN MBA PROGRAM + THE CURRENT HANDICAP: If you combine these two, you will eventually be able to create a set of skills that you plan to gain from an MBA program.

And YES! I will not recommend using marketing as your long term goal. You may not want to do that in 7 years from now. You may like something else or you might even pursue management consulting as a full time career post MBA. One never knows as you have not been exposed to many industries and functions yet. So, it is advisable to construct a story that further ties with your short term ambitions.

You might want to pick a couple of your target employers, and download the 10K reports, and identify some of the top leaders in that firm. Map out their career progression of 15 years, and see how they have progressed. You want to construct a story that is in terms with the reality of the job markets.

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

Re: Long/Short Term Goals Essay - Changing industry + functions?   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2014, 04:54