Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Re: Long Term Goal.....But why? [#permalink]
Truth is, hitting senior manager in consulting isn't going to be all that interesting to Adcom's no matter how you spin it.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Im sure the adcoms understand that not everybody has a goal of becoming partner or starting their own firm....plus, they always say that they want realist goals. I bet they can see right through the smoke and mirrors of the people who say stuff like "My ultimate goal is to start a boutique consulting firm specializing in non-profits dealing with saving the manatee". I wont be dishonest with them. Dont they just want solid realistic goals?

pelihu wrote:
Truth is, hitting senior manager in consulting isn't going to be all that interesting to Adcom's no matter how you spin it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
How is that not a realistic goal. If you plan on applying to an ultra-elite, you must have some sort of longterm goal that will demonstrate leadership. Remember, school's like HBS are trying to create leaders who will continue to raise the profile of the school and donate money. I think saying anything else that does not demonstrate future leadership after the MBA will significantly diminish your chances in getting into an ultra-elite. As well, you must remember that everyone who gets into these elite schools are fully capable of doing whatever they want after an MBA. So if you aspire to become a senior manager at a MC firm, go ahead and put it down. As long as your previous experiences make sense with your longterm goal.

TFN
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
A related question..what is a good long-term goal for someone in investment banking. I know most of the folks leave IB to join a PE or HF, but for someone who does want to stay in banking, how do you spin it?

I currently say my long-term goal is a Managing Director position for the entire telecom/media industry (my past background is in telecom/media) for my company...is that realistic enough?

I have heard people say that your long-term goal should be a little out there.. what say?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
So if my goal is simply Senior Manager in MC working with emerging multinationals in manufacturing.....would I state that "Since I will already have had lots of experience helping to set the direction of emerging multi-national firms, I would like to use the knowledge I have gained to work with firms even lower down in their infancy stages and take my team along the route of designing newer and innovative models so companies in the poorer countries of Southeast Asia can compete against their larger/wealthier neighbors in manufacturing, without sacrificing the rights and benefits of their workers (more ethical and cost-efficient practices)" as a more specific reason of why I want the SM position since that is one reason why? Too specific?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
P.S. Part of my post-MBA goals is to pursue a position in East or Southeast Asia (relocation) so the context makes more sense to you guys
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
TFN is right, senior manager at an MC firm is a very pedestrian goal for someone at a top school. Spend some time hanging out with people at these schools and you'll understand. If that's your goal, then put it down, but it really does little to demonstrate drive, creativity, leadership, or any of the things that Adcoms are trying to sniff out. You shoudl take every opportunity in your application to show that you have initiative and are thinking above and beyond.

For example, I'll try to answer sterny's question. If your short term goal is IB, your long term goal could be CFO at an action sports company if that interest you, or perhaps you'd like to raise a fund to invest in community development projects to help the mentally ill. If you like sports, maybe you can be a "cap-ologist" and work out sophisticated trades for an MBA team, or perhaps you could work to development new cross-board real estate investment vehicles. The possibilities are endless, but you need to use your brain a little.

Sure, not everybody can do this stuff, but you'd be amazed at how many people do amazing things. Top schools churn out consultants and bankers by the boatload every year, so like I mentioned before, it's not going to be very interesting for Adcoms. It's not going to kill your application, but it won't help you either. Like the OP listed in his original post money (grads from top schools will have plenty), responsibility (you can have responsibility now if you're capable, you don't need some consulting firm to give it to you), natural career progression (yawn...), you get the picture. Look at every part of the application as a tool to show you are inspired, driven, creative, involved and an all around fun person they would like to have around.
GMAT Club Bot