Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Long time lurker says thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Long time lurker says thanks! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 10:26
Hey all - I've been lurking on this site for about 3 months and gleaning endless amounts of knowledge from all of you. I don't post much (only when I'm sure I'm right to save embarassment!)

You guys are all an inspiration for me and tremendously skilled at sentence correction. The dedication of some people to this site is an amazing untapped resource.

I'm a 24 year old Canadian engineer and I just wrote the GMAT ~3 weeks ago. I'll try to be brief with my prep and test description. I studied for about 3 months. I did work initially only on wknds (about 3 hours) In the month before the exam I ramped things up to ~ 6-hours per wknd and 8 hours/ week or so. I spent a LOT of time on this forum while at work - maybe a bit too much.

Materials used:

800score:
This was the firs test prep material I bought and I, in contast with some people here, really liked it. It was challenging and the software is outstanding. I did each test a couple of times and I found that you can really excel in the gmat if you do the same quesitons over and over to train your brain to think like the gmat. Scores:
610, 640, 710, 700, 580 (huh?)

Crack GMAT:

I took the advice of forumers and didn't bother with the verbal. The math tends to focus on questions I didn't see too much on the GMAT, but still good practice.

Manhattan GMAT:

Probably the best resource out there. The math is extremely time consuming so don't get discouraged if you can't finish. Sometimes out of frustration I would pause the exam so I could finish on time (great simulation of test conditions eh?) Just work through the problems and it will benefit you immensly. I scored in the 620 - 720 range over the 5 tests.

Powerprep:

Essential. You WILL score very close to what you get on these tests, so take them seriously and understand your errors after you go over them.

Actual Test:

Make sure the name at the top of the screen is yours. Me and the guy next to me were writing eachothers test for the first 10 minutes before I figured this out and talked to the useless admin.

My overhead pen broke on the first question and ink started spilling all over my ridiculous laminated notebook. This cost me 3 minutes and a lot of stress on the quant. A pen and paper would have saved me tons of grief and improved my score immensly - I don't know why GMAC doesn't allow pen and paper!

The essays were straight forward. If you have half decent writing skills I wouldn't study too much. I prepared the wknd before the test by looking at some canned topics they typically test you on. They're usually simple assumption questions, much easier than what you would see in crtitical reasoning.

I thought I bombed the test completely. I was strung out on red bulls, sweating and thought I got destroyed on quant, which should be my strong suit. I accepted my score and it was 720. 47Q and 42V. I curse that pen, but there's no way I'm taking that test again.

I just wanted to say another big thanks for the people who continually post and discuss on this forum. There's a lot of people who benefit!

Cheers from Canada!

Dan
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 10:39
Congratulations! Such a good feeling to have the test out of the way - nice score, too! :-D

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 10:43
Congrats on the score, another 700+ on the GMATClub forum. What did the people say when you pointed out they sat you at the wrong desk? That's definitely not the way you want to start a test. Either way, you pulled through. Are you applying for fall '08? If so, good luck with the apps.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 12:15
^ We had to start over. The girl called Pearsons (test admin HQ??). The guy next to me had actually been writing about 40 minutes longer than me, so he had his first essay wiped out.

I only brought 1 piece of govt ID as I am a Canadian citizen and that's all the email said I'd need. The girl thought I needed 2 and we ended up arguing about 20 minutes over it. I never hated anyone so much in my life so naturally it gave me great pleasure to point out her grievous error.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 13:22
hey towelboy, nice work!

Did you write it in Toronto with that annoying lady at the front desk?
And that creepy ass test administrator who tries to be super nice, but to a whole new level? Haha.

Nice work again, where are you applying to? What was your undergrad?
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 13:24
This is a very good balanced score. Congratulations!
I wish I had your 720 with 47Q, 42V instead of the flip-flopped score I have: 720 with 42Q, 47V :-)
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2007, 14:22
nervousgmat wrote:
This is a very good balanced score. Congratulations!
I wish I had your 720 with 47Q, 42V instead of the flip-flopped score I have: 720 with 42Q, 47V :-)

hahaha, good score guys
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 08:44
Congrats!!!

Good luck with the application process.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2007, 12:34
Quote:
Did you write it in Toronto with that annoying lady at the front desk?
And that creepy ass test administrator who tries to be super nice, but to a whole new level? Haha.

Nice work again, where are you applying to? What was your undergrad?

Hey man - I wrote it in Calgary, it seems that being useless is a requirement for admins right across Canada!

I got my undergrad in engineering and commerce from UBC. I'm tying up the rest of my application as we speak. I 'think' I've got a pretty good chance of getting into my target school - LBS. I'm also applying to Harvard, Columbia, Rotman, Ivey and INSEAD... here's to hoping!

The AWA just came in at 5.5. It seems cruel and unusual that 5.5/6 is the 83rd percentile! C'man!
  [#permalink] 10 Nov 2007, 12:34