Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 15:10
SO I just wanted to ask REAL PEOPLE (not the super smart ones who get 700+ after studying 1 month):
What the longest time you've spent studying the GMAT?

I've been studying for two years with no real results. 1 year I literally spent days on end studying with a measely 650 to show for it.

Just curious how much time everybody is spending on this.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7580 [1] , given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think you have studied too long frankly.
Most folks don't study more than 6 months and I would say 60% take the GMAT after 3.5 months of studying. When I say studying, I mean deliberate and planned process to cover guidebooks/course/material. FYI - most GMAT courses are designed to be 2-3 months.

There is a reverse improvement trend going on once you spend more than 6 months studying. I would say once you bridge the 6-month mark, you start forgetting things more and more. At a certain point you are learning little (subtleties) and forgetting a lot (fundamentals).

From what I have seen over the years, very few people (i.e. nobody) improve their scores when they spread their study time over a long period of time such as a year.

Here is how I would say your prep score looks (this is just a sample but gives you an idea how the same person could score 700, 750, and 650 depending on when they took the test). This is based on a test taker who has an intense 3-month study period and then continues to study/work on questions for way too long. This was my gmat "line"

There are other charts/graphs including those who study 1-hour a day or 5 hours a week or 10 hours a week but on the beach or after work in a coffee shop while tweeting or browsing FB. That tends to look like a pretty flat line.

Attachments

2013-09-29_1819.png
2013-09-29_1819.png [ 36.42 KiB | Viewed 1093 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 17:44
wow... that is a really nice chart.

I (obviously) dont post much, but go through many posts explaining problems, and read alot of the "gmat experiences".
I've also seen a dozen + posts about how people have studied and couldn't get the score. They go on to say that they're going to quit, but then change their mind after a couple replys when people say to "keep trying".

But technically, from the chart, it would be better to just quit no?
"keep trying" seems to me that it's mostly a time waster?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7580 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 20:15
Expert's post
Continuing what you doing is pretty futile, and yes it will get worse, so you either need to change and restart or quit.

Again, I cannot imagine what one could do preparing for a year or longer. Perhaps I am being too harsh or blind. Can you give us an example of what you have done in the last month or what you have covered/achieved?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V29
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V20
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2013, 21:28
vq35boi wrote:
SO I just wanted to ask REAL PEOPLE (not the super smart ones who get 700+ after studying 1 month):
What the longest time you've spent studying the GMAT?

I've been studying for two years with no real results. 1 year I literally spent days on end studying with a measely 650 to show for it.

Just curious how much time everybody is spending on this.

Hi,

I have been studying for 1.5 year as well. Rather I would say I have been trying blindly not studying that hard and no proper planning. I joined this forum just a month ago and I learnt how I can plan. There are loads of links where you can find how you should plan.

After giving GMAT twice and scoring no more than 600 in either of it, I have lost no hope. Rather I have learnt to be honest to myself. I should have known I hadn't studied that well that I can go and crack the exam. Just dreaming doesn't get you 700+.

After going through the links in this forum, I planned to start my preparation from scratch. Though I started from scratch, I could skip a lot of parts. Since I was good at those from the start. But then I also came across questions which I never came across before. especially in Quant. I used to think I was very good in it but couldn't score more than 44 in the actual exam. The reason was the gap in understanding and the questions which I never practiced. But after going through the GMAT Math book and through the questions, strategies the experts put up here, I have actually improved a lot. I now get around 90% accuracy in Quant. And I believe that will help my score improve a lot.

I have recently started with Grammar/Verbal portion. I hope to improve in this as well.

I didn't lose hope. You never lose until you stop trying. That's what I believe in.

May this post encourage you and change your mind and give it a last try. And Best Of Luck. Whatever decision you take remember one thing, it shouldn't haunt you in the future.

Thanks,
Shameek
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Stop comparing yourself with others. No one will tell you exactly how hard they studied :). It's hard to measure and harder to explain. Rather than thinking in terms of number of months/hours studied think in terms of timing and accuracy. What was your accuracy when you began and what is it now ? Are you improving. If you are stuck you need to change your approach. Careful self reflection is often sufficient to tip you towards right strategy. You will find a way.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Even after reading hundreds of debriefs on GMAT/LSAT Forums am surprised to find new tips every now and then.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 23:37
bb wrote:
Continuing what you doing is pretty futile, and yes it will get worse, so you either need to change and restart or quit.

Again, I cannot imagine what one could do preparing for a year or longer. Perhaps I am being too harsh or blind. Can you give us an example of what you have done in the last month or what you have covered/achieved?

Thanks for the replys.... sorry, got a little busy.

You are totally not being harsh at all.
Technically, I've been doing nothing this past month as I had already QUIT after I attempted to take a gmat practice test.

I just honestly wanted to know how long people have studied.

But since you asked what I have been doing.. here goes:

MGMAT 4th edition -> all of it
MGMAT 5th edition -> all of it
MGMAT foundations verbal/quant -> some of it
Thursdays with RON -> went through all 85 videos (yes really)

MGMAT class -> expensive as hell, but did the classroom study with about 12 other students in my class
Aristotle prep -> to supplement my verbal
GMATPILL.com -> did that after sucky results from MGMAT class

Official 12th edition -> pretty much did ALL the questions
Official 13th edition -> pretty much did ALL the questions
Official supplemental verbal/quant -> yep, did those

Office GMATPREP Q's (that I got off gmatclub, thanks!) -> yep did all those

GMATPREP test -> did those, scored highest on second test. Redid those for ~730's
My highest score was on GMATPREP 2nd test: 750

MGMAT tests -> did all 6, redid those = ended doing about 18 GMAT tests total for average of ~690

Even with all that, 650 was my highest official GMAT score.
The sad thing is my quant (which is strong) was ALWAYS ~47/49, but got a 45 on the actual test.

I pretty much spent an entire year + doing nothing but GMAT. There was a time where I had not watched TV in more than a year.
I dedicated every second to GMAT.

But honestly, the GMAT was not for me. It's pretty much been a huge time and money pit. I've pretty much tried EVERYTHING, and when I tried to do my last GMAT test, I just quit. I could not do any more problems. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I was one of the "highest" students in the MGMAT class, but when it comes to the actual tests, I just always freeze. Some people are just good at things and GMAT was just not for me.
Intern
Intern

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 23:40
I forgot to add...

Yes, I did take careful error logs. I have a dozen + excel files with problems, not to mention the OG archer stats on MGMAT.

I also have notebooks upon notebooks of work.

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 07:51
Not watching TV to study for GMAT. Studying all 5th Editions books than studying all 4th edition books. There is not much difference in 2 editions except CR/IR. It would have been better to redo the 4 th edition.

Giving 18 tests is overkill unless you are already above 700 and gunning for 760+ score. It seems you have spent too much time training and not enough analyzing.

How much time do you spend on analyzing a mistake. Did you google every conceptual mistake to see if a better solution exists ?

Did you make short notes for all the Ron Videos ? Ron always focuses on takeaways. If you did not make notes than you would probably forget the non obvious technique Ron discusses.

You can benefit a lot from a tutor.

Intern
Intern

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 17:11
AbhiJ wrote:
Not watching TV to study for GMAT. Studying all 5th Editions books than studying all 4th edition books. There is not much difference in 2 editions except CR/IR. It would have been better to redo the 4 th edition.

Giving 18 tests is overkill unless you are already above 700 and gunning for 760+ score. It seems you have spent too much time training and not enough analyzing.

How much time do you spend on analyzing a mistake. Did you google every conceptual mistake to see if a better solution exists ?

Did you make short notes for all the Ron Videos ? Ron always focuses on takeaways. If you did not make notes than you would probably forget the non obvious technique Ron discusses.

You can benefit a lot from a tutor.

For every quant, I went through a minimum of 2 ways to solve a problem.
For every verbal, I made a special template answer sheet to explicitly state why each answer was wrong.

I would say on average, I spent about 10 min per question give or take depending on the question. I've spent up to 30 minutes on one question.

I have detailed notes for every Ron video (hence the mounds of notebooks full of notes).

I have pretty much turned over every leaf in attempting to crack the GMAT but it is impossible for me.

I COULD get a tutor and spend another grand getting into the 700's, but there has to be a cutoff when you've wasted enough time and money into it. My friends always tell me to never buy a falling knife (stocks) and the GMAT/mba has been the falling knife.

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 190

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT?? [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 01:05
MBA is neither necessary nor sufficient for career success. So if you are progressing in your career and are happy with it forgoing MBA can be good decision.

Re: Longest time people have spent trying to crack GMAT??   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 01:05