Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Look at my CAT score and advise.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Look at my CAT score and advise. [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 21:19
Hi,

I have just taken my very first CAT mock exam, which is from PR.
I took 1 practice full exam before, but it is kaplan paper based, and the score was 690, but i actually used extra 15min to finish its Verbal.

I can't post my AWA here, as it does not make much sense.

This is the rest:

Verbal: 34
Math: 51
Total: 690

Math:
Right: 32. Wrong: 5. Percent correct: 86%.
PS: wrong 1/22.
DS: wrong 4/15

Verbal:
Right: 33. Wrong: 8. Percent correct: 80%.
SC: wrong 4/15
CR: wrong 1/12
RC: wrong 3/14

I could finish all the sections on time "exactly" :?, although I guessed 2 questions in the Math section. and quickl scan through plus guessing the 5 or 6 questions at the end of Verbal section.

I am surprised that I made 5 wrong in Math section, although I admit after the first 15 questions, they became very difficult and wordy. ( I made the first 22 questions correct, then subsequent 3 consecutive DS wrong. then the last 2 questions consisting of 1DS and 1PS are wrong, probably because I guessed.) I expected my math to be better than this. My goal is to accept 2 out of 37 wrong.

For verbal, I didn't realize my SC did so badly. usually my SC is the best. and I didn't expect my CR is good, coz CR is usually my worst from previous paper tests. and RC, I just understood those so many scientic articles 50% and guessed, and got only 3 wrong? less than the number of wrong SC.

Any advice from you guys to improve my score above 700? I target all my CAT practice to be above 700. Again 10 points short. :cry:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 17:47
Don't overanalyze...it's just one test and you're within 10 points of your target score, so you've started off well. Play close attention to the ones you got wrong so you can see what your errors were, but don't get too worked up. Nice job.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 10:48
Use the GMATprep. PR is ok, but nothing like the real test. Plus, it isn't the number wrong that matters, it is the difficulty. You can't improve on a 51 anyway! so study verbal.

But, you have to take the GMATprep to gauge where you stand.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 14:36
You can do it just keep trying and have patience!!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2006, 07:18
In my experience PR was a LOT like the real test. It's Kaplan that's off, esp. for verbal.
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

[#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 02:19
Hey,

I took PR before I took my GMAT as well.
Here were my 4 CAT tests:
Score Verbal Math
690 40 45
670 39 44
670 40 43
660 41 41

Notice my score actually dropped. I'm not complaining though, I think it was just my state of mind when I was taking the tests. Also, practice the test strategies and don't just do a bunch of test questions. Right before I took the GMAT all I did was read the PR strategy book. In the end I scored a 700. I think the PR tests are pretty good, but the best tests were the ones included on the GMAT cd (or you can go on the official GMAC website and download those).
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2006, 02:39
Thanks. :D

I just took the old PowerPrep and scored 720. Math: 50. Verbal: 36 with about 6 guessed at the end by fast glancing through, 1/2 of what i guessed turned out to be right. Timing is still a bit off in Verbal.
I didn't encounter a lot of same questions I did before, so it should be about there, or may have inflated about 20 points.

Verbal still has to be improved. but it depends a lot on the state of the mind, more so than Math.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2006, 17:25
Just taken Kaplan CAT 2.
Math: 50. All correct, first time. :)
Verbal: 36.
Total: 660.

I don't pay much attention to the RC correctness, because its articles are ridiculously hard to read. Besides RC, SC is around 82%, CR is around 78%.
It is difficult, but it is a great tool to practice timing.
  [#permalink] 05 Nov 2006, 17:25