Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOOKING FOR A TEST STRATEGY scoring a 620-650 on the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LOOKING FOR A TEST STRATEGY scoring a 620-650 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:40
Hello,

I am just posting to see if anyone can offer me some suggestions on a study strategy. I have already written the GMAT once, and scored a 550. I had gone through all the math questions on the OG and the verbal questions. I also looked at the Manhattan guide sentence correction book because I was really struggling with that section.

I went through the questions the first time I found them difficult. My second time i completed the section with some ease, but looking at my score I think I may have just memorized the questions. I did half of the OG quantitative review questions, and did not find many problems.

What I would like to know is how I can improve my score overall? Is there any other books that are comprehensive and useful?

I also realized that for the verbal section, specifically sentence correction, I have trouble applying the rules on questions. Any advice on how to make the information click?

I am planning to write within 2 months. Because I am still in school, I will only be able to dedicate max 3 hours a day to studying. I would like some advice on how to use my time efficiently. I now understand how the test works, but I am still a little jaded from my first try.
Any suggestions?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 29

Re: LOOKING FOR A TEST STRATEGY scoring a 620-650 on the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 14:12
My first and most important suggestion would be to not take the GMAT in two months. Three hours a day for two months is not enough for a 100-point improvement, especially since you are starting at a 550. According to MBA.com, the average study time for someone scoring a 600-690 is 106 hours. I would strongly suggest taking more time each day or studying over another one to two months.

For quantitative, the MGMAT books are excellent. Have a look at those. Another book that gets great reviews is Total GMAT Math. Where on the quantitative section are you struggling?

The MGMAT SC is definitely the best SC book, so you are off to a good start there. I would also suggest PowerScore CR for CR.

Other than studying those books, get all of the official guides and stay active on the GMAT Club forums. I would suggest working through all of the MGMAT books and try answering three questions a day on GMAT Club.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: LOOKING FOR A TEST STRATEGY scoring a 620-650 on the GMAT   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2013, 14:12