Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:48

Starting Soon!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking for nice explanation It has become apparent in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Looking for nice explanation It has become apparent in [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 11:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:30) wrong based on 1 sessions
Looking for nice explanation

It has become apparent in recent Supreme Court rulings that the rights of an individual to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present.

A) the rights of an individual to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
B) an individual's right to privacy is considerable but not absolute, and that such a right is particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present.
C) individual's rights to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that, when exigent conditions are present, they make such rights particularly weaken
D) considerable but not absolute rights to privacy are given to an individual, and that exigent circumstances particularly weaken such rights
E) the Court considers individual rights as considerable if not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 20:28
I think the answer is B.

A) the rights of an individual to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
Rights of an individual - is wrong
B) an individual's right to privacy is considerable but not absolute, and that such a right is particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present.
This is the right choice : Since privacy is singular and an individual is singluar.. rights cannot be plural.
C) individual's rights to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that, when exigent conditions are present, they make such rights particularly weaken
particularly weaken is wrong
D) considerable but not absolute rights to privacy are given to an individual, and that exigent circumstances particularly weaken such rights
Again plural mistake
E) the Court considers individual rights as considerable if not absolute, and that such rights are particularly weakened when exigent circumstances are present
This completely changes the meaning and tense.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 17

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 21:27
IMO B
as C,D also have Parallelism issue

in A
rights of an individual to privacy is wrong

C) individual's rights to privacy are considerable but not absolute, and that, when exigent conditions are present, they make such rights particularly weaken particularly weaken is wrong
D) considerable but not absolute rights to privacy are given to an individual, and that exigent circumstances particularly weaken such rights Again plural mistake

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Director
Director

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 21:57
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

This is the right choice : Since privacy is singular and an individual is singluar.. rights cannot be plural.

Ok. I was wandering between A and B. Anyway B is preferable to A becuase of expression.
But it is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2009, 08:37
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

Ok. I was wandering between A and B. Anyway B is preferable to A becuase of expression.

It is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)

There's nothing wrong with A's expression. The error is in the subject verb agreement - singular to plural.

I hope you meant 'wondering' :).

In the sentence you have mentioned - man is taken as a plural noun. Hence, the rights. If you were to qualify man with an article 'a' then the right would have been apt.

The aim of all political association - is incorrect . The aim of all political associations is correct.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2009, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

But it is not necessary that "right" would be singular based on noun. Ex: The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man (source: http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/rightsof.asp)

Hi Priyankur,
It's my firm belief that the sentence here tests some unusual aspect and that is 'Singular Vs plural" usage of nouns.
We easily eliminated all options and were left with A and B.
The real difference between A and B is the fact that "right to privacy" cannot be plural because it is one 'particular right'. If we were talking of rights as a complete set or rather say as a group of some rights ( like right to freedom + right to speech+...) that an individual possesses, then , it was much logical to use "rights" rather than "right".
Now, when you read option A keeping in mind that "right to privacy" is a kind of one category/group of rights, you will realise why option B could be right...

Coming to your question....

"The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man"
Here aim is to preserve all those "rights" that are natural and imprescriptible, which itself means there is more than one right taken into consideration...and hence plural. So usage of rights is justified in the example given by you.

I hope it makes sense and is clear..
btw, this was something new for me...thanks a lot :) and +1....

"The highest result of education is tolerance."

VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 03:02
Perfect reasoning. Thats exactly wht i wanted 2 say.
jainu wrote:
pbanavara wrote:
I think the answer is B.

Hi Priyankur,
It's my firm belief that the sentence here tests some unusual aspect and that is 'Singular Vs plural" usage of nouns.
We easily eliminated all options and were left with A and B.
The real difference between A and B is the fact that "right to privacy" cannot be plural because it is one 'particular right'. If we were talking of rights as a complete set or rather say as a group of some rights ( like right to freedom + right to speech+...) that an individual possesses, then , it was much logical to use "rights" rather than "right".
Now, when you read option A keeping in mind that "right to privacy" is a kind of one category/group of rights, you will realise why option B could be right...

Coming to your question....

"The aim of all political association is the preservation of the natural and imprescriptible rights of man"
Here aim is to preserve all those "rights" that are natural and imprescriptible, which itself means there is more than one right taken into consideration...and hence plural. So usage of rights is justified in the example given by you.

I hope it makes sense and is clear..
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 21:34
yeah..agree with B, mentioned reasons
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 22:50
I would have initally picked A but after the going through the advised logic - B does seem to be more correct.

Good point on "Right to Privacy", "Right to man arms" and so forth....good one. It is a singular concept.

OA plzzz?

-talent is the desire to practice-

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 10:03
A - Subject verb error.
B - Correct Ans
C - Ponoun "they" do not have a referrent
D - Passive
E - Repetation of the noun Court

Choose Life

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 04 May 2009, 13:07
I chose B by POE..

here is my reasoning.

A is wrong --- 'that clause' should be singular so sub-verb agreement fails here.
C is wrong --- 'they' is not clear
D is wrong --- awkward
E is wrong --- using idiom incorrectly . (correct usage: consider XY, but here consider X as Y )

but I am wondering whether my reasoning for A is correct to consider this wrong? can some one explain me?
Director
Director

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy [#permalink] New post 09 May 2009, 20:04
jainu wrote:

Got it.
same to you too.

Impeccably, OA is B.

Re: SC - Rights of Privacy   [#permalink] 09 May 2009, 20:04