Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking for R2 options- beyond a weird background

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Looking for R2 options- beyond a weird background [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 10:48
Hi Everyone,

I don't have your stereotypical background (ivy league glassblower) so I'm looking for any help or suggestions that can be given. I applied Stanford (might as well try right?) Yale, and Duke R1 and am looking for programs for R2 incase I don't hear back (so far I've pretty much discounted Yale and Stanford and my hope's still there for Duke- but I figure it's time to put some eggs in other baskets) Here's my background:

32 F
GMAT: 730
V42
Q48
AWA5.5

Education:
Cornell, BS in Design and Environmental Analysis
Co-Captain and four starting player on the Varsity Softball team
GPA: 3.07
I transferred from engineering my freshman year with Cs in both calc classes, a B in Econ and a C in finance (not so proud of myself, but I was 17 and apparently not thinking about my future) My GPA rose to a 3.5 then dropped back down until it was a 2.9 my last year (I really was not interested in at all in my major)

Work Experience:
This is where things get weird- I graduated from Cornell and devoted myself to glassblowing professionally (I had picked it up as a hobby in college) I travelled the US doing anything I could to learn (It takes around 10,000 hours- 5 years of 40 hours a week- to be proficient enough to be paid) I put in enough time to gain 10,000 hours experience in three years and was hired by the world's leading authority on glass and the worlds largest glass museum to represent them and perform glassblowing demonstrations.
In 2008 I was hired full-time to start the worlds first glassblowing studio and demonstration on a cruise ship as part of the museum's partner ship with a cruise line. We are now on three ships and I have spent the last five years building this program from scratch developing budgets, inventory, training documentation and structure. I have extensive public speaking and presentation skills (I do this daily) and have represented our museum and presented to multiple fortune 500 companies, international experience, etc…. I could go on with the strange things my job entails but I'll hold back.

Goals:
I love and have always loved museums and the vast majority of my professional experience is in marketing and promotion for a museum. I have had the opportunity to work with in multiple other organizations and museums as part of partnerships and have been able to witness a variety of management styles. Ideally I would like to continue working with in the museum (non-profit) field in marketing and rise to the position of director of marketing then museum director for a science based museum.

I applied to Stanford, Yale, and Duke because of their loan forgiveness for graduates pursuing a career in nonprofit.

I'd like to apply R2 for programs on the west coast and, being a glassblower working for a nonprofit, of course, financing is crucial and would ideally like to attend a program where I might receive some kind of grant/scholarship/etc. The programs I'm looking at are UCLA, University of Washington: Foster (strong glass community in seattle,) Berkeley (long shot again?), and randomly Georgetown, and HEC (as a dream).

If you can imagine, working at a museum and being tied to the arts community, there aren't many people around me that know much about the process and any suggestions for programs would be greatly appreciated. I'm I aiming way too high due to my GPA? Anyone know of any schools who might help lessen the financial load? Thanks so much everyone!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2279

Kudos [?]: 8814 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Looking for R2 options- beyond a weird background [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 14:02
Expert's post
I think your choices are good, and I do feel that European programs may be a good fit for you too (e.g. HEC, Judge, Rotterdam).

I would definitely recommend Haas - Berkeley is first artistic, then a business school. Foster, yes, there is the Chihuly influence in Seattle. What about Tuck?

I think UCLA is an OK choice since you are looking for the west coast since unfortunately not that many well-ranked schools on the west coast.

P.S. I think your background should give you a good stance and chances at the mainstream schools such as Wharton, Booth, Insead, and Ross where someone with your background may be a scarcity.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Looking for R2 options- beyond a weird background [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 16:48
bb wrote:
I think your choices are good, and I do feel that European programs may be a good fit for you too (e.g. HEC, Judge, Rotterdam).

I would definitely recommend Haas - Berkeley is first artistic, then a business school. Foster, yes, there is the Chihuly influence in Seattle. What about Tuck?

I think UCLA is an OK choice since you are looking for the west coast since unfortunately not that many well-ranked schools on the west coast.

P.S. I think your background should give you a good stance and chances at the mainstream schools such as Wharton, Booth, Insead, and Ross where someone with your background may be a scarcity.

Thanks so much bb. There's so much information out there it's nice to have some input. I'm going to try and get my application in R2 for Foster (coming up soon) and I think it would be a good fit since Seattle really is a mecca for glassblowers so I already have quite a few connections. I'm going to take a serious look at HEC, my only worry is my GPA. Any idea as to how big a problem it would be? I've been out of school now for 10 years.

I'm definitely going to research Tuck, Insead (though they have a language requirement that I don't know if I could muster), Warton, Booth, and Ross. This forum has been an amazing source of information and clarity throughout this process and thank you so much for your feed back!
Re: Looking for R2 options- beyond a weird background   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2013, 16:48