Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: IT
Schools:Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and Strategy
Schools:[color=red][CBS Class of 2013]
 Q37  V40 GMAT 2: 700  Q43  V44
GPA: 3.88
WE 1: 2 years investment banking (middle-market)
WE 2: 3.5 years transaction modeling / consulting (big 4)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Looking for some advice [#permalink]
Let me re-define my statement

It is a NO, if you are considering the best schools( I assume you are talking of top 10).

They maybe 'N' number of stories, but we need to understand that the MBA applicant pool has become more younger and the top school avg age is getting lower every year. Unless an extraordinary profile I say it is tough or pure luck to get an admit.

anyways, a better way would be apply to both and see rather than banking on only MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance and Strategy
Schools:[color=red][CBS Class of 2013]
 Q37  V40 GMAT 2: 700  Q43  V44
GPA: 3.88
WE 1: 2 years investment banking (middle-market)
WE 2: 3.5 years transaction modeling / consulting (big 4)
Send PM
I agree that she should apply to both to cover her bases but I still dont think you (superman) can say with such surety that she is a "no" at top 10 schools purely based on her age and work profile (which you know nothing about apart that its IT since she didnt give any details). I realize that it may be an uphill battle at the top 10 schools - particularly due to her age being above the average. However, business schools are trying to recruit more women so that will work in her favor. Without knowing what she has to offer in terms of work ex, personality, activities, personal life stories/experiences/hobbies, you cant tell somone with such certainty that they have no chance. if you choose to do so, then caveat it with it is your own opinion and that a person should do their own research and consult others before making a decision of where to apply.

https://adam-markus.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... thout.html

The above a link from adam markus's (well known admissions consultant) blog. in the post, he talks about how he has been humbled by people who got in when he thought they had no chance and why he wont comment on an applicants chances with certainty.
Director
Director
Send PM
I will apply to both the kinds when time comes and see how that works out.

I do agree that I am above the average age for applying at top b-schools and hence posted here to get expert opinions. However, if I do not get into one of the top b-schools than that will be ok too.

I will try but if I dont get it..I dont get it....simple....life is not going to end there.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
It is obvious that it is my personal opinion, was there any kind of confusion ? :)) ...

Anyways, I dont want to start an argument, I apologize for any kind of wrong signals that I might have sent.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for some advice from the experts out here.

W/E: 10 years [currently]
GMAT:Yet to take
Sex : Female

I did my bachelors degree (3 years degree program) from India. After getting rejected from few b-schools, realized that my 3 years degree is going to be hindrance in pursuing masters degree. So I decided to get a bachelors degree from US. Finally, attended school, where I got credit for my first bachelors degree and finished the bachelors degree from US. I graduated in Dec. 2009 with honors and earned a GPA of 3.97. Also, got the Distinguished Achievement Award from my university. Dont know if this award can be of any added advantage in my profile.

Coming to my work experience, I belong to the huge IT pool, I worked in one of the top 5 software companies in India for 4 years and working in US from last 6 years. Currently, I am working as Senior Business Analyst on a project and also got appointed as Project Manager in my company two years ago. As PM, I lead a group of four team members. I have got few appreciation letters from my clients and also got the best employee award from my company three years ago.

My plan is to take GMAT in next few months and apply to some of the best schools for the class starting in 2011. Do you think I have any chance getting in any of the best schools in US.

Hi seek,

I noted a few things about your profile, and thought to weigh in. Both quantconcerns and superman make excellent points, and my advice is the middle path between both.

First, yes, you are a little older than the average full-time MBA candidate. The average age at most top programs, including Booth that has been cited as an example, is around 27. Besides affecting your chances for admission, what this means from a more practical perspective, is that much of the curriculum and many of the employment opportunities are targeted to candidates with fewer years of work experience. This is not so at executive programs, for both the academic and professional opportunities, and hence it is possible that you might be a better fit there.

However, that is not to say that you cannot get into a full-time MBA program at one of the top 10 schools. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the age range of my own MBA class was 21-42! When you are a bit of an outlier as an applicant, it becomes more necessary to have strong reasons on why it makes sense for you to seek an MBA at this point, when you are possibly more senior at the workplace than your classmates.

There are many schools that do accept 3-year undergraduate degree programs, just as there are those that don't. If you have gotten rejections, I would refrain from quickly ascribing it to having a three-year degree. I like that you took the initiative to get another Bachelor's degree and attained academic honors. Although it will certainly help your case to have an undergraduate degree that can be quickly categorized at a US business school, I might have advised you to complete a one-year Master's degree instead. It would have resolved the issue of 16 years of academic experience, and garnered you an additional Master's degree.

Your work experience in IT will not set you apart by itself, since Indians with an IT background are a common demographic. Rather, the personality, achievements and unique experiences that you bring out through your application will be much more useful.

In summary, your application chances at one of the top full-time programs are slightly hampered by your age and IT background. However, being a woman with a potentially high GMAT score, strong essays and recommendations, and connecting with your interviewer can do much to raise your chances. For now, focus on the GMAT. When the time comes, apply to a mix of schools to be on the safe side.

If you would like to learn more on how we can help, drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com or find about our Application Packages and Volume Discounts that will help position you in the best way for your target business schools.
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks MyMBAAdmit for your valuable advice. I will most certainly focus on GMAT for now and leave rest to decide as and when the time comes. Thanks again.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
seekmba wrote:
Thanks MyMBAAdmit for your valuable advice. I will most certainly focus on GMAT for now and leave rest to decide as and when the time comes. Thanks again.

You are very welcome! Once you have your GMAT score in hand, check out our Candidate Profiling and School Selection tool (mentioned in the signature below). We highly recommend it as a way to apply to those schools where you have the highest chances. Drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to learn more. All the best!
GMAT Club Bot