Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Florida
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor. [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 10:48
Hi everyone,
I took GMAT last week but verbal score was too low ( Q43, V12, total 460) :?: . I had been studying for over half of a year, and now I am disoriented. I took Kaplan online class, I studied OG12 as well.
I need to take the test again in this Apr. Please suggest me what kind of books to improve my verbal and whether I need a tutor. Anyway, I live in Gainesville, Florida. Please help!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 302

Kudos [?]: 471 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor. [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 11:59
Expert's post
Hi Huekhiemtran,

Do not despair :). There can be many reasons for your score, from prep strategies to the proverbial bad day. The key is identifying how you prepped and to help identify the areas in which you could tweak your approach.

So a few important questions:

1. Did you take any practice tests before the real exam, and, if so, which ones and what were you scores?

2. How did you structure your practice sessions with the Official Guide? For instance, did you ever do timed drills? Did you mix up question types?

3. When you missed questions how did you follow up on them?

4. How did you go about learning new concepts? How often did you apply what you learn to actual practice questions? Did you go back and review or did you always move on to new material?

I know this is quite the flurry of questions! However, knowing the answer to them will definitely help me figure out in which area you could improve.

Of course there is always the question of not how you used materials but which materials you used. The OG is the bible of GMAT prep -at least for questions (explanations often are mystifying than illuminating). I haven't heard too much about the Kaplan on-line course so I can't speak to that. As far as the Holy Grail of prep goes in terms of learning fundamentals, nobody can beat Manhattan GMAT.

If you are more disposed to video learning, I recommend Magoosh. We have lesson videos covering all of the fundamentals and 700+ practice questions to help you apply the concepts you've learnt.

Anyhow, I'd love to get your responses to the questions above so I can provide a targeted plan to help you get the score you need.

Hope that was helpful :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5097 [0], given: 164

Re: Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor. [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 21:54
Expert's post
huekhiemtran wrote:
Hi everyone,
I took GMAT last week but verbal score was too low ( Q43, V12, total 460) :?: . I had been studying for over half of a year, and now I am disoriented. I took Kaplan online class, I studied OG12 as well.
I need to take the test again in this Apr. Please suggest me what kind of books to improve my verbal and whether I need a tutor. Anyway, I live in Gainesville, Florida. Please help!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks.

I see that last time you got a V19 and this time you got V12 (though there has been improvement in Q). If you took an online course and did OG12 too, my suggestion would be to look for a tutor asap. There is certainly something wrong in the way you are approaching Verbal and trying to work on it yourself isn't really working. In case finances are tight, take a package of only 8-10 hrs and split it into 2 parts. Spend 4-5 hrs with the tutor on 'what you are doing', 'how you are doing it', 'where you are going wrong' etc. He will make a study plan for you and tell you how to go about it. He should be able to figure out why things are going wrong with you. Thereafter, work on your own for the next 1 month and do as suggested by your tutor. Then spend another 4-5 hrs with him ironing out the wrinkles.
Irrespective of whether you take a Kaplan, Manhattan (owned by Kaplan), Veritas or any other standard test prep company's course, you should be able to manage V25-30 at least. (The difference in the courses lies in the strategies offered to get higher range scores but they all tackle the fundamentals quite well). You need some personalized attention to quickly figure out why and then work on it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 131

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 10

Re: Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor. [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 00:39
Expert's post
I will second the tutoring recommendation. I often work with students who have been self-studying, or who took a course and didn't see the progress they wanted. Sometimes you need someone to look at what you are doing and help you to get pointed in the right direction. Often, students who have been studying by themselves have built up bad habits, or have developed some misconceptions about the material. Even one session can be a great corrective, especially in verbal.

In the meantime, make sure you are fitting in some reading every day. I recommend pulling from a variety of sources--GMAT material, newspaper columns, science magazines, etc. Make sure you are reading for meaning and practicing good paragraph-by-paragraph note-taking. To improve in verbal, you need to increase your comprehension skills and speed, while becoming comfortable with the challenge of plunging into unfamiliar material and getting comfortable as quickly as possible.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Schools: University of Florida
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor. [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2012, 13:09
Thanks everybody for your pep talks. after all, I do not think that I will sign up for another online course and I decided to choose a tutor program from Manhatta.
Hopefully, with a tutor, I can work everything out and get the score that I wanted.
Thanks again.
Re: Looking for suggestion about GMAT books and GMAT tutor.   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2012, 13:09