Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 23:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 15:05
Hello GMATClub folks,
I've really been enjoying participating in the forum. Some people were kind enough to respond to my earlier post regarding a large GMAT increase (thanks y'all!) and so I thought you may be able to offer some additional perspective.

My profile is as follows:
I have a great career going in one of the tier two (Deloitte, Accenture, IBM, KPMG, etc) firms in a management consulting practice but have been thinking about an MBA since I graduated from college.

My employer has a tuition reimbursement program for high performers like me and I wish to pursue a graduate degree to increase my skills and move from my current human capital focus to more strategic consulting work. I would like to transition to the McKinsey/BCG/Bain tier but will potentially need to return to my employer to fulfill the requirements of the scholarship program.

I’m definitely an intuitive-verbal-communicator type and had to do some serious studying to get my GMAT quant score up.
http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html

Demographics:
Female, 27 – 28 at matriculation (June, 1984)
Caucasian, of Italian decent (immigrant parents)

GMAT: 740 (48Q, 44V, 6.0 AWA)

Education:
BA English Literature & Creative Writing, Liberal Arts School, 2006 with Minors in Economics & Classical History
GPA: 3.66, with strong grades in all quant classes including Calc, Econ Quant I & II, Accounting, etc.
• Study Abroad: 7 months in Rome, Italy with coursework in Classics, History, Italian Language, Art History
• Lots of University Extra Curriculars in music, sports, community volunteering

Work Experience
4.5 years (5.5 at matriculation) at major consultancy’s management consulting practice
• Specialization in Human Capital consulting
• Promoted from analyst to consultant to manager in 4.5 years (extra fast-track)
• Rated in top 30% FY09, FY10, top 5% FY11
• Projects included ERP, M&A (pre acquisition readiness), strategic planning governance
• Lots of formal and informal leadership experience (consultant and client direct reports, volunteer leadership roles, etc)

Extra Curriculars
• Lead new hire integration program
• On MBA and BA recruiting team for big 10 university
• 2 Pro Bono projects with local environmental non-profit (talent strategy, strategic planning)
• (non-work) Accounting Aid - tax preparation for low income residents
• (non-work) Mentorship program for middle schooler with autism

Please help me to:
1. Assess my chances at the schools I am applying to below
2. Provide opinions if I should apply to any of the other schools on my firm's tuition reimbursement list

I am currently writing essays and finalizing apps for:
Sanford GSB - stretch school
Booth - nearer stretch
Kellogg
Tuck
Ross
Darden

The additional schools on my firm’s scholarship program are:
HBS
Columbia
Fuqua
Haas
Sloan
Stern
Wharton

Thanks much in advance!

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 19:14
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2221

Kudos [?]: 8226 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 20:02
Expert's post
I think you have fantastic chances.

In my opinion, HBS is the ultimate consultant school. (whether you have been one or going to be one, that's the place). Why did you rule it out? You don't feel that you would fit in?

I am assuming you are applying in 2012 then for 2013 matriculation? R2 is really close for most of the schools and probably not feasible. R3 may be very tough in the top 10 but your profile looks meaningfully better than what I usually get to see. I think the key point is that you present yourself well and you are able to communicate it (probably half the job).

Kellogg - yes, McKinsey hired 55 people here last year. northwestern-kellogg-106561.html

Fewer hires but still high:
McKinsey is the #2 employer at Ross michigan-ross-102897.html
McKinsey is the #2 employer at Duke (after Deloitte) duke-fuqua-103038.html
Not very clear about Darden: http://www.darden.virginia.edu/web/uplo ... 10-11%20(3).pdf

I think the bottom line is - in the top 10, you will be able to get into McKinsey (whether from a larger class at Kellogg, or a smaller class at Tuck). I would recommend visiting the school and making sure you have a good fit with the culture, students, and faculty (this will very strongly impact your ability to get in and of course your overall experience).... the job after the school - it matters but a number of graduates go into a different field after graduation than what they planned/expected at application.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 09:27
Thank you for your review and kind words.
I am applying R2 this year and have essay drafts done now - in the refining process. I know it's tight, but I don't want to wait another year if possible.

As for HBS, I am somewhat turned off by the class size. My undergrad experience was a liberal arts college of 1400 students total, and so I'm unsure about fitting in there. I guess I also have some mental block going on: little ole me good enough for Harvard?

The other major consideration is that I have read that HBS has a significant age bias and that 28 at matriculation (me) is basically an auto-ding unless you've cured cancer on the weekends.

Your thoughts?

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Re: Looking forward to your eval - 27/F/740/Consulting   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2011, 09:27