Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Looking to score 40+ in verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 04:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,
In both the GMAT Prep Practice tests that I took, I was able to attempt only 32(in 1st test)-34(in 2nd test) questions and scored 33 & 34 respectively in verbal. I also noticed that out of these questions, I answered 9-10 questions wrongly i.e my accuracy rate was below 70%. I want to know: generally people who get verbal score of more that 40 on actual GMAT, are they able attempt all the 41 questions genuinely or they also skip some last questions or guess few in between to complete the test on time? Also what is there accuracy rate. My aim here is to get an idea about how my speed matches with other and how much accuracy I need, my aim is to get 40+ in verbal and hence want to form a strategy accordingly.

I would request people who have achieved v40+ in GMAT, people who score V40+ on other mock tests as well as instructors to please throw some light on the question above.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [1] , given: 67

Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 04:30
This post received
KUDOS
I havent scored V 40 yet, but yes from the debriefs that i have read through out these years, I have noticed that you should not make more than 5-7 mistakes in total. Now that can come from skipping questions or from mistakes. Moreover, it depends on the weighted avg of the questions ie how many 700 level question you get correct.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 816 [2] , given: 82

Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shindesubodh wrote:
Hi,
In both the GMAT Prep Practice tests that I took, I was able to attempt only 32(in 1st test)-34(in 2nd test) questions and scored 33 & 34 respectively in verbal. I also noticed that out of these questions, I answered 9-10 questions wrongly i.e my accuracy rate was below 70%. I want to know: generally people who get verbal score of more that 40 on actual GMAT, are they able attempt all the 41 questions genuinely or they also skip some last questions or guess few in between to complete the test on time? Also what is there accuracy rate. My aim here is to get an idea about how my speed matches with other and how much accuracy I need, my aim is to get 40+ in verbal and hence want to form a strategy accordingly.

I would request people who have achieved v40+ in GMAT, people who score V40+ on other mock tests as well as instructors to please throw some light on the question above.

Hi Shindesubodh and Archit,

If you have just started or are in between your prep then 34 is a good score. It means your understanding of most of the basic concepts is good and may need to focus on some specific areas.

As far as my test experience is concerned, I guessed on one question in the middle, just to keep pace of time during the test. I did the same for both verbal and quant. In the testing scenarios conducted in the above post a score of 42 was achieved after getting 6 questions incorrect; however, where you got the questions incorrect in more important than how many.

Leaving any unanswered question at the end of the test will hurt one very badly so you should make every effort to complete the test in time. Guessing the last one or two questions will not be very detrimental for your score, but guessing the first two will surely hurt.

This post will help you understand the scoring patterns on GMAT Verbal - topic146146.html#p1171779

From a level of 35+ to 40+ in verbal is all about increasing your efficiency and accuracy by practice and targeting your weak areas. I strengthened my SC so that I can solve the SC questions quickly and offset the extra time used in RC questions.

Hope this helps,
Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 36

Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
In my opinion, for someone who has struggled to break 40+ in Verbal but understands the basics well enough to crack 30 every time, there is one incredibly straightforward path to success. Read 10+ full English WSJ articles a day for a couple of months and at the end of each article, map the structure of the article (MGMAT calls this making a "skeleton"). It's really that simple. You'll become familiar with the type of syntax, vocabulary, and style that the GMAT utilizes, and you'll also hone your critical reading skills.

I'd wish you good luck, but as I'm convinced that this is a foolproof strategy, then let me just wish you good willpower to follow through with this type of strategy.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 5

Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 13:49
Expert's post
shindesubodh wrote:
Hi,

If you're aiming at V40+, you're going to need to finish all the questions in time. A good test taker will be able to finish with just a minute or so of time.

Pacing is tricky - but a lot of it comes with knowing what to read carefully and what not to ready carefully - so you know how to breeze through things slowly.

We walk through some sample passages in slow motion so you know what exactly to read and what not to - all in an attempt to help you reduce your time per question.

http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 20:31
gmatpill wrote:
shindesubodh wrote:
Hi,

If you're aiming at V40+, you're going to need to finish all the questions in time. A good test taker will be able to finish with just a minute or so of time.

Pacing is tricky - but a lot of it comes with knowing what to read carefully and what not to ready carefully - so you know how to breeze through things slowly.

We walk through some sample passages in slow motion so you know what exactly to read and what not to - all in an attempt to help you reduce your time per question.

http://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

HI
Whats new there, that you are providing. Every test prep company provides that, what extra do you give?
Archit
Re: Looking to score 40+ in verbal   [#permalink] 24 May 2013, 20:31