Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 05:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOR - Advice on selecting 2 from 3 recommenders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: McCombs '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

LOR - Advice on selecting 2 from 3 recommenders [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 11:34
Hello,

I understand that most B-schools prefer a recommendation from a direct supervisor/manager and someone who has worked extensively with you that will be able to provide valuable insight. Based on this I would like some insight as to how to narrow down to two recommenders from my list of 3. I'm applying to a program that focuses a lot on leadership and communications. I've had 4 years of work experience.

1. Big 4: Work Experience + Reputable firm + 3 years experience + No real leadership role + Communications impact would be limited (limited to communicating with clients and/or team)

2. Telecom company: Work Experience + Reputable in the Middle East + 3 months experience (with this recommender) + Some leadership (overseeing work of 5 agents) + Communications with the team, other departments. Additionally, he appointed me to speak at two company sponsored events in front of an audience of 2500+

3. Area Governor of my Toastmasters Club: Extracurricular activity + Local club (although Toastmasters is Internationally recognized)+ 2 years experience + 2 leadership positions (Past President and VP PR - 6 months each) + Great communications skills (won awards at club and area level).

I would really appreciate any advice/insights on the best way of narrowing down my recommenders for a school whose essays primarily focus on leadership and communications.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: LOR - Advice on selecting 2 from 3 recommenders [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 21:27
Hi,

It would be the best to choose as recommenders people with whom you have spent the maximum time.
Such people will have the most to say about you and the colleges will want to believe them, since they know you best.

Based upon your post, I would suggest you take the recommendation from people with whom you have atleast 2 years work collaboration.
Mix and match them to include work capailites and those of extra-curricular work or hobbies.

I would suggest you not to include people with whom your exposure was just 3 months when you have better recommendors available :)

Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!
Current Student
Schools: McCombs '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.39

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: LOR - Advice on selecting 2 from 3 recommenders [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:30
Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that my post MBA goal relates a lot to what I am currently doing (recommender of 3 months). I think this school allows for 3 recommendations too - but then again I don't want to give them more documentation if I can help reduce it.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V36
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: -2 [0], given: 8

Re: LOR - Advice on selecting 2 from 3 recommenders [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 22:33
kana162 wrote:
Thanks for your response. I forgot to mention that my post MBA goal relates a lot to what I am currently doing (recommender of 3 months). I think this school allows for 3 recommendations too - but then again I don't want to give them more documentation if I can help reduce it.

Thats great then :)
Make the best of what you already have...
Please press KUDOS if my post helped !!