Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lost as to how proceed with Quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Lost as to how proceed with Quant [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2013, 13:43
Hi all,

I've been studying for the GMAT on/off for close to a year now. I took GMATPrep 1 as my diagnostic in February and came out with a 610, scoring a 35 in Quant and a 39 in Verbal. My goal is to score a 49/50 in Quant so, taking the advice on here, I started with the Foundations of GMAT Math book and I studied on and off (averaging a couple of hours a week) until July when I went into it at earnest. I study verbal in the morning for approx. 2 hours either at the office or on the train in and I do Quant afterwork for 2 hours. I also study approx. 5-7 hours per day on the weekends. I did not touch the OG13 during this initial period because I wanted to make sure the questions would be put to the best use so I went over the Foundations of GMAT Math book and MGMAT Math books multiple times. Looking back, I believe this was a horrible approach as I should have been doing the OG13 questions as I went.

In the beginning of August, I started incorporating the OG13 into my approach while also bringing verbal into the mix. I have taken 3 MGMAT practice exams since then.

9/13 – MGMAT CAT 1 – 610 – Q42, V33
11/23/13 – MGMAT CAT 2 – 610 – Q42, V33
12/1/13 – MGMAT CAT 3 – 650 – Q36, V43

As you can see, my quant score has not made any improvement.

I’ve been through most of the OG13 questions 2-3x now and am consistently getting ~25% wrong. I do have made an error log of all the questions I have gotten wrong. I do believe I have not utilized this to the fullest.

I’ve also read over the compilation of links regarding raising a Quant score from 40-45 and from 45-50 but I’m curious if anyone has any other information to provide.

What I've been doing after every test is going back and redoing all the OG13 problems from the sections of any questions I got wrong. However, because I get questions wrong in so many questions, I'm running into atrophy issues trying to work through them all.

I’m lost as to how to proceed here. I get questions wrong across the board and don’t seem to have any strengths (maybe work/rate problems but even those are iffy). When I review the tests and the OG13 problems, I understand the math behind nearly every problem. My problem is that I just don’t see how to proceed on these problems when I read them. And these are on OG13 questions that GMAT Club argues are easier than what I'll see on the actual test. I can’t pick apart what the question is looking for with regards to the initial steps regarding setting up the problem. Once it’s set up my arithmetic is usually sound enough to bring me to the answer.

I’m currently looking into private tutoring and the person I met with recommended just going over setups of questions in order to build my pattern recognition skills. Is this the right approach?

I'm pretty frustrated right now (will keep chugging along) so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to take the GMAT by the first week of January in order to make R2 deadlines but this is looking like a pipe dream at this point.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 6

Re: Lost as to how proceed with Quant [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 08:47
Expert's post
Quote:
I’ve been through most of the OG13 questions 2-3x now and am consistently getting ~25% wrong. I do have made an error log of all the questions I have gotten wrong. I do believe I have not utilized this to the fullest.

I’ve also read over the compilation of links regarding raising a Quant score from 40-45 and from 45-50 but I’m curious if anyone has any other information to provide.

What I've been doing after every test is going back and redoing all the OG13 problems from the sections of any questions I got wrong. However, because I get questions wrong in so many questions, I'm running into atrophy issues trying to work through them all.

If you are consistently getting 25% wrong on the same set of questions - then you need to change what you're doing. Clearly, you are not learning from your mistakes - even on the same question. Or perhaps you might learn from a few but then get new ones wrong.

Take a look at the following videos for OG we've put together - see if how you are approaching these questions differ from the way we are approaching them:

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Lost as to how proceed with Quant   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2013, 08:47