Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 18:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lost in confusion.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lost in confusion. [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 00:25
Hi Guys,
I would be highly obliged if you could help me clear up my confusion.
My profile is like:
GMAT: 690(49Q,35V)/AWA 4.00
Work Ex: .6 years as IT consultant employed in India.
.Working majorly into telecom development projects.
.Have been a key player in the design of various enhancements on the telecom switch that lead us to an entry into Class5 segment of the switch.
.Lead 3 crucial releases of the same product.
.Have a lot of international exposure.
Educational Background: BTech in Elec from IIT Bombay.
Toefl: 287/essay 5.5

After taking my toefl in october, I gave a try to a few schools and failed miserably as I realized my applications were not outstanding. I am thinking of giving the task of rewriting and reviewing my applications to some professional consultants who can do it for me. The schools I applied to are:
Columbia ED,
Duke Fuqua,
Sloan.

Got dinged from both Columbia and Fuqua and I am not too hopeful about the result from Sloan.
I am planning to try again for 2007 intake and my area of interest is in consulting, mainly into strategy.
But I want to know how difficult or easy it is to switch to strategy consulting after being into IT/Telecom Consulting. I pressed my point too much in the applications that I want to be into strategy, it being the driving force behind my MBA decision.
What would be your suggestions about the schools that I should apply to for my MBA? Should I concentrate only on MBA degrees like Information Tech/Generel MBA/International MBA, or is it ok to go and make a switch in favor of strategy consulting?
I talked to one of my friends (who happened to be my batchmate at IIT and is currently pursuing MBA in Columbia) and he suggested me to apply in the Top 15 univs with 1 in Top 5, 2 in next 5 and 2 in the next 5. He also suggested me that I should reconsider taking up GMAT and try to score 700+ with more uniform score for Quant and Verbal.
So I am in a fix with the following doubts:
1. Should I take up GMAT again?
2. Should I apply only to TOP 15 schools and not to TransElite.?
3. Should I apply to any international School?
4. Should I consult professional app writers?
5. What schools should I apply to?

Your help in this regard is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Vikrant
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 12:41
First off I think you have great stats but you come (as I am sure you know) from a pretty populated and extremely competitive applicant pool. Personally I tink your GMAT is excellent, but I am sure being in your applicant pool makes that score just average. So to answer your questions:

1) Maybe. If you feel you can do a lot better than do it. Just make sure you get a higher score.

2) and 3) I only applied to two schools (UCLA and Fuqua) and was dinged by one and waitlisted by the other. My plan for next year was to diversify my risk and apply to multiple schools, I think you should do the same. There are enough good b-schools that you should only apply to schools you like and that you would definately go to if you are accepted.

4) I cannot give you advice on this but I can tell you that I am definately thinking about it for myself next year. My fear is that I might lose my voice, but then again they might just modify your voice and tell the adcom what they want to hear...means to an end

5) I personally think your profile is competitive enough for the schools you applied. Often times I have seen people in your pool of applicants ask the same question and the answer that Scoot, Omari, Linda or Hjort give them is UCLA (Elite) Tepper and UT Texas Austin (both trans-elites)

Again this is my advice as an unsuccessful candidate and is based on what I plan on changing if the Fuqua waitlist does not work out. I just felt it might help you out but then again I am not an expert. GOOD LUCK with MIT :)

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2006, 17:36
This advise is only for Indian IT ppl (with similar profile like urs) and not for everyone else. I will be brutally honest with u. No matter what anyone tells u, indian applicant (IT) pool is very competitive. Even tho ur GMAT is good but it is not gr8 (by indian pool standards). U have to get 720+ to be comfortable for Top b-schools. This is more like a hygiene factor. That's the tough truth for us IT-Indians (hate this word!). After u have crossed this barrier u need to think abt innovative ways to distinguish urself from the crowd with same old background. Let's face it that majority of us have same background - engineer blah blah and nothing new or different. But remember everyone is unique, just need to think harder.

To get good ROI on ur MBA investment I wud recommend to shoot for the best. MBA can be gotten from anywhere in US (including online) so only the name associated with the degree that makes it valuable. See a good article here:

http://geocities.com/topmbaprograms/Top5MBA.htm

As a sidenote, reading ur description of ur job such as - "
on the telecom switch that lead us to an entry into Class5 segment of the switch. .Lead 3 crucial releases of the same product.
-

made me wish that u didn't use that technical language in ur essays. Make sure ur essay can be understood by a layman. Also u can read "Your MBA game plan" and Richard Montauk books for good reference.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 06:56
Thanks Green and Banerjee,
I think I used a lot of technical terms in my essay which must have been the cause of my rejection. Anyways, I think I will try again with TransElite schools, IIM-A and ISB for next year intake and will tone down my essays to be simple and understandable.
Green, all the best with Fuqua.

Regards,
Vikrant
  [#permalink] 29 Mar 2006, 06:56