Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lost. Totally. :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Lost. Totally. :( [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 23:03
hey! last week, i gave gmatprep1 and scored a 700(Q48 v38). i made many careless mistakes in quant (only 2 out of the 10 errors were because i didn't know the concepts). I made 13 errors in verbal out of which 9 were sentence correction mistakes. i went through the entire MGMAT SC book for the second time and solved the corresponding OG problems with an accuracy of about 85%.

It was all fine till i gave my kaplan CAT 1 today. It's the one from the CD of premier program 2012. I scored a 560(Q38 V29)!!
I can solve the OG quant problems very easily under timed conditions and get an accuracy of about 80-90% during each session(25-30 problems in each session). But the CAT1 quant was too difficult! i've read posts where people have said that kaplan quant is easier than GMAT and that the new tests are 20-40 pts off the actual score. if that is the case, i'm screwed!
for me, the RCs were totally incomprehensible. i was lost and had no clue as to what was going on in them. and now that the test is over, i cant review the questions in which i went wrong. when i click on 'explain answers', it just shows me an ideal answer for the first AWA. how to i continue to the remaining questions?

also, i wanted to know if the online CATS are the same as the cd CATS? if not, i'll try giving an online one next time.

My GMAT debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/thanks-all-720-q49-v40-122303.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lost. Totally. :( [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 05:58
Hey, Manhattan GMAT offers a free prep-test if you register there. Please take the test and post the results here :)

Given your comfort level with the OG questions, I think the first score might be an anomaly. Take the Manhattan test to confirm my hypothesis ;)

Gooc luck!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77203

CAT Tests
Re: Lost. Totally. :( [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 11:18
I think Kaplan makes it tests ridiculously hard in order to "encourage" you to sign up for their GMAT program. Like previous poster says I would recommend you take MGMAT's 6 online CATs for a more accurate representation of your score. I think the tests come free with the purchase of one of their guides so your SC should give you 6 online CATs to obtain a more accurate description. Lastly, GMAT Prep is the MOST ACCURATE measurement of your performance on the REAL THING...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Lost. Totally. :( [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 21:11
thanks a lot for the help. i have access to the MGMAT CATs. however, i have saved them for the end as i've read that they're the ones which come closest to GMATprep. I thought i'd start off with kaplan to improve my test taking skills but ended up with the disastrous score. so i guess i'll focus on my preparation, work on my weaknesses and then give the MGMAT CATs. i don't think i'm gonna go anywhere near the kaplan tests now.

My GMAT debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/thanks-all-720-q49-v40-122303.html

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lost. Totally. :( [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 10:58
Expert's post
HI Tan,

The first CAT on the CD isn't actually a CD; it's a diagnostic meant to familiarize new test-preppers with the format and ogranization of the GMAT. And adaptivity notwithstanding, any one prep-test can end up anomalously low if you happen to have been distracted, tired, or unfocused.

Take GMAT prep 2, and the rest of the tests on the CAT, and I expect that you'll start to see those higher scores you know you are capable of!

I hope this helps, and thanks for choosing Kaplan.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Lost. Totally. :(   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2011, 10:58