Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 16:35
Today I took my GMAT exam and scored 730 (96 percentile) - Q50 (perc 86) - V38 (perc 92), but I am worried about my AWA score.

I think I submitted a good "Issue" essay but I ran out of time for the "Argument" one. I focused my preparation for the GMAT on Quant and Verbal and didn't practice enough for the Argument essay.

The issue is that I wrote down a template for the "Argument" Essay and then I could only develop the intro and first two paragraphs. I think I spent too much time writing down my template.... so I really don't expect a good score in this "Argument" essay as I could not finish it.

On the other hand, I got an score of 30 in the Writing section of the TOEFL. I am doubtful whether this could make up for my low score on the AWA.

I was planning to retake the GMAT because of this problem but I realized that GMAC doesn't allow me to retake the GMAT until 16th October, and I was planning to apply to some business schools in Early Action (12th October deadline).

What should I do? Do you think my high score on the TOEFL's writing could make up for my low score on the AWA? Should I retake the GMAT and postpone my application to the next round??? I'm very doubtful about this.... Or stating in the optional essay that I was sick and that scored high on the TOEFL's writing would be enough???

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards,
Alejandro
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 17:14
I had no idea a V38 was a 92%. Do you think you maybe have those backwards (Q92 V86)?

Also, don't fret about your AWA, seriously. Don't even let it cross your mind until you have your actual score. Just-just don't. You have no idea what you got and all you're doing is feeding your anxiety.

My blog: http://www.theapplicationist.blogspot.com/
My application status: 2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595.html#p983273

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 18:53
Sorry for the oversight, you are definitely right. My score was 730 (perc 96), Q50 (perc 92), V38 (perc 83).
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake? [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 11:38
Don't retake it. Not worth it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: LOW AWA SCORE... should I retake?   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2011, 11:38