Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 22:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GMAT score 660. Retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low GMAT score 660. Retake? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2005, 13:17
------------------------------
I posted this question on the GMAT experience forum too.
------------------------------

I took the GMAT this morning and received a disappointing 660 (86%) Q49 (90%), V31 (62%) score. I did well on AWA. My target schools are Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Michigan and MIT Sloan, all R2 with deadlines during 1st week of Jan '06. I was targeting a minimum score of 700 and above 80% on both Q and V.

A brief background:
* 29/Indian/Male/Mechanical Engineering
* Undergraduate GPA: 3.90 / top 0.5% of graduating class / India
* Graduate GPA: 3.96 / top school in USA
* 4.5 years solid FT work + 2.5 more years PT research experiences
* Extensive community experience & recognition at the highest levels
* Demonstrated leadership and impact
* Extensive non-work and extra-curricular activities
* Strong essays (in progress) & hopefully strong recommendations
* Honors and distinctions at work, school and community
* Need MBA for business skills as I climb the corporate ladder

How will my low score impact my application to the top schools? All schools insist that GMAT score is just one determinant in the application. The average GMAT score to these schools is usually in the 700-710 range; hence I was targeting more than 700.

Should I retake GMAT? My R2 applications are due on 3/January. Since I took GMAT today (still December), I cannot take GMAT again in December. So, I will have to take GMAT on 3/Jan, come home and complete the applications. Would retaking the GMAT improve my score?

While working fulltime, I will have to devote time to the essays & to filling application forms in addition to further preparing for the GMAT. I would have loved to use all my free time just for essays and applications, but, due to my low GMAT score, find myself in a situation where I may have to take some time off from these to prepare for the GMAT. What will the payoff be?

Time is clearly a penalty if I retake the GMAT on 3/Jan. Will I be able to improve my score by 50 or 60 points? On verbal, I tend to be slow. I had studied less than I wanted to for today's test; will 14 days of more practice help?

Will my low score impact the way my credentials are viewed? Should I take the GMAT? Or just concentrate on the essays? I will appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 17:57
Your are in a very tough position. It is probably too late to take the GMAT over again and submit a strong application. Honestly, unless you are 50% done with your application it's probably too late to complete strong applications in general.

If you are eager to get into a b-school during this application season, you might want to set your sights lower than top 10 schools. At this point, it sounds like you will have a tough time getting in.

http://www.mbagameplan.com