Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2009, 18:17
Hello All,
I took my GMAT last week but did not get a good score. My score @500. Should i even think of applying to any part time program, specially schools in New York City viz Stern, or Tepper school of business, Pittsburgh ? or any other part time prgram's.
I have a descent career path, having worked with major I'banks in New York. I'm sure many people have a similar exp, hence not great selling point.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs !

cheers
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 21:16
msingh wrote:
Hello All,
I took my GMAT last week but did not get a good score. My score @500. Should i even think of applying to any part time program, specially schools in New York City viz Stern, or Tepper school of business, Pittsburgh ? or any other part time prgram's.
I have a descent career path, having worked with major I'banks in New York. I'm sure many people have a similar exp, hence not great selling point.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs !

cheers

Hi msingh, I am not sure if you'll be able to get into elite schools like Stern and Tepper, but again it all depends on your story. If you are really serious about getting into stern then my recommendation would be give GMAT another try. No offense, but if you look here - http://www.gmatcat.com/Percentiles.html you will notice that people who scored 500 fall at the 38th percentile - which is below average, maybe you didn't spend enough time, but keep that as an option - i.e retaking the GMAT.

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2009, 21:40
Thanks for your post !

Yes, i agreee to your ponit that my gmat score is too low(below avg) and i do plan to take one soon. However, i wanted to take people's openion on the same.

Once again, Thank you for your inputs !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 10:30
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 10:35
I would recommend retaking it to improve your chances of admission, given that Stern and Tepper are both competitive programs.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 11:11
Applying with a 500 will make your job unnecessarily difficult. I've listed the Median GMAT scores for each of your target schools below.

NYU (Stern) Part-Time: 680 [middle 80%: 620-730]
CMU (Tepper) Part-Time: 630 [middle 80%: 570-740]

At the very least, you need to shoot for a score that's within the middle 80%, but you'd be best served with a score that's above the median.

Good Luck

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2009, 17:21
You could always apply..with the intention or re-applying with a better score...if that works in your MBA time frame...a
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 10:21
You'd better make your score at least 640-650 is u wanna get into a normal place.

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 20

Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ? [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 18:58
Avernusaur wrote:
Applying with a 500 will make your job unnecessarily difficult. I've listed the Median GMAT scores for each of your target schools below.

NYU (Stern) Part-Time: 680 [middle 80%: 620-730]
CMU (Tepper) Part-Time: 630 [middle 80%: 570-740]

At the very least, you need to shoot for a score that's within the middle 80%, but you'd be best served with a score that's above the median.

Good Luck

Why is it that the middle 80% for Stern full time is 680-760? Is it more difficult to get into the full time program? Thanks.
Re: Low GMAT score but descent work exp - Should i apply ?   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2009, 18:58