Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

low GMAT - still chances at top B-schools??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

low GMAT - still chances at top B-schools?? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 07:18
hi there....
i just took the GMAT and got a 650...very disappointing!!!
do i still have chances at top business schools like stanford, columbia and harvard??
i am german, 25, have a good story to tell (lived and worked for 3 years in asia starting up my own company), speak 4 languages fluently, ...
just my GMAT is a bit low.....
someone once told me that with 640+ you would play in the league of the big ones, so that my 650 still would give me the chance to be accepted at those big ones??!!
is my nationality an advantage or disadvantage?
please let me know!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 17:11
Nationality isn't really a plus or a minus. The 4 languages is a slight plus. With a 650 you'll have a tough time getting into those schools. Is that the first time you took the GMAT?

If it is the first time, I'd recommend giving it another go. It is possible to get into those schools with a 650, but given the fact that less than 10% of applicants who are accepted to those schools have less than a 660, you chances wouldn't be good.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 20:32
hi,
it was the first time i took the GMAT and i will definately have another go.
I was afraid to hear that a 650 is probably not enough!!!
but isnt it the fact that mostly engeneers (wich make up for a large part of an intake) score so high (730+) and that for applicants in other areas, such as business development a lower score is already good??

thaks for your reply!!!
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2005, 17:29
While engineers probably do score better than the average GMAT test-taker, admissions committees don't really give a "pass" to non-engineers with regard to the test. The test is supposed to be a proxy (albeit in inexact one) of one's ability to perform in the classroom. The expectation is that everyone who is admitted has the capacity to perform well. Given that expectation, it's just as important for liberal arts majors (and other non-engineers) to perform well on the exam to prove that they can hack it. In some respects it's even more important because engineers might have other avenues through which they can prove that they have the analytical chops.

Bottom line, 650 probably won't hack it. If 90% of admits to those schools have above that score and we know that the majority of that 90% are non-engineers I think you get to your answer.

http://www.mbagameplan.com