Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Low GPA! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:05
Please help! I have a low GPA but I am about 4-5 years into my career and I really would like an opportunity to take the next step by obtaining an MBA program from a top university. I am unsure how my Low GPA impacts even my chances before I start my application process or if I should consider going back to undergraduate studies before I even consider applying to business school?

Undergraduate Degree:
BA Economics (Specialized in Financial Economics) - Top 30 Private University
GPA 2.4 (No real story behind it, first time away from home and had a hard time adjusting...but mostly because I was lazy)

GMAT:
On my practice exams I have been getting between the 740-780 range, I hope to take the exam in the following month and apply for the spring semester

Professional:
- 2 Years Start Up company, promoted to Overseas Marketing Manager as well as headed as Commercial Manager for the companies high risk, 5 million - 100 million dollar value projects
- 1 Year Recruited/Headhunted by a Vice President at Samsung, key role in their first project in the United States
- Current (Several Months at this point) Recruited/Headhunted by Jacobs Engineering to be the project contract lead on a major Exxon Mobil project

Desired MBA:

Most Desired: HBS, Columbia, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford
Desired: Duke, Stern, Haas, CMU, UCLA,
I HOPE I GET INTO THESE: Indiana, UT-Austin, Rice, Marshall, LSU

MBA Reasons:

While I have experience in oil & gas/engineering, I do have a goal of getting into consulting, specifically the top companies (Mckinsey, Bain, BCG, etc) or moving into business development for a major Oil and Gas company (Chevron, Shell, etc). I would also like to tie in a dual masters degree (Engineering) to solidify my technical qualifications and add to my professional credibility. Finally, I have a start up company I have been developing with a few partners and would like to use the relatively flexible schedule that business school would offer me to really get it off the ground!

What do you think my chances are, and more importantly what can I do to improve my chances???
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Low GPA! [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 10:22
Hello,

I'm in a very similar situation so I hope that I relay back some of the advice given to me.

Applications are judged as a whole so there's never going to be one thing that makes or breaks you, although I'm sure some will argue that the Most Elite schools will ding you automatically for having a low GPA. For the purposes of helping answer your question and giving you an actionable plan, you want to focus on addressing your academic profile by taking additional courses (building an "alternative transcript"), be able to communicate your career progress in your resume, essays, and interviews, illustrate a good fit through your extracurricular activities, and make a compelling argument why you need an MBA... and why now.

Having seen so many people in our position, I think many would agree that you can have a shot at #10-30 if you perfectly execute the rest of your application. I see that this is your first post. I would really plow through the "Ask MBA Admissions Consultants" threads because it'll give you much more information and help map out what you need to do.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Re: Low GPA!   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2012, 10:22