Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 17:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA - Disclose ADHD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cambridge
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low GPA - Disclose ADHD [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 08:22
I graduated from undergrad in 2007 with around a 2.7 GPA. I very much would like to attend a top-10 MBA Program, if at all possible. Would it be worth mentioning that I recently discovered that I have ADHD, which is a substantial reason for my poor grades? My hesitancy is that if I include an addendum about ADHD, I don't want my application to be labeled as "another underachiever who is trying to explain away their grades using ADHD."

When I discovered I had ADHD my last year of undergrad, I was able to earn a 3.7 GPA for that year. Furthermore, I will be graduating from law school (top-40 school) cum laude this semester; I was able to pull cum laude even though I was working full-time throughout school and co-founded a company that has raised $2MM in venture capital. These facts demonstrate great improvement, much of which is due to symptom management.

Lastly, I do have a "fall-back" - I was a two-sport varsity athlete (Track and Football) at a major D-1 university. My thought is that if ADHD should not be mentioned, at least I can say I used to be a dumb jock; good or bad idea?
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 559 [0], given: 30

Re: Low GPA - Disclose ADHD [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 09:01
Expert's post
It's a very good question. On the one hand, it is certainly something which can explain things well, on the other hand, my feeling is that sometimes the reaction may be a bit of eye-rolling. I do like however your story about how things changed once you discovered (I assume you mean you began to take medication or perhaps taking some other action), and I think that if you weave that narrative, it may be a good idea to go ahead and write that. Just be wary of "making excuses" and even if you DO have a good reason, it's always a good idea to be courageous and take the blame fully upon your shoulders. (As well as proving your amazing potential for intellectual and academic success through other ways)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!