Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

low GPA for MBA? What to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
low GPA for MBA? What to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 09:57
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get some suggestions on what I should do before R1 applications coming up. I am not looking to get into any top tier programs (I'm a realist). My target school is University of Utah (just because it's close, and familiar, and seems to be a decent program). I would love to get into UNC, or similar programs, but I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell.

Background:

-BS Mech Eng, with minor in Math from Univeristy of Utah (2.9 GPA)
-Various accomplishments related to Mechatronics/Design competitions, etc.
-3 years work experience at a Pathology Lab (summers only, during school) with increasing responsibility and 2 promotions
-After graduating I landed a job with a very respected Medical Device Manufacturer as an engineer and have been working here for 2+ years. (By the time this fall rolls around and I submit my application it will be around 3 years)
-I will have excellent recommendations from my current managers
-I am currently enrolled in a GMAT review course, and should score ~600-650 according to my practice tests

Assuming I get a 650, do you think that will offset my low GPA? To me, it seems like I should be given consideration of the low GPA because of the undergraduate in Engineering and Math. I feel like if I had chosen a BA in Art History it would have been much higher...

If I were to take some courses in finance/management and built an alternate transcript with A's, do you think I would have a chance at UNC or other schools like UNC?

Thanks for your help, I am eager to read the responses!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: low GPA for MBA? What to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 10:38
bskoumal wrote:
Assuming I get a 650, do you think that will offset my low GPA? To me, it seems like I should be given consideration of the low GPA because of the undergraduate in Engineering and Math. I feel like if I had chosen a BA in Art History it would have been much higher...

If I were to take some courses in finance/management and built an alternate transcript with A's, do you think I would have a chance at UNC or other schools like UNC?

I was in a similar position to you - 3.09 in Mechanical Engineering. Yes, adcoms realize the rigor of the major and the quantitative nature. Unfortunately, it's the freaks of nature who were able to get a 3.5+ in Mechanical Engineering that make us look bad. An alternative transcript is typically useful for candidates without a lot of math in their background. Yes your grades are low, but any adcom should be able to see that you took more math-heavy classes your freshman year than some people do in four years of college.

If I were you, I would gun for a 680+ on the GMAT. Take it three times if you have to. This is really going to depend on how much you want to get into a school like UNC. It took me 3 tries to break a 700, but it was worth it.

In short I would recommend this as a priority list:

1) Beat the hell out of the GMAT
2) Alternative transcript

Don't sell yourself short - yes, Utah is close to where you live, but you only get to do an MBA once...let's make sure you get everything out of it that you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: low GPA for MBA? What to do? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 23:51
Hi,

An avg. profile and low GMAT/GPA can certainly be offset by submitting strong application essays and working hard on the interviews. :-D To convert your chances of application to admission you need to position well in your application essays and showcase team headship & achievements at work place during final interviews. You can try your chances in b-schools by clicking http://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha

bskoumal wrote:
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to get some suggestions on what I should do before R1 applications coming up. I am not looking to get into any top tier programs (I'm a realist). My target school is University of Utah (just because it's close, and familiar, and seems to be a decent program). I would love to get into UNC, or similar programs, but I don't think I have a snowball's chance in hell.

Background:

-BS Mech Eng, with minor in Math from Univeristy of Utah (2.9 GPA)
-Various accomplishments related to Mechatronics/Design competitions, etc.
-3 years work experience at a Pathology Lab (summers only, during school) with increasing responsibility and 2 promotions
-After graduating I landed a job with a very respected Medical Device Manufacturer as an engineer and have been working here for 2+ years. (By the time this fall rolls around and I submit my application it will be around 3 years)
-I will have excellent recommendations from my current managers
-I am currently enrolled in a GMAT review course, and should score ~600-650 according to my practice tests

Thanks for your help, I am eager to read the responses!

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: low GPA for MBA? What to do? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 14:58
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the input.

I will focus my time on scoring high for the GMAT, and try to get registered for some courses this summer. That is going to be the only semester that I will be able to get my grades back in time for R1 applications.

What types of classes should I be looking at? Econ/Business/Marketing/Management? Are any of these better than the other?

Also, does it matter where I take the classes from? In other words, should I try to re-register at the UofU to try to take classes for credit (letter grade)? I'm not even sure how that process works since I already graduated 3 years ago. Or should I just look to SLCC (community college) because the course material will be easier, I could probably take more classes and get better grades. But I don't want to do this if it's looked down on that I am settling for SLCC. It seems that either way I am taking the initiative and money to go out of my way to show I have legitimate interest in business and that I am equipped academically.

Thank you guys for your responses, they have been very helpful.
Re: low GPA for MBA? What to do?   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2013, 14:58