Joined: 19 Jul 2012
, given: 0
LOW GPA (How are online degrees viewed??) [#permalink]
07 Aug 2012, 08:28
Please help! I have a low GPA but I am about 4-5 years into my career and I really would like an opportunity to take the next step by obtaining an MBA program from a top university. I am unsure how my Low GPA impacts even my chances before I start my application process or if I should consider going back to undergraduate studies before I even consider applying to business school. I am currently looking into online programs at different universities for possibly a post bacc degree (BS in computer science/engineering from a brick & mortar school with online programs i.e. Oregon State Uni/University of Illinois) as well as masters opportunities. Unfortunately, the Universities close to my location (Baton Rouge) do not offer part-time/night/weekend masters or bachelors options, so online might be the only feasible opportunity. However, I might consider looking at different options if business schools do not look at online degrees with much respect.
BA Economics (Specialized in Financial Economics) - US News Top 30 University
GPA 2.4 (No real story behind it, first time away from home and had a hard time adjusting)
On my practice exams I have been getting between the 720-780 range, I hope to take the exam in the following month and apply for the spring semester
- 2 Years Shipping company, promoted to Overseas Marketing Manager as well as headed as Commercial Manager for the company's high risk, 5 million - 100 million dollar value projects.
- 1 Year Recruited/Headhunted by a Vice President at Samsung, key role in their first project in the United States
- Current (Several Months at this point) Recruited/Headhunted by Jacobs Engineering to be the project contract lead on a major Exxon Mobil project
- President of my Fraternity for 1 year and executive board for 3 years
- Executive board for a Cultural Organization
- Board member for the Greek Counsel
- Volunteered for several English Camps in South Korea for underprivileged elementary school students.
- Currently involved in two start-up companies, one as an adviser and other as the co-founder/coo
Most Desired: HBS, Columbia, Kellogg, Sloan, Stanford, Booth
Desired: Duke, Stern, Haas, CMU, UCLA,
Schools I would be willing to go to: Indiana, UT-Austin, Rice, Marshall, LSU, Michigan
While I have experience in oil & gas/engineering, I do have a goal of getting into consulting, specifically the top companies (Mckinsey, Bain, BCG, etc) or moving into business development for a major Oil and Gas company (Chevron, Shell, etc). My final goal is to leverage my early experience in market entry, international business and cross-cultural business to be a country manager/country executive for a major American company in a Korean office or vice versa. Academically I would also like to tie in a dual masters degree (Engineering) to solidify my technical qualifications and add to my professional credibility assuming that I do not get an additional degree prior to b-school.
What do you think my chances are, and more importantly what can I do to improve my chances???