Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

low GPA - how higher my gmat score should be?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

low GPA - how higher my gmat score should be? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 23:05
hey,

i wonder how high your gmat score has to be in order to offset a low gpa (closer to 2.5 than 3). one program i'm interested in, Foster evening mba (uw seattle), the average gmat score & gpa of 2011 imcoming class is 630 & 3.45 respectively. i took my first gmat last dec. 2011 and got 660 (q=46, v=35, awa=5.5).

do you think that my gmat isn't high enough to address my low gpa? i didn't do well on my first gmat (i screwed up during quant section; i didn't have time to do 8 more questions... -_-;; this screwed my verb section too...) i don't know if +30 on gmat score would be sufficient to convince the adcom that i am a mba student material. considering how i screwed up my first gmat (need to take more practice exams!!!), i'm confident that i can get a score near 700 (according to several practice exams).

but it's already end of january and i wonder if it would be wiser to spend my time on writing essays & getting recommendations than preparing for gmat?

UW-Madison microbiology major
WE= ~7 yrs (at both non-profit biotech research & for-profit medical-device company)
EC= not excellent but i think i have enough
Goal: will stay in biotech but still want to explore (that's why mba is attractive, right?)
Looking for part-time programs near seattle so either foster or albers
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 249

GMAT Tests User
Re: low GPA - how higher my gmat score should be? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 06:29
I think you're going to be fine. Like you, I have a GPA under the median for the programs I'm targeting. The leverage we both have is a long stretch of work experience. If you can show a pattern of success at work, which signals a change in work ethic or perspective from your undergrad days, then you're in the best shape you can be.

It's a little late now to build up an alternative transcript, but if things don't go well for you, that's one route to pursue. Ultimately, part-time programs are not as competitive as the full-time programs, so I think your GMAT is already excellent for your goals. Agree that you should focus on the rest of your application.

Best of luck!

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: low GPA - how higher my gmat score should be?   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2012, 06:29