Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA - Please evaluate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low GPA - Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2010, 03:47
Hi Alex

Please evaluate:

28 year old asian-american male
GPA: 2.3 comp sci at an Ivy League school - upward trend to close out undergraduate career.
GMAT: 680 (Q: 48, V: 35)

Took two evening classes at Baruch College and got an A in both Accounting and Finance
Currently taking MBAmath.com

Work Experience:

2 years as a software tester (gradually taking on more responsibilities) for a software company.
1 year as an account manager for a different startup software company
Was laid off due to high turnover. Took time off career from 2007 - 2008. I traveled around the world on and off. I also volunteered as a GED Math tutor during that time. Also studied for the GMATs.
After that, I joined a startup software company as a consultant. I've done really well there, especially since my duties ranged from software testing to optimizing and managing the overall client services of the company.
Right now, I'm currently a business analyst for a major retailer focusing on their ecommerce site.

As for leadership skills, I feel my best story come from my time at the start up company (having to step in to turn around the disappointing performance of client services to fix the past errors and to make the whole process more efficient). I can also use the example of helping my sis and my mom go through the entire ordeal of buying an apt by stepping in and managing the entire ordeal (pushing them to do the massive amounts of paper work to dealing directly with the bank and the real estate agent). My other leadership story would come from my time tutoring, where I came up with a nice way to convince my student that algebra isn't as hard as she was fearing.

I'm looking at UNC, Duke, Texas, Georgetown, NYU, michigan, emory, baruch, fordham, thunderbird. I'm starting to finalize which schools i'm applying to.

I realize that my low GPA is a major hinderance, but I've done what I can to address it in the coming years.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Low GPA - Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:18
From your profile, I think you're competitive enough that you can focus on the first six schools on your list -- UNC, Duke, Texas, Georgetown, NYU, and Michigan. You have a reasonable shot of getting into at least one of them assuming you put in strong written applications for all of them.

GPA is an issue, but not as huge an issue as it would be for law or med school.

In any case, the best way to balance out that GPA is to either re-take the GMAT and score at last 700+ (or ideally 740+ if you can), and take 1-2 courses in something quant like stats, calculus, algebra, etc. at a local community college or online extension course that many universities offer (and the courses don't have to be hardcore upper-level classes; they can be 100-level freshman courses).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Low GPA - Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 20:13
I forgot to add that I have taken Accounting and Finance at Baruch college and got A in both classes. Do you think this is enough or should I take extra classes?

Thanks for the feedback.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Low GPA - Please evaluate [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 07:19
If that's the case, then you should be fine. Just focus on the written applications.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Low GPA - Please evaluate   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2010, 07:19