Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 12:02
Hi,

I graduated from Texas Christian University (TCU) in May 2009 with a BBA in finance and entrepreneurial management. I graduated with a 2.75 GPA. There is no specific reason for my low GPA. I would say i was not mature enough and i didnt even know i wanted an MBA. Also, english is not my native languague.

After graduating I returned to Panama, my home country, where I started my banking career as a portfolio manager who overseas a fixed income mutual fund with AUM of more than US$275MM. By the time i want to start the MBA (fall 13), i will have 4 years of full time work experience I also enrolled in Law School at ULACIT and I´m expected to graduate in April 2013 with a degree in Law and Political Science (Current GPA: 3.5). Even though this is considered an undergraduate degree in my country, it would be the equivalent of an American JD degree. I am also involved in several organizations suchs as Junior Achivement, where i have been an advisor for the last 3 years.

Additionally i can mention that I am a certified real estate and stock broker / analyst in the Republic of Panama.

I haven´t taken the GMAT yet, but in the practice tests ive taken, i always score around 650. With this score and my profile, can someone please tell me if i have a chance to attend a good MBA?

Dream Schools: NYU, University of Virginia, Notre Dame. Do i have a chance to a better program?
Desired Schools: Babson College, Bentley University, American University.
Suggestions: i need suggestions. should i apply to a particular school with this profile?

Desired concentrations: entrepreneurship, finance, general management.
Desired career change: go into the "corporate" world (non-financial)

Please find attached my resume for more clarification on my "extracurricular" activies so you can asses the situation.

Thank you for your help!!
Attachments

CV_help.doc [53.5 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 13:22
Expert's post
You have some interesting profile attributes and even though your academics and GMAT are low for top schools, I think your targets are realistic, especially if you apply across the spectrum. You will need to tighten up your post MBA vision and speak to how your cultural diversity offers a unique perspective. Panama would be considered an under-represented country in most if not all b-schools, so you should leverage this to your advantage. I would say targeting a couple more schools in the 10-25 range would be a good idea, based on where you think you would like to go to school. HB1Visa status will help if you have that.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 13:53
Bryant,

Thank you for your response!!!
Intern
Intern

Re: LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 09:33
Good afternoon Bryant

I had a couple of questions.

1. Does my transcript from law school represent (for the AdCom) an "alternative" transcript? Are they going to take the GPA from that degree or the one from TCU?
2. Do you recommend any specific schools in the top 25 list that i should apply to? Or do you think i have a better chance to get accepted at a particular school?

Thank you!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW GPA - PROFILE EVALUATION NEEDED !! PLEASE!! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 11:17
Expert's post
They will take and also consider all your transcripts--it all gets figured in. I think your target schools are fine. The key is going somewhere that you think you will fit in with the culture, curriculum and environment of the school. Best way to get a feel for that is to visit, which may not be practical in your case. You might also look at Duke, UNC, Rice, and McDonough at Georgetown.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews