Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low GPA Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Economics
GPA: 2.4
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Low GPA Question [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 16:54
I am currently a senior majoring in accounting. I have earned a 3.5 in accounting; however, because of my first two years in undergrad I currently have a 2.4 overall GPA. I will graduate in May of 2013.

Luckily, I have been working in the accounting field for two years also I have been a certified paralegal for two years. I will be sitting for the first section of my CPA exam in November, hoping to be completed with all parts and licensed by June of 2013.

I have taken several practice GMAT exams with an average score in the mid-high 600s. I would like to go to a top 25 MBA program; however, I am not sure if my low overall GPA will hinder my chances. If I have a legitimate shot of getting accepted to a top school I will invest in a GMAT study program to boost my score into the 700s.

I would get accepted into a local university program as I stand now. Ideally, I would like to attend a top school.

I am also considering taking another two semesters to earn my finance degree. (I love finance & would like a job in advisory)

Can you please advise me on my chances with the low GPA but with a CPA designation, high GMAT score and work experience to compliment it.

Thanks,
jpsilvey
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low GPA Question [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 17:15
Expert's post
Hello,

A low GPA is not impossible to overcome, but is not easy. Coupled with a 600 range GMAT, your chances at a top 25 become much lower, as you are already aware. The CPA will help, but not suffice. If you can score 700+, you might have a shot, but only if the other dimensions of your profile are stellar/stand out.

I'm a little confused by your work experience - do you mean to say that you've been working part-time while in undergrad as an accountant? It's unclear to me. Either way, the trouble with accounting work is that it's generally very individual/isolated in nature - you likely aren't working on a team on a day to day basis or leading group projects. I think it'll be difficult to showcase leadership through your professional experience. The same goes for your paralegal experience.

Finally, they'll also take a look at your community and extracurricular activities and leadership. I didn't see any mentioned, so if you don't have any, this will be a big gap in your profile as well...

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but hopefully it gives you a better sense for your next steps. I would say strive for that 700, take a couple years to build up your professional, extracurricular and community leadership profile, and then apply to top programs. Otherwise, if you prefer to apply now, I might advise you to reset your expectations to aim slightly lower at schools like University of Washington, Georgetown, Emory, etc. If you do get that 700+, you can aim slightly higher.

Hope this helps!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter