Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOW GPA: What you can do

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 12:43
Do b-schools take a look at Post-Graduate GPA's in addition to UG GPA's? I had a 3.0 GPA in UG from a top-5 school in Canada, which was mostly because I opted for essay courses wherever possible to build transferable skills. Essay courses are marked much harder than multiple-choice courses, with all of my professors stating that any essay receiving over 80% was worthy of being published in their eyes.

However, I did a 1-year Post-Graduate marketing course at a community college and maintained a 3.7 (it might be worth mentioning that my WE is all in marketing, and I'm going to be applying specifically for marketing).

Would this help the adcomm's in overlooking my 3.0?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [1] , given: 64

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tanveerwithyou wrote:
What about credit courses offered by Coursera in Calculas [only 5 subjects available(newly introduced)] and credit course of 'Berkely Hass Extended online' offering grades (Very costly 800$ per subject).
In case of Berkely if it is ok to join the online credit course, is it advisable to join graduate courses or certification courses or undergrad courses to prove about your competency inspite of low undergrad GPA (all offer credit and grades)?
Since I am not an US resident ,here, community college system is not prevalent.

If the online course is the best or only option, then take it. It may not be optimal, but it still shows that you are attempting to get ready for b-school and improve your quant skills. Obviously you want to do well in it or it won't mitigate the low GPA from college. It will just reinforce the impression made by your transcript.

If, however, you have a low GPA and a choice between taking an online course and a traditional graded course, then go with the traditional graded because that is most like what you will be doing.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
CW32 wrote:
Do b-schools take a look at Post-Graduate GPA's in addition to UG GPA's? I had a 3.0 GPA in UG from a top-5 school in Canada, which was mostly because I opted for essay courses wherever possible to build transferable skills. Essay courses are marked much harder than multiple-choice courses, with all of my professors stating that any essay receiving over 80% was worthy of being published in their eyes.

However, I did a 1-year Post-Graduate marketing course at a community college and maintained a 3.7 (it might be worth mentioning that my WE is all in marketing, and I'm going to be applying specifically for marketing).

Would this help the adcomm's in overlooking my 3.0?

The admissions committee will not overlook your undergraduate GPA from a top school, but they will notice that you got a 3.7 in your post-college classes. They will also realize that you did so presumably while working full-time. And they will also realize that most community college classes are not as demanding as classes at a top 5 school. So that market course will probably mitigate, but it won't erase. A competitive GMAT will also help.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 15:20
Thanx....But what about the level of course to take? Undergrad level courses or Grad level?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 04:17
Here are my AUD$0.02…

Why on earth does your GPA count towards anything for your mba application? Take me for example. My undergrad marks are pretty crappy…that’s because I was chasing girls, getting drunk and taking drugs every night. This was 6-7 years ago. So what…I was 18-22 and doing what an 18-22 year old does!

Now does a b school think that I’m going to have the same attitude when it comes to my MBA? Given that I’m forking out $100k plus forgoing my lost income while I study? I don’t get it!

Also, building an alternative transcript by taking extra courses, subjects that you’ll learn in your mba, in the hope to score high marks and show adcom you’re not dumb…might be the most loser-ish thing to do! Go spend your time, money and effort and gain some life experiences and build yourself personally. That way you’ll at least have some compelling essays to write!

Feel free to give me another warning with no explanation if you don’t like this post! :twisted:

Assman out!
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 690

Kudos [?]: 3031 [3] , given: 890

LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Assman wrote:
Here are my AUD$0.02…

Why on earth does your GPA count towards anything for your mba application? Take me for example. My undergrad marks are pretty crappy…that’s because I was chasing girls, getting drunk and taking drugs every night. This was 6-7 years ago. So what…I was 18-22 and doing what an 18-22 year old does!

Now does a b school think that I’m going to have the same attitude when it comes to my MBA? Given that I’m forking out $100k plus forgoing my lost income while I study? I don’t get it!

Also, building an alternative transcript by taking extra courses, subjects that you’ll learn in your mba, in the hope to score high marks and show adcom you’re not dumb…might be the most loser-ish thing to do! Go spend your time, money and effort and gain some life experiences and build yourself personally. That way you’ll at least have some compelling essays to write!

Feel free to give me another warning with no explanation if you don’t like this post! :twisted:

Assman out!

Quote:

Chasing girls, getting drunk and taking drugs every night is not what every 18-22 year old does.
Your undergrad score has less importance as you get older. Undergrad scores for a 30 year old applying to business school will probably not have the same importance as for a 24 year old. The average age at HBS is 24-25. Would you discount the undergrad experience then? Because it is only 2 years out.

Quote:
Also, building an alternative transcript by taking extra courses, subjects that you’ll learn in your mba, in the hope to score high marks and show adcom you’re not dumb…might be the most loser-ish thing to do! Go spend your time, money and effort and gain some life experiences and build yourself personally. That way you’ll at least have some compelling essays to write

"Loser-ish" is quite a perspective thing, don't you think? Nobody thinks taking alternative courses and getting life experiences are mutually exclusive. If you have traditionally scored low in quant courses and your GMAT quant is not that great, taking few quant courses will probably help in dispensing the doubts in the adcom's mind about your analytical abilities. Also taking alternative courses which are exactly the same as things that you are going to learn in your B School may seem counter productive but it may be a pretty cool thing to do if you have the time. I hear B School is extremely engaging in general. It does not harm to have the basics in place.

Quote:

Sure, when necessary. Thanks for being so compliant :-)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 20:06
Do schools care what classes you have taken?

For example, in my case, I took mostly advanced 400-level math courses throughout my senior year in college and this resulted to subpar gpa.

Looking at my transcript, would the adcom give me a pass for taking more challenging courses, instead of per say gpa booster courses?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 22:32
Expert's post
notadmin23 wrote:
Do schools care what classes you have taken?

For example, in my case, I took mostly advanced 400-level math courses throughout my senior year in college and this resulted to subpar gpa.

Looking at my transcript, would the adcom give me a pass for taking more challenging courses, instead of per say gpa booster courses?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yes. they care what classes you took, but they don't expect you to take classes that you shouldnn't have taken because they were too hard or you didn't have appropriate pre-reqs. Nonetheless they will consider the rigor of your curriculum.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tanveerwithyou wrote:
Thanx....But what about the level of course to take? Undergrad level courses or Grad level?

That depends. What's the purpose of your taking the classes? How you did in your previous classes? And if you have the pre-reqs for graduate classes. If you are taking classes to prepare for business school and create an alternative transcript because you don't have a background in business, you can take undergrad classes.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 11:52
Hmm.....Thanx every1 for ur replies...Makes me more clear on what I need to do.... Being from a different country doesn't help...In India the whole grading system is completely different and having lowish GPA on a different scale made me wonder how will the adcom view my app... So, if an international transcript can make my position more clearer to them so be it.... :)
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 15:40
Expert's post
tanveerwithyou wrote:
Hmm.....Thanx every1 for ur replies...Makes me more clear on what I need to do.... Being from a different country doesn't help...In India the whole grading system is completely different and having lowish GPA on a different scale made me wonder how will the adcom view my app... So, if an international transcript can make my position more clearer to them so be it.... :)

You're welcome. You may find this resource helpful: http://reports.accepted.com/against_the ... applicants .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 129

Premium Member
Re: LOW GPA: What you can do [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2014, 12:55
First off, I just want to say that souvik101990 is awesome and I agree with everything he has to say. However, I would like to share my personal (negative) experience on having a low-ish undergrad GPA.

In terms of numbers, I have a 3.2 GPA STEM undergrad. I'm over 30, so my undergraduate record is well over 10 years old. I also have 45 credits (50% more than what is needed for a masters degree) of graduate coursework with a 3.8 GPA, also STEM. And lastly, I have a 740 GMAT.

Largely, I feel that if you don't fall within the 80% range of a class profile (whether it's GPA or GMAT), you'll have a hard time getting in, unless there's something else outstanding about your profile. I was rejected by a top 20 school (haha okay, more than one) and they specifically told me it was due to my undergraduate GPA. To even quote an admissions officer: "I know it’s frustrating because you can’t go back in time and change your undergraduate record."

I encourage future applicants to aim for schools where you do fall within the 80% of the class profile. Schools such as Cornell and Duke have lower incoming GPA than other schools of similar caliber, if I recall correctly. (Be aware that the chart on the first post of this thread is outdated). If you have a lower GPA (or GMAT), the schools will need to report a lower 80% range, so make sure you have something extra special about yourself to compensate for being in the bottom 10%.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Re: LOW GPA: What you can do   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2014, 12:55