Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOW IR score - reason for retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

LOW IR score - reason for retake [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 05:02
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I have taken my GMAT and got my official scores today.
660( v 35, q 47), AWA -5.5 and IR -3(25%)

I was planning to apply to schools likes Smeal, Univ of Maryland, Fox school of business among others.Even though my overall score is average, it falls in the averages for these schools. As you can tell, my IR score is another story.

I have been reading forums on how IR will not be important for 1-2 yrs. But I dont want to lose out based on this section's score.

Can someone advice whether I need to retake my exam or if I can apply using the above scores.

I have 5 yrs experience working as a support analyst in brokerage operations services and have worked in India, UK and US. Nothing special with regard to my profile.

Thanks in advance
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 692 [1] , given: 6

Re: LOW IR score - reason for retake [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sameer,
It's going to depend on when you apply. If you are planning to apply in the next year, i wouldn't worry about it too much. You have the benefit of being one of the "early-birds" for this new exam and so bschools don't have a lot of data points for this IR score. However, if you are going to apply starting 2-3 years from now, you might want to reconsider IF you have the time for it. If there are no other areas of your profile that can be improved (greater work experience, essays, etc), then you can look at the GMAT for improvement. You still have some room for improvement in verbal - so it's a possible gamble. But don't do it unless you really prepare because your score can also go down.

So it's not really necessary, but in a few years if you have the time to dedicate to studying it could be an option for you to improve your candidacy.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LOW IR score - reason for retake [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 04:59
dgneeharika wrote:
Hi,

I have taken my GMAT and got my official scores today.
660( v 35, q 47), AWA -5.5 and IR -3(25%)

I was planning to apply to schools likes Smeal, Univ of Maryland, Fox school of business among others.Even though my overall score is average, it falls in the averages for these schools. As you can tell, my IR score is another story.

I have been reading forums on how IR will not be important for 1-2 yrs. But I dont want to lose out based on this section's score.

Can someone advice whether I need to retake my exam or if I can apply using the above scores.

I have 5 yrs experience working as a support analyst in brokerage operations services and have worked in India, UK and US. Nothing special with regard to my profile.

Thanks in advance

I am on the same boat. I got a 640 in GMAT ( Q:47 ; V: 30 ; AWA : 5.5 ) . Now here is the the part where I goofed up. I got 1 on IR ( thats a 0 Percentile!). I am really not sure how that happened.

Now here is some more information about myself :

1) IT - 4years Exp with an MNC

2) I cant go above 650 in GMAT, that's pretty much what I can get ( Not sounding pessimistic here, Its just that I realize my strengths and my weaknesses too very well ) . So even If I retake , I dont think I can improve the GMAT score ( there are chances that I may get lower as well !!)

3) I think my AWA score is decent and there is no necessity for improving that.

So should i retake the GMAT ONLY for the sake of IR ? I keep reading on the internet that the IR is not important atleast for this years admission. And I read the blog where one of the top B school in US ( I think it was stanford, im not very sure) said that it is not going to weigh the IR section.

Any update from the above post ?
Re: LOW IR score - reason for retake   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2012, 04:59