Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low Quant Score... Need Your Guidance!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Low Quant Score... Need Your Guidance! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 06:47
I took my GMAT 2 weeks ago, scoring a 720 (Quant 42 (66%), Verbal 47 (99%)). Now that my excitement about getting a 700+ score has worn off, I am starting to freak out about my low quant score. I read a couple of threads here stating that unless an applicant has a balanced score with both quant and verbal above 80%, applying to schools with heavy emphasis on quant such as Wharton or Chicago is a waste of time. I wanted to hear the opinion of the “seniors” here already accepted to the top 20 b-schools.

A little about myself: I am a female who immigrated to the US in 2000. I started my education in Eastern Europe majoring in Linguistics but moved to the US after 1 year of college. I took classes in a city community college for 2 years, mostly gen-eds as I knew that I would transfer to the Big 10 school my junior year. I majored in Finance while at the university and graduated with the overall GPA of 3.9 out of 4.0. By the nature of my major, I obviously had to take Calculus and Statistics, and I got A’s in both classes. I got A’s in all of my Finance classes as well, including Options and Futures that was very quant-heavy. I’ve held various Finance positions after graduating from college: I worked in Equity Research, Tax Consulting, and Corporate Finance – all somewhat quantitative fields.

Now, I don’t know how to justify my low quant score in GMAT. I don’t want to sound defensive and say that if I had more time, I’d solve it all because other people manage to get the questions right with the same time constraint. Somehow, GMAT quant and the time given to do the questions just never clicked with me. My question is, given my background and work experience, will the admission committee still consider my application weak because of my low quant score? My intention is to concentrate in General Management and/or Marketing the second year of my MBA, so I am not one of the IB and Consulting track applicants.

Thanks for your inputs!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 10:05
Before you get different opinions, here's mine

I met a current Chicago GSB student, who scored 700 - quant was somewhere between 50-60% and verbal was 99%, had no solid work experience and is a white male and is pursuing investment banking as a career.

Considering that you have an interesting background and not over-represented, I think repeating your GMAT will be a waste of resources.

Invest your time on the application essays. You can always show that you have a good quant aptitude through your undergrad/grad performance.
I mean you got 3.9.. thats a very very good GPA. (I wish I had that).

So enjoy your time working on the essays and forget about giving GMAT again.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 10:24
aviroop,

Thanks for your reply. The example that you provided definitely shows that I might be competitive at schools with the quant emphasis after all.
I am not planning to retake the GMAT. Oh, I am SO done with that test!!! :twisted:
I just want to get opinions from GMATclubbers on the "balanced" score issue among the quant-oriented schools, such as Wharton and Chicago. I am trying to narrow down the list of schools I want to apply to, and if I have little chance in getting into Chicago for example, I'd rather direct my efforts to other MBA programs.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 11:25
I've also heard that a balanced score is something they look for but its not a make or break deal for an applicant. Unfortunately, the quant score is looked more closely than the verbal score. However, since you have great grades in quant heavy courses, it'll help your case. For your optional essays, I would address it directly and let them know that you will not fall behind your classmates due to your GMAT quant score and you can prove it by etc etc etc
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 12:35
I honestly don't think you have to address it at all. Its a great score, you have the grades and classes to back it up.

Not everyone can be an engineer with a super computer for a brain. Someone has to talk for them :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 13:00
Don't "address" it explicitly, but just emphasize your A's in finance and quant courses and at work, and you should be fine.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 10:36
Thanks, guys, for your replies.
I'm still on the edge though... so many schools, so little time to choose!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 10:55
tell me about it... I barely have enough time to do all the phone calls and meetings with alums and students from Stanford and Berkeley, I can't imagine when I start doing Kellogg/Chicago/UCLA, how busy I'll be!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 703 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 11:23
kryzak wrote:
tell me about it... I barely have enough time to do all the phone calls and meetings with alums and students from Stanford and Berkeley, I can't imagine when I start doing Kellogg/Chicago/UCLA, how busy I'll be!

I haven't even done that and have no clue how I am going to begin doing that. Coming from a tiny college very very few alums go to any MBA schools let alone the top schools I am aiming at. I had one prof who has a GSB MBA from 1985...and no one I work with has MBAs aside from local part time programs.

As for the quant score question...you aced tough math courses. Make a little statement in the optional essay saying you dont feel the GMAT really reflects your true quant ability and the point out your grades in the high level math. Its not worth the effort of restudying when you should be working on essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2007, 12:01
river, sounds like you're doing better than me on the essay parts ;)

I can help with the schools I'm applying to if you need any, but I don't think we have overlapping schools at all, do we?
  [#permalink] 22 Aug 2007, 12:01