Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low score..should I take it again?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 19:02
Hi,
I took the GMAT twice this year and I got a 460 and 440. How bad will this affect my application, even if I`ll take a higher score on my next testing? I plan on taking a Manhattan instructor led class so my score will hopefully improve significantly.
Any answers are welcomed. I just want to know if I should waste $1600 if my previous 2 scores will hurt me pretty bad.
Many thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
gmat24 wrote:
Hi,
I took the GMAT twice this year and I got a 460 and 440. How bad will this affect my application, even if I`ll take a higher score on my next testing? I plan on taking a Manhattan instructor led class so my score will hopefully improve significantly.
Any answers are welcomed. I just want to know if I should waste $1600 if my previous 2 scores will hurt me pretty bad.
Many thanks!

Hi

I would suggets that you attempt GMAT again with full preperation. It depends from college to college, some colleges accept the latest score while some the average of past scores. So you need to check for the institute you planning to apply

hope this helps.

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2012, 19:38
gmat24 wrote:
Hi,
Many thanks!

What preparation did you use for your first two attempts?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 213

Kudos [?]: 321 [1] , given: 5

Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 19:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Absolutely you should take it again!!! Don't let a low score stand in the way of your dreams of business school. Almost universally, business schools will only take your highest score, so there really is no penalty for retaking the exam (within reason - you don't want to take it 10 times!). We teach people to plan on taking the exam at least twice because score improvement is super common with multiple attempts.

You are not alone - lots of students take the exam multiple times on their own before getting help with their preparation (i.e. taking a course). Just be careful the next time around. Take the exam when you are practicing above your target score. If your practice exams (MGMAT & GMATPrep) are below your target score, push back your test date until you are fully prepared.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 19:47
Thank you all so much. For my first two test I only used the GMAT Review and Kaplan - I studied about 2 months before the 1st test and one before the second - My pretest results were good - maybe I have test day jitters. I thought I was good enought...but the low score really dissapointed me.
I`ll definitily take the GMAT prep classes.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 12:17
gmat24 wrote:
Thank you all so much. For my first two test I only used the GMAT Review and Kaplan - I studied about 2 months before the 1st test and one before the second - My pretest results were good - maybe I have test day jitters. I thought I was good enought...but the low score really dissapointed me.
I`ll definitily take the GMAT prep classes.

I think the class will be good. I am sure they'll talk about content as well as test day anxiety.

This may sound crass, but do you have a learning disability? The GMAC provides accommodations for people with different needs. Most people don't take advantage of this option when they really should. My sister sat for the SATs with extended time and it helped her IMMENSELY. Test anxiety is worse for people like her because the test actually sets them up to fail with the overwhelming anxiety!

Either way, you will need to study everything, so give yourself lots of time and be patient with yourself!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 93

Re: Low score..should I take it again? [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 02:40
i had a similar experience on my GMAT a few days back. I found i was not able to respond to questions on the screen even though i kept re -reading them again and again. Some sort of a brain freeze. I am usually a calm person, but do get tensed during important event like tests,presentations etc. yet this time i did a lot of self talk,motivated myself enough to still crumble under pressure :(
i am planning a re take soon and my key aim is to get as savvy with the CAT testign format by taking numerous test under standard conditions as this will help me cope with the anxiety that comes along with the actual test conditions.

would like to hear you folks out on this.

thanks!
Re: Low score..should I take it again?   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2012, 02:40