Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low scores have shattered me!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 03:56
Dear fellow members,

I re-took the GMAT last week and have got shattered by the low score that I have got - 540 (Q 38, V 26)! I first took the GMAT in October 2010 and got 510 (Q 42, V 20) so, I decided to work hard to prepare well in order to get a good score. I prepared for about 2 years by stealing as many seconds as I could from my hectic work schedule and social life. The study materials that I referred to are: -
1). MGMAT Study Guides
2). Powerscore CR Bible
3). Books of quantitative from 4GMAT

I have never been a good performer even at the times when I was in school and college; I never crossed the mark of 65% in any subject in any course and in any class. So, my quantitative is weak and since I am not the native speaker, my verbal is obviously weak.

I am a B.E in Information Technology and have an experience in IT sector that is now close to 8 years. I agree to the fact that my experience may complement the low score but not 540. Moreover, there is nothing attractive in my profile that may attract the admissions committee: neither extra curricular activities nor academics nor the quality of experience in job as I am still a coder.

Before my second attempt, I got 620 and 610 in GMAT Prep 1 and 2 respectively. The score predictor of Grockit predicted 640.

After taking GMAT twice, I now feel that I know the concepts but I fail to apply them. I HAVE to know and learn the ways to apply the concepts.

Although shattered, I am ready to take this bull with its horns for the third time. Please help!

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Consider to give me kudos if my post helped you.

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:17
I cannot believe that there is no one on this forum who can provide me with some tips.

1 KUDOS received
McCombs Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 24

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
First things first...you got a bad GMAT score...its past..forget it

Now as you say, that you are an engineer with 8 years of exp. I am amazed how an engineer have bad quants.

Well brush up your quants. Don't just start doing GMAT questions. First study quant from any good CAT study material. you can try TIME/ IMS etc. Finish their BSMs/ BRMs

Then gradually move on to GMAT quants (which is hell lot easier than CAT).

I am an engineer too.

You have not referred to OG for your GMAT preparations it seems, as you have not listed it. So I would advise you to finish the OG as well.
All the GMAT instructors say that OG is the Bible for GMAT. Follow it religiously.

My GMAT debrief

greatness is not about possessing talent but about having the discipline to summon that talent whenever needed!!!

Please Kudos my post if it helped you!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 02:42
Lets form a group and track the performance on daily basis. I am also in the same boat, but i think we can improve.

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 03:27
This post received
KUDOS
I think its a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. MGMAT 8 part guide is sufficient in getting prepared for the exam. I suggest you throw away the other books. Moreover, I do not think that for GMAT you should go through Indian CAT material. Indian CAT requires much more strenuous work for quants than the GMAT does. It is overkill and unnecessary strain on the mind. You end up overthinking when it comes to the actual GMAT.

I would suggest you start preparing using the MGMAT guide from square one. Then when you are confident that you have taken from it all that it has to offer, you can pick up OG12 or better OG13 and try working out the problems given there. You will definitely start by getting several questions wrong. Nothing wrong with that. You will find that as you work out more questions you would be getting better. You can also go through the various threads on this forum which wiuld give you valuable insights. Once you've exhausted the OG, you can start taking the gmatclub CAT tests which I found very useful.

While taking the GMAT CAT tests, I would suggest that you not take it lightly and try to mimic the real GMAT atmosphere as closely as possible. Dedicate one of your entire weekends to preparation. I guess you would be able to take at most 6 GMAT CAT tests in two days. There is a thread by bb showcasing all free tests available online. Take them. If by sunday night you feel prepared and are getting your target scores on these CAT tests, you should schedule your test for as soon as possible. I would suggest Tuesday.

All the best for your preparations and GMAT.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 115

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
jkaustubh wrote:
Now as you say, that you are an engineer with 8 years of exp. I am amazed how an engineer have bad quants.

Thanks Kaustubh! Well, mistakes do happen; I never took studies seriously.

Last edited by Orko on 20 Nov 2012, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 10:29
greatps24 wrote:
Lets form a group and track the performance on daily basis. I am also in the same boat, but i think we can improve.

I am glad that you thought about it. Let us try to materialize it.

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 10:32
MacFauz wrote:
I think its a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. MGMAT 8 part guide is sufficient in getting prepared for the exam. I suggest you throw away the other books. Moreover, I do not think that for GMAT you should go through Indian CAT material. Indian CAT requires much more strenuous work for quants than the GMAT does. It is overkill and unnecessary strain on the mind. You end up overthinking when it comes to the actual GMAT.

I would suggest you start preparing using the MGMAT guide from square one. Then when you are confident that you have taken from it all that it has to offer, you can pick up OG12 or better OG13 and try working out the problems given there. You will definitely start by getting several questions wrong. Nothing wrong with that. You will find that as you work out more questions you would be getting better. You can also go through the various threads on this forum which wiuld give you valuable insights. Once you've exhausted the OG, you can start taking the gmatclub CAT tests which I found very useful.

While taking the GMAT CAT tests, I would suggest that you not take it lightly and try to mimic the real GMAT atmosphere as closely as possible. Dedicate one of your entire weekends to preparation. I guess you would be able to take at most 6 GMAT CAT tests in two days. There is a thread by bb showcasing all free tests available online. Take them. If by sunday night you feel prepared and are getting your target scores on these CAT tests, you should schedule your test for as soon as possible. I would suggest Tuesday.

All the best for your preparations and GMAT.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Thanks MacFauz! Well, I have already gone through the study guides of Manhattan thrice. It may be that I have reached the threshold where I am not getting more from the books than what I have already got. Moreover, I got more than 80% accuracy in all the sections of OG13. To take the GMATClub CAT tests is a good idea.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 75

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 11:17
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the group thread. Lets contribute on thread and motivate each other to achieve our final goal

gmat-in-dec-2012-jan-142777.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Keep at it! You CAN do it!

If you're young, say under 30, then don't stress too much. You have time.

I waited too long. (I'm 42) Now, the GMAT isn't in the cards for me at this time.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 17:25
I think a study group is a great idea! I'd like to be apart of it, if you do end up forming one. I'm going through my MGMAT Quant books now and could use some feedback.

Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 21:34
Hi gasanaenyi

Here is the thread for the group. You can put your comments/ suggestion on the below mentioned link

gmat-in-dec-2012-jan-142777.html

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 13:23
This post received
KUDOS
I would suggest you to relax a bit, maybe take 1-2 week off then think with a fresh mind. Talk to someone in your friend circle who has scored 700. Donot let the past haunt your present and spoil your future. Even if you are bad at maths and never took study seriously still you can study now and improve. Some people work hard early, some late but we all can do it. Faith is the most important thing. Remember many arts graduates in US write GMAT and score well in quants. I would suggest you to make a long term plan for GMAT like 6-8 months with lot of breathing space for social life and work commitments.
Start with quants:
Refer to Total GMAT Math book and 1800 problems(by the same author).
You donot need to solve all but solve some depending on your confidence in that topic. If you still have issues hire any cheap tutor who scored more than 90%ile in Quant.
Then pick SC, study for 1-2 months, followed by CR.
Finally mix all and then give a test. Then plan accordingly if you need focus on any 1 area.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/3-yrs-4-atte ... 72531.html

1 more Q, why only 40 posts on GC in 2 years ?

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 23:01
AbhiJ wrote:
I would suggest you to relax a bit, maybe take 1-2 week off then think with a fresh mind. Talk to someone in your friend circle who has scored 700. Donot let the past haunt your present and spoil your future. Even if you are bad at maths and never took study seriously still you can study now and improve. Some people work hard early, some late but we all can do it. Faith is the most important thing. Remember many arts graduates in US write GMAT and score well in quants. I would suggest you to make a long term plan for GMAT like 6-8 months with lot of breathing space for social life and work commitments.
Start with quants:
Refer to Total GMAT Math book and 1800 problems(by the same author).
You donot need to solve all but solve some depending on your confidence in that topic. If you still have issues hire any cheap tutor who scored more than 90%ile in Quant.
Then pick SC, study for 1-2 months, followed by CR.
Finally mix all and then give a test. Then plan accordingly if you need focus on any 1 area.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/3-yrs-4-atte ... 72531.html

1 more Q, why only 40 posts on GC in 2 years ?

Thanks a lot Abhi for boosting my morale. Well, I have taken the break and have enrolled for GMATPill to restart the things in a fresh manner. I hope that I would be able to hit the nail this time.

I will be honest while answering your question about just 40 posts in 2 years - I initially thought to get as much from the forum as I can without contributing anything. But, I have recently understood that one cannot get anything from anyone and anywhere unless he/she contributes. So, around 95% of the total posts bear the date stamps of last one month.

Once again, thanks a lot!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 23:03
I sincerely thank to all of you for the insights and help that you have provided me with. I am done with the break of a month and am back to studies. I have enrolled for GMATPill so that I may restart my studies in a hopefully better direction.

I will keep you posted about the progress. Thanks a lot!

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 23:04
Defiant1 wrote:
Keep at it! You CAN do it!

If you're young, say under 30, then don't stress too much. You have time.

I waited too long. (I'm 42) Now, the GMAT isn't in the cards for me at this time.

Thanks a lot Defiant! Your words have really helped me to again get on to my feet.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 00:07
HI ObsessedWithGMAT

Great. Do share your progress and gmatpill experience.
I am doing RC from e-gmat (i have enrolled for verbal live course).

BR

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Low scores have shattered me! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
ObsessedWithGMAT wrote:

I will be honest while answering your question about just 40 posts in 2 years - I initially thought to get as much from the forum as I can without contributing anything. But, I have recently understood that one cannot get anything from anyone and anywhere unless he/she contributes. So, around 95% of the total posts bear the date stamps of last one month.

Once again, thanks a lot!

The idea is to replace Facebook with GMAT Club as your daily entertainment :).

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: Low scores have shattered me!   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2012, 09:29