Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hi guys,

I'm no expert here, just figured I'd chime in on my experience. I have a 2.9 GPA and was an econ major. Did sort of mixed in my econ classes, some A-, some Cs. In Calc in college I got a C. So I too figured I'd give this alternative transcript thing a shot. I took two classes because really that is all I had time for. If you have time to do more, that might be good, but I personally don't think you have to go overboard, you'd probably be better served to work on your essays and leadership at work/extracurriculars. Here is what I did:

Principles of Accounting - UC Berkeley Extension online, got an A. - Had never taken accounting in college

Math for Business and Economics - UConn Stamford Campus - I work in Stamford so this was easiest for me, got an A. - Honestly, didn't think I would be able to get an A in a Calculus course, I'm 6 years out of college and didn't want to ruin my summer trying to learn calc (pretty much for the first time since I never understood it in school).

I don't think traditional vs. online matters as long as it is a legit program. I do think taking the classes helped me as my waitlist manager at Kellogg said that they were impressed I took the initiative to help show them my quant skills after having a not good GPA and that was probably what made a lot of the difference between me being on the waitlist vs dinged outright.

Hope that is somewhat helpful, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Awesome info, thanks! I'm looking at a traditional class or two at UCSD and maybe 1 online course through UCLA extension. I have the same reservations about retaking calc as you... it's been a long time and I'm not sure I was ever really a whiz in the first place.

Looks like a "low" gpa didn't hold you back - where are you headed in the fall?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I've been told Calc is the most important - so seems like a good one to retake!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Wait I just noticed, 3.5 GPA? I'm not sure you really need to take any extra courses, unless you don't have a quant background or did poorly on all quant classes in college. But, can't hurt! Looks like you've got some good options around you though.

Still undecided about withdrawing from the Kellogg waitlist, but I've deposited at Columbia so will be heading there next year!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot