Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:26
Hi All,

Looking for some worldly advice from the gmatclub experts!

I have read a ton of threads on building alternative transcripts and low uGPA solutions, and was hoping for a little more focused advice for a guy like myself.

Background:
- Civil Engineering Grad from Top 20 Engineering Public U. 3.04 Cumulative GPA....3.5 in major (Avg GPA over last 3 semesters...3.7)
- Bunch of EC's bot in school and post-grad
- Good WE in Real Estate and Capital Project Construction industry
- Pretty good b-school application theme (or so I think!)
- Looking to go back into Major Construction/Real Estate finance and business after b-school
- GMAT: Taking in March '13, expecting 720ish (hopefully and capable of better)

I consider myself a pretty bright person, but suffered for the same reason of most others early on in school. So I am planning on taking 2 or 3 cont. ed classes to build an alternative transcript prior to my Rd1 apps in 2013. I actually have one under my belt that I took during undergrad.

Completed Alt. Transcript Courses:
- Real Estate Principles - UCLA Extension - A

Quant Undergrad Grades:
- Calc I - C
- Calc II - B
- Microeconomics - A-
- Advanced Stat - B-

All of that being said, I was hoping for some direction to the following questions:

- How many, and what, extra classes should I take?
- Do I need to retake Calc or Stat?
- I was thinking of doing finance/econ/accounting since that is what I am looking to go into after b-school.
- 2 or 3 Classes? More? Less?

- Does the institution matter? Is in-class better than online? I'm in Philadelphia. I could do UCLA Extension, but would Penn State World Campus be better? Is the local community college sufficient? (This matters because of cost and availability of courses)

- I am planning on taking these course as accelerated courses post-March and throughout the Summer to have completed for Rd1 deadlines next year. Is this a feasible endeavor while working full-time?

Thanks for taking the time to response. IT's always appreciated.

Looking forward to the conversation!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.02
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 09:19
BUMP!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 770 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.49
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 13:34
smp - I have many of the same questions as you re: retaking calc, online v. traditional classes, ect...

Not much here of course - did you ever get any answers elsewhere?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 06:11
Hi guys,

I'm no expert here, just figured I'd chime in on my experience. I have a 2.9 GPA and was an econ major. Did sort of mixed in my econ classes, some A-, some Cs. In Calc in college I got a C. So I too figured I'd give this alternative transcript thing a shot. I took two classes because really that is all I had time for. If you have time to do more, that might be good, but I personally don't think you have to go overboard, you'd probably be better served to work on your essays and leadership at work/extracurriculars. Here is what I did:

Principles of Accounting - UC Berkeley Extension online, got an A. - Had never taken accounting in college

Math for Business and Economics - UConn Stamford Campus - I work in Stamford so this was easiest for me, got an A. - Honestly, didn't think I would be able to get an A in a Calculus course, I'm 6 years out of college and didn't want to ruin my summer trying to learn calc (pretty much for the first time since I never understood it in school).

I don't think traditional vs. online matters as long as it is a legit program. I do think taking the classes helped me as my waitlist manager at Kellogg said that they were impressed I took the initiative to help show them my quant skills after having a not good GPA and that was probably what made a lot of the difference between me being on the waitlist vs dinged outright.

Hope that is somewhat helpful, good luck!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 770 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.49
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:29
Awesome info, thanks! I'm looking at a traditional class or two at UCSD and maybe 1 online course through UCLA extension. I have the same reservations about retaking calc as you... it's been a long time and I'm not sure I was ever really a whiz in the first place.

Looks like a "low" gpa didn't hold you back - where are you headed in the fall?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:32
I've been told Calc is the most important - so seems like a good one to retake!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 12:32
Wait I just noticed, 3.5 GPA? I'm not sure you really need to take any extra courses, unless you don't have a quant background or did poorly on all quant classes in college. But, can't hurt! Looks like you've got some good options around you though.

Still undecided about withdrawing from the Kellogg waitlist, but I've deposited at Columbia so will be heading there next year!
Re: LOW Undergrad GPA - Alternative Transcript Advice!   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 12:32