Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
I had a 2.88 undergrad GPA in Engineering, with 2 F's and it took me 6 years to graduate, and then another year and a half to get a job in the engineering field.

I applied to only one school and got in with a scholarship to Emory, and had an extremely successful first year, looking forward to my second.

Sometimes, I think schools are looking for someone who can overcome adversity and failure.

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 16:14
emoryhopeful wrote:
I had a 2.88 undergrad GPA in Engineering, with 2 F's and it took me 6 years to graduate, and then another year and a half to get a job in the engineering field.

I applied to only one school and got in with a scholarship to Emory, and had an extremely successful first year, looking forward to my second.

Sometimes, I think schools are looking for someone who can overcome adversity and failure.

cool! what else beside your GMAT "stood out"? did you have great xtracurricular? I think i am similar to your boar with little bit better GPA but havent taken GMAT yet (although I prob have to get close to your score...)

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Current Student
Schools: Emory class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2009, 11:34
shaselai wrote:

cool! what else beside your GMAT "stood out"? did you have great xtracurricular? I think i am similar to your boar with little bit better GPA but havent taken GMAT yet (although I prob have to get close to your score...)

I don't know if anything else "stood out". I had quality work experience with solid extra curriculars, but nothing crazy. If anything else stood out it was my passion for the school and enthusiasm to make a difference. The GMAT obviously was a big factor.

Member Profile: 111-t56279

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 03:31
inspiring
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 17:28
This post received
KUDOS
2.54 GPA from a top Liberal Arts school.
Dings from uh...everywhere except georgetown w/l. I got in off the waitlist.

I got a 750 on the gmat. absolutely necessary if you're applying with a low UG gpa. My essays were kind of weak as well, or I think I would have been more successful. I spoke to the people at Tuck and Columbia and basically they said that because of my GPA I needed to have stellar essays to show them why they needed to ignore my past failure. Since I wasn't able to do that they felt like I just didnt' have good experiences to talk about and might have been a decent enough candidate in a few years, but that I seemed under prepared at present.

With any severe weakness in your application materials the onus is on you to MAKE them ignore it. You may know that you're not the bad risk you were as an 18 year old idiot, but the admissions department has never met you, so you have to show them why they should ignore the evidence that you've been a complete idiot in the past. I have more thoughts on this, but I'm in costa rica and the hotel computer kinda sucks so...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 14:55
isa wrote:
Not sure if this is "low" or not...

1. Undergrad GPA of 3.1, GPA in majors 3.7/3.8
2. Dinged at HBS (w/o interview), Columbia (w/ interview), MIT (w/o interview), Wharton (interview, WL, then ding)
3. Accepted at Booth, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck

How did you do on your GMAT? I assume your work experience and extra curricular activities were excellent?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 09:09
burnttwinky wrote:
isa wrote:
Not sure if this is "low" or not...

1. Undergrad GPA of 3.1, GPA in majors 3.7/3.8
2. Dinged at HBS (w/o interview), Columbia (w/ interview), MIT (w/o interview), Wharton (interview, WL, then ding)
3. Accepted at Booth, Kellogg, Duke, Tuck

How did you do on your GMAT? I assume your work experience and extra curricular activities were excellent?

ISA had 760 GMAT.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 14:59
Wow, that is a very impressive score!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 02:48
This gives me hope! I got a 750 on the Gmat and have a similar GPA issue. I have great work experience so it feels great that I could get in as long as I have excellent essays. Yay!

Sleepy wrote:
2.54 GPA from a top Liberal Arts school.
Dings from uh...everywhere except georgetown w/l. I got in off the waitlist.

I got a 750 on the gmat. absolutely necessary if you're applying with a low UG gpa. My essays were kind of weak as well, or I think I would have been more successful. I spoke to the people at Tuck and Columbia and basically they said that because of my GPA I needed to have stellar essays to show them why they needed to ignore my past failure. Since I wasn't able to do that they felt like I just didnt' have good experiences to talk about and might have been a decent enough candidate in a few years, but that I seemed under prepared at present.

With any severe weakness in your application materials the onus is on you to MAKE them ignore it. You may know that you're not the bad risk you were as an 18 year old idiot, but the admissions department has never met you, so you have to show them why they should ignore the evidence that you've been a complete idiot in the past. I have more thoughts on this, but I'm in costa rica and the hotel computer kinda sucks so...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 13:48
It appears hard enough with a solid GMAT score and a solid gpa to be admitted into a top school.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Entertainment and Sports)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 13

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 01:56
hi, ~3 gpa

submitting for r2 this year! we'll see what happens
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 5

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 12:02
This post received
KUDOS
i think my gpa takes the cake on this one - 1.9 (and that's rounded up). a bunch of F's, especially in 2nd yr when i broke up with my ex and just didn't even sit for any of my finals.

i have pretty good work experience though and a 760 gmat.

here's the link to my story. my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 00:31
This post received
KUDOS
I had a 2.8 as well, no Fs but I did have a D. I wrote an essay explaining a lot of personal issues I had gone through in college, and in my interviews I was very honest about how I didn't take education seriously. I ended up getting a 700 on the GMAT after a lot of studying, and I think this was a good way to prove I was now focused on school. I have been accepted to Foster so far, have had several other interviews, and am waiting to hear back from the other schools I have applied to in rd 2.
Current Student
WE 1: 5- hr

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 02:24
JesseT21 wrote:
I had a 2.8 as well, no Fs but I did have a D. I wrote an essay explaining a lot of personal issues I had gone through in college, and in my interviews I was very honest about how I didn't take education seriously. I ended up getting a 700 on the GMAT after a lot of studying, and I think this was a good way to prove I was now focused on school. I have been accepted to Foster so far, have had several other interviews, and am waiting to hear back from the other schools I have applied to in rd 2.

congratulations... when did you applied for and interviewed with foster?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 09:11
This is great!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
westsew wrote:
JesseT21 wrote:

I applied at the end of round 2, and interviewed 2 weeks ago. Heard back from them last week.
Current Student

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2010, 23:16
JesseT21 wrote:
westsew wrote:
JesseT21 wrote:

I applied at the end of round 2, and interviewed 2 weeks ago. Heard back from them last week.

that's so soon to hear a decision :) I interviewed with them last week. I applied on the deadline for the 3rd round- jan 15th. I hope I hear them soon. I am really curious...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 00:27
westsew wrote:
I applied on the deadline for the 3rd round- jan 15th. I hope I hear them soon. I am really curious...

Oh my mistake, it was round 3 for me as well, Jan. 15th. I think it was one week to the day that the person who I interviewed with called me and told me the good news. Good luck!
Current Student

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 01:14
JesseT21 wrote:
westsew wrote:
I applied on the deadline for the 3rd round- jan 15th. I hope I hear them soon. I am really curious...

Oh my mistake, it was round 3 for me as well, Jan. 15th. I think it was one week to the day that the person who I interviewed with called me and told me the good news. Good luck!

thanks,
good luck to you also :)
Current Student
Schools: Emory 2012
WE 1: 1 yr proprietary trading
WE 2: 2 yrs global ibank in municipal derivatives
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 20:00
I'll add my story too, although I consider it to be more of a work in progress rather than a success story (which is why I didn't post earlier). I have a 2.5 gpa in math from a top 15 school. I had an F or two, and a couple of Ds. I took a very ambitious schedule, but above all decided to focus on online poker rather than my studies. All day, all night, I was playing poker. Skipped class to play poker, missed assignments, etc. The story is awful, and I feel like a jerk telling it. I cleaned up my act, worked at 2 blue chip companies, have done meaningful work, and scored a 780 on my gmat. (As an aside, if you have a low gpa and low gmat, you really better have something very special [e.g. you played professional sports, founded a charity in Africa, or came up with the next facebook] to have a chance at the very top programs)

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear from CMU (I had an interview and visited and liked it). My other decisions are in the books:

Accepted with scholarship to Emory,
Interviewed and rejected from Booth and Kellogg
Rejected without interview from HBS, Stanford, MIT
Not interviewed, but not officially rejected yet from Duke

http://www.mbavolunteers.org - check it out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Low Undergrad GPA Success Stories   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2010, 20:00