Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

low verbal - low AWA - action plan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

low verbal - low AWA - action plan [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 22:30
Hello,

I am an indian candidate planning to apply for fall 2013 intake

My verbal in my last gmat was 30 and my AWA was 3.5 only, i dont have any problem with quant i scored 47 in quant in my last gmat and i am sure i will be able to score 49/50 in quant.

Now, i am retaking my gmat, so if my verbal improves then there is no issue, but i really want to demonstrate that i have worked on my verbal skills since last gmat attempt. so in verbal even if i end up improving 4/5 points, i have substantial points to talk about my efforts to improve my verbal

The first point that came to my mind was taking TOEFL , do you think that this will work ?

Else , please suggest me the ways by which i can demonstrate my serious efforts to improve my verbal when i apply next time.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 114

Re: low verbal - low AWA - action plan [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 12:25
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 647 [1] , given: 6

Re: low verbal - low AWA - action plan [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Versatile,
Are you asking whether TOEFL will help you improve on the verbal GMAT? It can help you get more familiarity with english in general which is good. Probably sentence correction is an area that can directly help you the most. But since sentence correction is learning to apply a certain set of rules, if you get the right prep that alone could help you improve. The TOEFL is just additional practice/familiarity and perhaps you'll learn a few things as you study for TOEFL.

You'll need to identify whether the weaknesses in verbal are a particular section or overall. If overall, then studying for the TOEFL will not help verbal overall significantly. My guess is that it will help in familiarity which can help in SC, and *maybe* some of CR and RC.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: low verbal - low AWA - action plan [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 22:45
gmatpill wrote:
Versatile,
Are you asking whether TOEFL will help you improve on the verbal GMAT? It can help you get more familiarity with english in general which is good. Probably sentence correction is an area that can directly help you the most. But since sentence correction is learning to apply a certain set of rules, if you get the right prep that alone could help you improve. The TOEFL is just additional practice/familiarity and perhaps you'll learn a few things as you study for TOEFL.

You'll need to identify whether the weaknesses in verbal are a particular section or overall. If overall, then studying for the TOEFL will not help verbal overall significantly. My guess is that it will help in familiarity which can help in SC, and *maybe* some of CR and RC.

thanks very much for your reply.

Do you think good TOEFL score can help to offset low verbal ?

thanks
Re: low verbal - low AWA - action plan   [#permalink] 05 May 2012, 22:45