Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Low Verbal Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Low Verbal Score [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 17:16
Hello,

I apologize for the brief description of my profile but I just gave my GMAT and am extremely dissapointed and wanted to get a feel of what you think my chances are to get into the following schools and whether its even worth a try:

Wharton
Kellogg
Chicago
Columbia
Stern
Michigan
LBS
Darden

I have given my GMAT twice now:

Second Attempt: 690 (50 Quant: 95%, 31 Verbal: 61%)
First Attempt: 680 (49 Quant: 90%, 34 Verbal: 71%)

I have worked for a top Management Consulting firm for 2.5 years now. Have even gotten promoted to the level at which most MBAs join in. I have managed teams and led projects. Also been involved in firm building activities such as recruiting and charity. Have phenomenal reccommendations.

Bachelors in Engineering from one of the top institution in India: IIT, GPA: 3.6/4.0 (Gold Medalist)
Masters in Engineering from Northwestern University

Again apologize for not providing more detail around what my profile and my "story" for my applications is. I just want to know if it is even worth a try now with my useless verbal score.

Thanks much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 18:50
Don't be so down on yourself. Your verbal score isn't "useless". You are firmly within the 80% range of GMAT scores for which these schools admit. That means you have a shot. Don't make the mistake of thinking that by adding more schools to your list of targets will increase your chances. Refine your list, understand what they're all about and then spend your time considering the best way for you to communicate what you are all about to thtem.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Intern
Intern

School Selection [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 21:16
Truthringer,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I will post a better profile soon, but any reccommendations on the schools I should focus on (among the ones I listed) in the mean time based on what I mentioned?

Thanks.
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2006, 09:19
Michigan, Chicago, Stern.

Intern
Intern

Re-taking GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2006, 23:16
Omari,

What do you think about me re-taking the GMAT. The only issue is that I will have to wait till the first week of January (1 month deadline) and will get a new GMAT score just a few days prior to the deadline of most schools.

Interdependencies:

- Will a higher verbal score carry weight given that it has decreased once?
- Will schools wait for the official GMAT score report or will they make a decision based on a copy of the interim score report?
- Time needed for both essays and the GMAT.
- What if verbal does not improve?

Not a good situation, but your take on it?

Thanks for your opinion.
CIO
CIO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2006, 03:37
My take is that with the round 2 deadlines coming ever closer, it's probably best to spend your time and energies on producing the absolute best applications possible. Dividing your time between the application and giving the GMAT another go, may dilute your efforts across the board.

Also, you haven't shown a pattern of improvement with your verbal score actually going down the second time, so it wuold be even worse if you divide your time and don't see any improvement.

690 is a decent score. If you keep tinkering with it you'll get dinged simply because you didn't dedicate enough time to the application, which is extremely, extremely important.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 22:15
Again, thanks for the advice Omari.