Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 06:54
I got my Gmat on Saturday and got a disappointed score of 590. First of all, sorry for my wording mistakes which reflect my verbal failure.

I started to study intensively 2 months ago. I used Manhattan SC, Aristotle SC and CR (half of the questions on Aristotle) and Official Guides.
I was pretty well on quantitative side (BS and MS in engineering). Before start to study for Gmat I was aware that verbal will be my nightmare as it happened.

On official guide I finished SC and CR parts with about 35% mistake. I just took my fisrt MGMAT CAT, 3 weeks prior to my real exam date and scored 660 - 45Q 35V. Then continue with official guide verbal question practices and review of Manhattan SC and Aristotle SC.

During my last week of preperation I took the following CATs

MGMAT CAT 2 680 - 48Q 35V
MGMAT CAT 3 630 - 45Q 32V
MGMAT CAT 4 690 - 49Q 35V
GMAT Prep CAT 1 650 - 49Q 30V (10 mistake on quantitative and 18 mistake on verbal) Missed last reading passage to gain some time

Real GMAT 590 49Q 21V

During the real exam I found IR part quite easy than MGMAT IR and also quant part is less tricky than MGMAT`s quant.
And my verbal, I spend about 10 minutes for the first 3 question (2SC and 1CR) then I felt that things are not going well. Hopefully I got a RC on 5-8 questions which calmed down me. With all the following SC I hesitated between 2 choices and lost a lot of time. I had 13 questions for the last 10 minutes, had a long RC which I passed to gain time. And result with a 21 on verbal.

I am planning to retake the exam. Do you have any book, exam tactics advise for me?

Every suggestion would be so appreciated :)
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 17

Re: Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
I think you can whittle down the SC mistakes down to ~10% if you thoroughly read MGMAT's SC guide and do the practice problems on the official guide. Really understand every concept, and try to memorize most of the idioms.

For the CR and RC sections, it sounds like you may be missing some fundamental test-taking/reading comprehension skills; have you considered looking into SAT prep guides? The questions are easier, and you can build up your skillset.

Also, you should take a lot more practice tests; buy the 800score and kaplan tests after you've done more prep, and power through them. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Re: Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 07:42
Blax0r wrote:

For the CR and RC sections, it sounds like you may be missing some fundamental test-taking/reading comprehension skills; have you considered looking into SAT prep guides? The questions are easier, and you can build up your skillset.

Interesting suggestion. I never would have considered this. I'm doing okay, but not great, in Verbal, this sounds like a good tool to add to my study books. The good part is I can easily find these at Goodwill.

I do not beg for kudos.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2013, 09:01
Expert's post
Blax0r wrote:
I think you can whittle down the SC mistakes down to ~10% if you thoroughly read MGMAT's SC guide and do the practice problems on the official guide. Really understand every concept, and try to memorize most of the idioms.

Also, you should take a lot more practice tests; buy the 800score and kaplan tests after you've done more prep, and power through them. Good luck!

And if you're looking for more practice tests, you can try this one here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

Be sure to review your mistakes and analyze them in-depth. Keep re-attempting questions you got wrong and ask yourself what could have done differently to get the right answer.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 19:33
Expert's post
Let me add another practice test to the mix.

Reading your story, it sounds to my like you don't need any real tips or tricks for test-taking. Your test-day quant was a high score for you, and you know exactly what went wrong on your verbal. Keep your skills sharp, get more confident, and know that you won't freeze again--and next time around, you're sure to do great!

Best,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Lower than all CATs: 590 Need Advice   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2013, 19:33