Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 18:40
It seems that both the Reading comprehension and Logical Reasoning (LSAT) / Critical Reasoning (GMAT) sections are very similar on both tests. I wanted to know if it would be helpful to add in some LSAT books regarding these sections to my study regimen. I just wanted to make sure the LSAT books would indeed help me and not throw me off before I started using them. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2010, 19:18
Powerscore LSAT Reading comprehension and LSAT Logical resoning books are good source of 700+ questions. Before using them please go through the following books:

PowerScore CR Bible
OG 12
Kaplan 800

cheers
/Milap
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 19

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 19:45
LSAT CR/RC is definetly more difficult. In this regard it helps you stretch your abilities and makes the GMAT CR/RC easier. But remember GMAT CR/RC is not to be taken lightly, it is my strongest area but is by no means a cakewalk.

Also, when doing LSAT CR just skip 'parallel reasoning' questions. Too difficult and a headache. Plus you'll never see a GMAT CR question that hard.

hope it helps.

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
LSAT books, particularly Powerscore RC and Powerscore LR, can be effectively incorporated into one's GMAT studies. I used these two books, along with the LSAT SuperPrep. In my opinion, the RC questions are excellent. LSAT questions are considered more difficult than their GMAT counterparts.

I would, however, advise you to pick either the Powerscore LR or Powerscore CR - not both. The LR version is identical to the CR book, except that it's much larger and covers more topics. Purchasing both the CR and LR would be a waste of money.

It's also worth noting that Powescore LR and Powerscore RC are expensive, difficult, and take a great deal of time to finish.

Here are some general discussions on this topic:

lsat-for-gmat-95577.html
usefulness-of-lsat-books-materials-80818.html
using-lsat-material-to-prepare-for-cr-94478.html
powerscore-logical-reasoning-bible-debating-it-61469.html
gmat-verbal-prep-using-lsat-book-92815.html

And here are reviews on the three books that I mentioned above:

review-of-powerscore-s-lr-bible-96013.html
review-of-powerscore-s-lsat-rc-bible-86718.html
review-of-the-official-lsat-superprep-96276.html

There are, of course, many more discussions on this topic scattered throughout GMATClub. But these links provide enough information to make a decision.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 14:50
Expert's post
TheSituation wrote:
Also, when doing LSAT CR just skip 'parallel reasoning' questions. Too difficult and a headache. Plus you'll never see a GMAT CR question that hard.

The LSAT LR section that gave me the most trouble was Conditional Reasoning. If you can handle that, then you're the man! :)

But if you're going to invest in the Powerscore LR Bible, then I suggest going through it completely. It toughens you up and allows you to see GMAT CR from a different and more complete perspective. I don't think that the book is necessary for most people, though. Powerscore CR is the most popular GMAT-specific book on this topic and should be enough. Plus, it's cheaper and smaller. :wink:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2010, 14:50