Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread]

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
14 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 491 [14] , given: 432

Premium Member
LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep

:thumbup:
LSAT books, particularly Powerscore RC, Powerscore LR, and LSAT SuperPrep, can be effectively incorporated into one's GMAT studies. I used these three books and, in my humble opinion, the RC questions are excellent. The LR questions are also good for practice, although some question types do not appear on the GMAT and are therefore out of scope.

LSAT questions are considered more challenging than their GMAT counterparts. Indeed, most LSAT test takers usually comment on the disparity between the two in terms of difficulty level. LSAT RC passages are longer and can be much more complex. The actual RC questions can also be quite tricky. Simply put, the LSAT tests your RC skills to the max. The LR also offers a strong challenge, but this is partly due to the wide range of question types - some of which you will never see on a GMAT test.

If you're searching for practice only, then look no further than the LSAT SuperPrep. This book may be overkill for some, but it contains 250 questions and explanations relevant to the GMAT (150 LR, 100 RC). And the price is reasonable. Another option is to simply visit the GMATClub forums and practice with LSAT questions.

:thumbdown:
I would, however, advise you to pick either the Powerscore LR or Powerscore CR - not both. The LR version is identical to the CR book, except that it's much larger and covers more topics. Purchasing both the CR and LR would be a waste of money.

:thumbdown:
It's also worth noting that Powerscore LR and Powerscore RC are expensive, difficult, and take a great deal of time and energy to finish. Don't underestimate them. Purchasing these guides becomes harder to justify once we remember that Powerscore CR and Manhattan RC are available and specifically catered to the GMAT.

Here are some general discussions on this topic:
lsat-for-gmat-95577.html
usefulness-of-lsat-books-materials-80818.html
using-lsat-material-to-prepare-for-cr-94478.html
powerscore-logical-reasoning-bible-debating-it-61469.html
gmat-verbal-prep-using-lsat-book-92815.html
gmat-rc-vs-lsat-rc-90311.html
lsat-cr-difficulty-level-94085.html
last-prep-material-suggest-good-books-90291.html
more-discussion-on-the-lsat-and-gmat-97730.html

And here are reviews on the three books that I mentioned above:
review-of-powerscore-s-lr-bible-96013.html
review-of-powerscore-s-lsat-rc-bible-86718.html
review-of-the-official-lsat-superprep-96276.html

LSAT questions on GMATClub forums:
search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=215
search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=230

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by BM on 22 Aug 2010, 20:06, edited 22 times in total.
Formatting
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 491 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 14:50
Expert's post
TheSituation wrote:
Also, when doing LSAT CR just skip 'parallel reasoning' questions. Too difficult and a headache. Plus you'll never see a GMAT CR question that hard.

The LSAT LR section that gave me the most trouble was Conditional Reasoning. If you can handle that, then you're the man! :)

But if you're going to invest in the Powerscore LR Bible, then I suggest going through it completely. It toughens you up and allows you to see GMAT CR from a different and more complete perspective. I don't think that the book is necessary for most people, though. Powerscore CR is the most popular GMAT-specific book on this topic and should be enough. Plus, it's cheaper and smaller. :wink:

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 993 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 11:12
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 17:42
Really awesome post. I'm done Powerscore LR and RC. Both were good, but spent too much time on them. I need to hurry up with SC and finish verbal now.

I WILLconquer the GMAT!!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 14:57
conquistador wrote:
Really awesome post. I'm done Powerscore LR and RC. Both were good, but spent too much time on them. I need to hurry up with SC and finish verbal now.

Conquistador, I love your fervor! "I WILL conquer the GMAT." :x :x :x :x :x :twisted:

That is what I said yesterday as I punched the punching bags at the gym!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 02:12
Thanks for the info ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 11:54
Hey guys, i am looking for extensive practice in verbal. I already have the GMAT CR bible. I understood that the LSAT bible and the GMAT bibles are the same? So should i buy the LSAT CR Bible or the LSAT LR bible or the GMAT ones or both?....I am lost :):)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 491 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The Powerscore CR Bible is very, very good and should provide you with all the information necessary to score very well in CR. Don't purchase both the CR and LR books, as that would be a waste of money. Since you already have the CR version, stick with that.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 350

Kudos [?]: 1416 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yeah, from my personal experience I think the Powerscore CR Strategy is excellent. They address the mechanics of the problem instead of just teaching you tips and tricks. And they don't ask you to write down a lot of stuff, hence wasting your time. However, that said, the Powerscore CR Bible/Powerscore On-Demand Course doesn't really have many examples or problems to work on. So that book should mainly be considered a strategy book and not a practice book.

My advise would be to read through the CR Bible and gather the strategy from there and then buy another book like Veritas CR or MGMAT CR or the OG Verbal and work on problems there using the CR strategy. Don't waste your money/time in buying both the LSAT and GMAT CR. They're practically the same :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 11:46
Thank you both!!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q V
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 17:52
Great post.Thank you. I was looking for some info about LSAT CR and RC material.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 4

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 09:23
I am on same page with Score780, do you need to buy another from the LSAT? I just got the GMAT Bible

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:31
I am thinking about buying official LSAT books.

Each LSAT test has 2 sets of about 25 CR. So SuperPrep 2004 and 2007 has about 150 CR in 3 tests. There are three more books: 10 Actual, 10 More Actual and 10 Next Actual Official LSAT PrepTests. About 500 CR questions in each of them.

My questions:

1. Does SuperPrep contain answer explanation? I was reading somewhere that the 10 test books don't.

2. Should I purchase SuperPrep 2004 and SuperPrep 2007 both?

3. Is there any value in purchasing the 10 Actual, 10 More Actual or 10 Next Actual? Since these book don't contain any explanation I am doubtful about their usefulness. Moreover, it will be too much to practice.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 26

Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread] [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 08:52
excellent review..kudos +1.
Re: LSAT Books for GMAT Verbal Prep [Master Thread]   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 08:52