Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: LSAT RC Timing? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
optmistic2016 wrote:
Many thanks for your inputs.

Could you please advise how to improve the reading speed of CR passages? The dilemma is that when I tried to increase speed - the accuracy goes down and vice versa. :(

The best way to increase your speed is by increasing your comprehension of the passage, so that you do not need to revisit the passage.
One of the methods that I tell to my students is to make a passage map.
Write down the main points of each paragraph. Initially this might take some time, but it will surely increase your comprehension of the passage and you will be able to save time while answering the questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
LSAT RC Timing? [#permalink]
Many thanks for your suggestion.

Whats the best approach to read Comprehension? I have searched many websites but Its really difficult to follow one proper rule - I have 2-3 months till my test date - I can adopt a method to improve the comprehension - I am a regular reader of english articles but not so dry topics.

I heard about a book - how to read better and faster by Norman Lewis, is it good? or do you suggest any other method?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
optmistic2016 wrote:
RC Section: Last week I started my RC preparation after covering the concepts of RC passages through Manhattan & Kaplan Books then practiced LSAT Exam sets, so far 3 exams (total 12 passages). During the LSAT test, my accuracy has improved - (5 to 6 Correct out of 7/8 Qs). However, I am taking too much time, for every passage which contains 7 or 8 questions, I am taking 20 minutes.

I haven't taken OG RC tests yet but my concern is timing - can someone please suggest if this is normal or I am taking too much time which is hard to improve? I have two months till I take the GMAT test - in the next two months - my prime goal is to focus on Quant.

Hi

I had the same issue and the only way to resolve it is to keep reading and engage while reading... over the time you should notice your improvement

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
optmistic2016 wrote:
Many thanks for your suggestion.

Whats the best approach to read Comprehension? I have searched many websites but Its really difficult to follow one proper rule - I have 2-3 months till my test date - I can adopt a method to improve the comprehension - I am a regular reader of english articles but not so dry topics.

I heard about a book - how to read better and faster by Norman Lewis, is it good? or do you suggest any other method?

Thanks!

As suggested earlier, I recommend a passage map to improve your comprehension and reduce your overall time on the RC questions.
Along with this, drill down into different types of questions - Main idea, specific detail, inference etc. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

If you want to increase your speed, reading a lot is the only way. The more you practice, the better you get. Also, try to find out if any particular topic on RC passages trouble you.
For example - Science, History, Biology, Women empowerment etc. Once you have figured this out, try to solve as many passages as you can on the particular topic.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Many thanks for the guidance ! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts