Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Re: LSE alum applying to B-school. Advice needed [#permalink]
Hey LSEguy,

Reading your background, I realised that being an engineering graduate like you , I was also exposed to basic economics in undergrad and have sort of taken a liking for it since then rather than my core engineering subjecs.

I have about 2 years FT experience now in core engineering. Nothing related to econ whatsoever.

I have contemplated MBA vs. LSE MSc Econ for a while now and can say that I am still not very sure. Although I am sure about one thing that ,if I want to apply want to apply my knowledge of econ in the business world, I need business education sooner or later. If not directly , maybe a couple of years after MSc from LSE. What are you thoughts on the same?

Do you regret taking that path that I am contemplating now??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Anasthaesium

I can understand your state of mind at the moment. Even I was very confused about going to LSE and leaving top Ivy league engineering programs. Though, I must say that I am not regretting the decision that I made since I gave my best shot at the course while in London. But, it is a disappointment that things turned out this way.

I would like to point out that a program like the MSc Economics at LSE (or Oxbridge) is a highly specialized program that requires a lot of academic rigor. These programs are perfectly fine for a student wishing to pursue a PhD in economics or some related field. In fact many masters students from LSE do end up at top PhD programs across the world.

If you really do want to get a flavor of subjects like economics, optimization, finance etc, but at the same time do not want to drown in the details, then I would suggest that a MBA will be more suited and will serve the purpose. 2 years in a specialized program like the one in LSE will pave the way to an excellent academic career.

Cheers!
LSEguy
Manager
Manager
Status:Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Send PM
Hey LSEguy,
Thanks a lot for that reply. I thought I was an outcast who had graduated in engineering and suddenly realised he doesnt want to be an engineer anymore :)

I certainly dont want to get into ecnomic academia, rather am more inclined towards the implications of economics on international business. In that case, I guess I would be better off with an MBA.

Thanks again.
GMAT Club Bot