Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 05:07
Guys, I just received the admit offer from LSE MSc Finance via e-mail yesterday night, now I have to make a tough call.. I've already put down my deposit at Vanderbilt's MSF program for the fall. Any current / past LSE attendees around who would like to enlighten me about the career opportunities coming out of LSE? I'd love to go, but I don't want to be picking up roots and flying to London for a year only to have no luck finding a job afterward. I'm interested in IB, and I know LSE has good ties with IB in London.

Help me out, guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
I would say LSE beats Vandy... I applied to LSE's MSc Finance earlier this year but sadly didn't get in. Owen is good but seriously LSE has a bigger name, bigger access to London based IB jobs, and probably a richer experience. I guess the only drawback would be getting jobs in US right after LSE in this market. But since things seem to be sort of stabilizing (even if the fundamentals are not improving) you shouldn't be too worried about getting a job in UK.. good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 07:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

My apologies for delay in responding to you. Hope you made a decision you feel comfortable with!

I completed the MSc Finance at LSE this past June and am originally from the states. There were 3 americans in my program out of about 55. Prior to the programme, I had 3 years of work experience in strategy for a high-tech company and decided to pursue the MSc Finance part-time while working full-time in corprate development for a venture backed comapny in London.

I think the MSc Finance is viewed in two lights. The full-time program is for kids with very little work experience or looking to make a transition into Finance if they are not already in it. From what I've seen, the recruitment and job placement is very good in London. I believe 90+% of kids have a placement or have been recruited into a full-time analyst program. If you are coming from the states and looking to go back, it is not that easy to be recruited into a position back in America. Rather it makes more sense to take an analyst role here in London for two years, as they recruit directly on campus and LOVE LSE. Luckily, the UK govt has made it so students can apply for a 2 year extension on their visa to stay in London after they graduate.

The part-time program is more geared towards students who have progressed in their career. The average age is around 28-29 (similar to a MBA) and the degree seems to be viewed more as a MBA - given that the average candidate has significant work experience.

If you are opting for the full-time program, which I am assuming you are, I would absolutely recommend LSE over Vandy but be prepared to stay here for 2-3 years if you want to progress in your career.

If you have any questions, just drop me a message.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2009, 20:46
gr8 to hear from someone who has actually done the course from LSE, iam a software engineer from india having around 2years work ex with Infosys Tech. in banking software solutions, i have also been involved with a NGO for more than a year, iam really interested in the Msc in Finance at LSE, but am not sure if it will be the right course for me,i want to make a switch into Finance, but am in doubt whether i should go in for a traditional MBA or the MSc in Finance. Also do you have any idea what the average salary is for an analyst position after LSE in London??
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2009, 23:00
Hi Frenz,

I have a GMAT score of 720 (Q49, V39) and I want to apply to Ms Finance programs in US and UK. I will have 4 years of exp in IT by the time I start my school. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me on the list of colleges I should be applying to.

Thanks
Grv
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 21:07
Dear friends,
Please let me know job prospects of MSC Finance from Bradford University UK.
Thank you.
Re: LSE MSc Finance / Finance & Economics Job Opportunities?   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2010, 21:07