Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
LSE MSc in Accounting & Finance [#permalink]
Kudos
I think more important is how do these programs place? And you can check that out via LSE's stats.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/CareersAn ... /Home.aspx

Here's what it reports for Accounting & Finance:

Quote:
The Proportion of graduates in work or further study is: 86.6%

The average (median) salary of graduates in full time work is £32,500

Not all that impressive to me, but LSE's placement, despite its reputation, has always been a bit suspect in comparison to where continental European schools land you. Of course, there's the whole language barrier with the latter that makes things tough, so it's a trade off.

Honestly, the best career moves seems to be learning German and attending a German school. They get some pretty nice starting salaries, employment rates, and big name placements into investment banks and consulting firms. Unfortunately, learning German takes a while.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: LSE MSc in Accounting & Finance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mooncakes wrote:
I think more important is how do these programs place? And you can check that out via LSE's stats.

Quote:

Not all that impressive to me, but LSE's placement, despite its reputation, has always been a bit suspect in comparison to where continental European schools land you. Of course, there's the whole language barrier with the latter that makes things tough, so it's a trade off.

Honestly, the best career moves seems to be learning German and attending a German school. They get some pretty nice starting salaries, employment rates, and big name placements into investment banks and consulting firms. Unfortunately, learning German takes a while.

Couple things.

1) LSE will place you in Frankfurt if you know German.

2) That starting salary is roughly $60K in USD. And it is an average. Considering that a starting investment banking salary is roughly $70K USD and you figure a chunk of the class will do corporate finance or accounting, something non investment banking, then you can see easily how the average can drop down.

3) Salary doesn't include all in comp. US bankers will get say $70 base, but will bring home $120-140K all in depending on bucket and market.

4) Roughly 90% placement is pretty good.

There are plenty of great continental programs that are all in English or have English options. Bocconi, St. Gallen, SSE are examples.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
LSE MSc in Accounting & Finance [#permalink]
MSFHQ wrote:
mooncakes wrote:

Quote:

Couple things.

1) LSE will place you in Frankfurt if you know German.

2) That starting salary is roughly $60K in USD. And it is an average. Considering that a starting investment banking salary is roughly $70K USD and you figure a chunk of the class will do corporate finance or accounting, something non investment banking, then you can see easily how the average can drop down.

3) Salary doesn't include all in comp. US bankers will get say $70 base, but will bring home $120-140K all in depending on bucket and market.

4) Roughly 90% placement is pretty good.

There are plenty of great continental programs that are all in English or have English options. Bocconi, St. Gallen, SSE are examples.

It's by no means terrible in terms of placement or salary, but I think there are better programs, especially considering the LSE price tag. The fact that it's a 1 year master's also poses some difficulties, as mentioned in some of the interviews on your blog. LSE gets a huge circlejerk on WSO & The Student Room, but I'd rather attend a lot of continental programmes which are cheaper (sometimes free) and have better work policies for non-EU citizens than the UK. It depends on what you want to do, of course, and there's the language barrier to keep in mind as well. It's ultimately dependent on the individual's situation but at the moment I'm pursuing my bachelor's in Scandinavia, and I'm inclined to just remain here for my master's and get a scholarship that would pay me to study rather than fork over $50,000 for a one year program that might not even get me a FO BB job (I vaguely remember one of your interviewees saying 1/7 or 1/8 of his class got FO positions?) Part of it is just London being extremely competitive given everyone applies for those positions, which makes a continental program even a better idea to have some sort of fall back if you can't secure a London spot(investment banking in Scandinavia/Germany/Switzerland/France is nowhere near the end of the world). Of course, LSE might allow you to place in continental Europe, but the continental European school will probably offer better opportunities to network/attend recruiting events, and it's by no means a waltz into a position if you're competing with HEC Paris/HSG students in their respective countries. Finally, I'll acknowledge that I'm coming from a non-EU perspective; I'm sure part of the reason why LSE might not appear as impressive as continental programs is because the UK doesn't have very friendly hiring policies to non-EUs, who generally make up a bulk of the class.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Accountants are in demand and the UK financial services industry is one of the biggest, Both are great fields, but know that right now, it is easier to find a job in accounting than in finance. There are not enough accounting graduates to fill the existing jobs.that's the true behind these two terms.

101 Finsbury Pavement,
Moorgate,
London,
EC2A 1RS
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts