Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Lured from Full time to Part time w/$, would U go 4 it?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Suppose you made a big first impression, and provided you were given a five year limit, what is the MINIMUM annual salary offer you would be willing to accept in order to drop from full time to part time MBA status after completing your internship?

• 0% [0]
  • 12% [5]
  • 7% [3]
  • 0% [0]
  • 2% [1]
  • 43% [17]
  • 33% [13]
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Lured from Full time to Part time w/$, would U go 4 it? [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2007, 21:59
Please think carefully before you respond to this poll. On very rare occasions, I've been told some Fortune 5's do make such offers, especially for cadidates who possess marketable skills in need during a raging bull market.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Lured from Full time to Part time w/$, would U go 4 it? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 04:49
GMATT73 wrote:
Please think carefully before you respond to this poll. On very rare occasions, I've been told some Fortune 5's do make such offers, especially for cadidates who possess marketable skills in need during a raging bull market.

Looks like everyone thinks REALLY carefully...
Current Student

Re: Lured from Full time to Part time w/$, would U go 4 it? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 07:14
helg wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:

Looks like everyone thinks REALLY carefully...

Hopefully we'll get some feedback on that... Seriously, if Fortune XYZ Corp propostioned: "We were so impressed with your performance this summer that we would like to offer you a permanent position starting immediately, at a certain six digit salary, and still allow you an evening or two a week off to continue your studies..." I seriously would consider taking the bait.

Pros:

1. The second year is basically all electives, which we could tailor around our work schedule.
2. Five years should be enough time to spread out 10~12 courses with a full time job.
3. We'd be working one year earlier.
4. We'd be guaranteed a position for at least a year during a booming economy.
5. MBA salary w/half an MBA education and counting...
6. Visa sponsorship for internationals.

Cons:

1. Loss of FT status and all its perks.
2. Severing alumni contacts.
3. That lingering feeling of "I've gotta get this MBA wrapped up one of these years."
4. Balancing a full time career with demanding academic work.
5. Potentially losing a better offer or your "dream job" after grad.
6. Possibly defeating your original purpose of going back to school.

Last edited by GMATT73 on 04 Apr 2007, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 07:16
You guys are really determined. Nobody even opted for $120K :?:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 09:57
If they really wanted you, they could wait 9 months.

I wouldn't take the bait. If I liked the position, I would tell them that I would forego all interviews and job searching if they guaranteed the position.

Then I would just chill for 9 months.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 10:00
Um, ask me 6-10 months from now. Who knows how I would feel then?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1533 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 10:12
I said $150K. The reasoning is this - for $100K theres not much point - many firms offer to pay for the second yaer and offer $100K starting afterwards. So for me to switch to part time, you at, teh very least, have to offer me $100K + the cost tutition. I chose $150K because it's substantially higher than most starting salaries - and easily pays for the remaining educational expenses over the next few years.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

They couldn't pay me really [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 10:16
When I go off to school in a few years (hopefully!), I will be walking away from a six figure income. Some might call that insane, but in the end you need to think about the long term, that MBA is going to be worth a lot more in a few years and it will provide a lot of mobility in the marketplace, assuming you happen to lose that job.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 11:19
I put no offer. My main concern is that taking an offer (if I understand it correctly) locks you into working for that employer after you graduate. That's certainly true if they pay for your tuition. One of the most exciting parts heading off to business school is the thought that a multitude of doors are swinging open. Even if you aren't tied into an employer, a lot of the opportunities are tied into on-campus recruiting and extracurricular activities that are designed for full-time students.

Everyone has a different set of priorities, but for me, a full-time MBA seems perfect, while I'd probably just pass on a part-time.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 08:01
Interesting results. 2/3 of the respondants would take an offer provided it were at least as good or better than the average starting salary (for all schools). Considering that more than half of all MBA students are part-timers, it does make sense though. I wonder how many of the same people who chose 150K + benefits would have selected 120K + benefits? I should have tightened the spread in order to find the actual opportunity cost cutoff point.
Current Student

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2007, 09:31
Any way to edit a poll?
  [#permalink] 05 Apr 2007, 09:31