Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [102]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
 Q49  V28
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [185]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1807 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Lysosomal storage diseases form a category of genetic disorders result [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer to question 2 is C

There is no information regarding the number of death proportional to onset. It does say infantile death does occur, but the information would be false if it were known that no of cases of infantile diseases is very very less as compared to adolescent

lets say perhaps out of 1000 2 infantile cases but 50 adolescent cases

without concrete info D cannot be true.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Lysosomal storage diseases form a category of genetic disorders result [#permalink]
Kudos
answer for the second question is 'C' i got it from other forums
Explanation is (C) CORRECT. This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "can be fatal even when allowing some enzymatic activity." This can be inferred from the fact that people suffering from juvenile Tay-Sachs have "extremely crippled hexosaminidase activity" (lines 91-93) and generally live to only 15 years of age (line 49).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
D-found in the last 3 sentences of the paragraph. The puzzling question is what causes variability. Scientists are less concerned to figure out the number of possible genetic mutations of the deseases (even though it might be the next step of the research) , they would be happy enough to figure out the cause of variability before they go any futher.

D

B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7793 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Bookmarks
OA is DCB.

I have a question regarding Q2.

This is explanation provided by Manhattan, but I don't agree with it, especially red parts.

(A) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are generally caused by mutations to the hexosaminidase gene." The passage only states that mutations in this gene are responsible for Tay-Sachs disease. There is no information suggesting that it is responsible for the entire class of storage diseases.

(B) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are undetectable until physical symptoms are present." The passage, however, discusses some specific genetic mutations that are linked to Tay Sachs diseases, a type of lysosomal storage disease. This indicates, if anything, that the disease might be detectable before physical symptoms are present.

(C) CORRECT. This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "can be fatal even when allowing some enzymatic activity." This can be inferred from combining two statements in the passage: paragraph 3, which states that “those in the infantile category had little to no normal activity” and paragraph 2, which states that “children [with the infantile form of the disease] rarely live beyond 3 years old.” "Little... activity," while low, is still not zero activity.

(D) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are most lethal when onset is in a patient's infancy." The information in the passage relating to infant mortality is given in the specific context of Tay-Sachs disease. We cannot know whether this pattern holds true for other diseases of this type. In addition, while those with the infantile form do die of the disease, so do those with the juvenile form, making the disease equally lethal.

(E) Choice E states that it can be inferred that the causes of lysosomal storage diseases were unknown before the 1950s. The passage states, however, that the causes of Tay-Sachs disease were unknown before that time. We do not have any information about the causes of lysosomal storage diseases generally.

The explanation says that the reason that A and D are not the answer is that A and D can be applied only to Tay-Sachs disease.
But dosen't the explanation for C also talk about Tay-Sachs disease ? “those in the infantile category had little to no normal activity”
children [with the infantile form of the disease] rarely live beyond 3 years old.”
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
My Answers were DBB for above package, but for 2nd question after reading explanation,

I think C is the correct answer as per explanation provided "little to no normal activity".. I find this logical statement means there is some activity is allowed children do not live beyond 3 years. if we ignore this inference then statement made in above paragraph fails.

I agree with Manhattan explanation
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
My answers are- 1) C 2) D 3) B
It took me nearly 9- 10 mins to solve this question, certainly more than double the time ideal time. This passage is 600 words. Can we expect such long passages with only 3 question on the GMAT. If yes, I probably need to improve my timings.. :D

I have one more doubt- how to effectively tackle and let go of few sentences that I could not understand properly. Why I spend extra time in sentences I dont understand is beacuse I have mostly seen questions coming from that specific part of the passage. (I am sorry I cant provide any example in this passage though)..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: CBS '18 (D)
Send PM
I answered with DCB in 8 minutes.

I freaked out halfway through the first paragraph and spent more than one minute on it to: (1) understand what was written because my eyes were glazing over(!), and (2) calm myself down. The second paragraph was more descriptive and easier to read, and the third was technical and somewhat over my head.

Used process of elimination on questions 1 and 2 (basically looking in the passage for the key words in the answer choices - tedious, perhaps, but I'm never going to remember details), and could solve 3 pretty quickly.

Let's hope I can reproduce this performance on test day!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi,

About question 2. The explanation to the question states that A, B, D and E are out because it refers to "Tay-Sachs disease" and not to "lysosomal storage diseases" in general.

The thing is that to infer answer C you also need information about the "Tay-Sachs disease". As the answer asserts "C can be inferred from combining two statements in the passage: paragraph 3, which states that “those in the infantile category had little to no normal activity” and paragraph 2, which states that “children [with the infantile form of the disease] rarely live beyond 3 years old.” "Little... activity," while low, is still not zero activity." Hence, I am completely lost because, in fact, no of the answer referse specifically to "lysosomal storage diseases".

Please help, thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
I had this passage on my practice exam today and answered all questions correctly except for # 2.

I honestly still don't understand why the right answer is C.

These are the official answer explanations from Manhattan:
I highlighted what confuses me. Read my comments below the passage.

A) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are generally caused by mutations to the hexosaminidase gene." The passage only states that mutations in this gene are responsible for Tay-Sachs disease. There is no information suggesting that it is responsible for the entire class of storage diseases.

(B) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are undetectable until physical symptoms are present." The passage, however, discusses some specific genetic mutations that are linked to Tay Sachs diseases, a type of lysosomal storage disease. This indicates, if anything, that the disease might be detectable before physical symptoms are present.

(C) CORRECT. This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "can be fatal even when allowing some enzymatic activity." This can be inferred from combining two statements in the passage: paragraph 3, which states that “those in the infantile category had little to no normal activity” and paragraph 2, which states that “children [with the infantile form of the disease] rarely live beyond 3 years old.” "Little... activity," while low, is still not zero activity.

(D) This choice states that it can be inferred that lysosomal storage diseases "are most lethal when onset is in a patient's infancy." The information in the passage relating to infant mortality is given in the specific context of Tay-Sachs disease. We cannot know whether this pattern holds true for other diseases of this type. In addition, while those with the infantile form do die of the disease, so do those with the juvenile form, making the disease equally lethal.

(E) Choice E states that it can be inferred that the causes of lysosomal storage diseases were unknown before the 1950s. The passage states, however, that the causes of Tay-Sachs disease were unknown before that time. We do not have any information about the causes of lysosomal storage diseases generally.

Okay so all these answer choices except for C were wrong because they were taken from the Tay-Sachs passage which is only one type of lysosomal storage disease.

HOWEVER.... answer choice C ALSO takes information from the paragraph about Tay Sachs disease and applies it to the answer about lysosomal disease in general. So what the what????? I don't get it. The lines referred to in answer choice C refer to Tay Sachs disease.

Does anyone understand why C is correct and the other answer choices are not because they supposedly only talk about Tay Sachs disease?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Silviax wrote:
Funny.... that's exactly what I just wrote in my post under yours. I guess no one has a good explanation to this interesting "phenomenon".

Is parker still an active Manhattan instructor on this forum? Maybe he/she can explain this?

bolasao wrote:
Hi,

About question 2. The explanation to the question states that A, B, D and E are out because it refers to "Tay-Sachs disease" and not to "lysosomal storage diseases" in general.

The thing is that to infer answer C you also need information about the "Tay-Sachs disease". As the answer asserts "C can be inferred from combining two statements in the passage: paragraph 3, which states that “those in the infantile category had little to no normal activity” and paragraph 2, which states that “children [with the infantile form of the disease] rarely live beyond 3 years old.” "Little... activity," while low, is still not zero activity." Hence, I am completely lost because, in fact, no of the answer referse specifically to "lysosomal storage diseases".

Please help, thank you

Let me try to exchange the idea by my own understanding after re-read the passage several time.

Sentence 6-11 said:

"When any one of the lysosomal enzymes is defective, the molecules requiring that specific enzyme for their degradation will accumulate and cause that individual's lysosomes to swell enormously. The physiological effects of such swelling on the individual include motor and mental deterioration, often to the point of premature death."

So the line of reasoning is that:

Any (>=1) LE failed --> swell enormously --> physiological effects...premature death: sound pretty serious and fatal to me!

Answer choice C:
C. They can be fatal even when allowing some enzymatic activity.

Up to this point, it becomes very tricky because "These enzymes do their work in the lysosome" and you only get issue "When any one of the lysosomal enzymes is defective"

But how do you define "some enzymatic activity" in this sense - since all the rest of the passages are only presented about TSD (not fully cover LSD), the best of my guest is that some enzymatic activity also includes the defective enzyme's work/activity as well.

Here is when the word "C. They can be fatal " is played its role here.

Voila, so there is a possibility that (by the word: CAN) enzyme is defective and is active --> fatal.

Therefore, C - is the best choice out of 5.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Tough passage:

Can anyone explain the option choice D in question 1

workout carcass

(D) Does the onset of other lysosomal storage diseases vary with the location of mutations in DNA sequences?

I just didnt mark this because of the word location.It is not dependent on location where the mutation is taking place but on the mutations themselves.

Can some one please clarify this.

Regards
Mudit
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM